K&P Engineering High Performance Stainless Steel Micronic Oil Filter

What kind of oil filter do you use? Diposable Paper or stainless steel?

• Disposable paper filter (Mann, etc.)

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • Stainless Steel (K&P Engineering High Performance Stainless Steel Micronic Oil Filter)

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I get the common sense part ... which is probably why I've not spent $100 on one lol ... just kidding. Seriously though it's not as common sense as one might think.

Let me give an example: let's say you have a half-inch water hose attached to your house that dumps into a pool with a drain. The drain has a 10" grate on it. You design a new grate that flows 7x more than the existing grate. Will water leave the pool faster than it enters from the half-inch hose?

Filippo

Reactions: Panzerfaust

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I get the common sense part ... which is probably why I've not spent $100 on one lol ... just kidding. Seriously though it's not as common sense as one might think.

Let me give an example: let's say you have a half-inch water hose attached to your house that dumps into a pool with a drain. The drain has a 10" grate on it. You design a new grate that flows 7x more than the existing grate. Will water leave the pool faster than it enters from the half-inch hose?

Filippo
Lol. depends on some specifics. COULD water flow faster through the grate? Yes. WILL it while using the hose to try to fill the pool? Can't, can only flow as fast or slower than the hose that feeds it.

Reactions: fmorelli

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Lol. depends on some specifics.
Exactly. Trick question - it looks complete. Common sense would yield an opinion, unless you realize that missing information yields different answers.

I have no idea what the flow characteristics of the oil system are. I would imagine BMW designed the oil filter, size-wise and maintenance interval-wise, to not cause oil flow reduction (there's common sense about to bite me) ... but I don't know.

So 7x in a lab - common sense tells me that means nothing in my specific situation.

Filippo

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Your right and 7x is brand new look at oiled air filters they plug up if you don't clean long enough. The oem ones flow much more consistently

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I would presume that a large part of the analysis depends on the oil pump and how pressure and / or flow rate is regulated. I’ll have to look into how the N54 oil pump works and whether there is any pressure / flow rate regulation (as with our electronic water pumps, for example), or whether it’s completely belt-driven and hence varies simply with rpm.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
@Jeffman while you are looking, take a few minutes and also look at the N55 - I believe they changed the oiling system design, and you might find the contrast worth noting.

Filippo

AUbeast86

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
New Market, AL
Ride
335i e92 6MT
@Jeffman do you have any results on this filter to share? I'd like to run this filter with a little heavier oil, say 10w60 (all the newer M cars are running Shell 10w60) in hopes of reducing the oil pressure to prevent blow-by.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I haven't read this thread, but if the question is if the oil pressure is controlled, the answer appears to be yes. There are oil pressure targets, PID loop, etc. 10w-60 seems awfully thick. Not worried about inadequate flow, especially if they've modified oiling clearances/channels/jets to go with that heavier oil?

IF this is correct, oil pressure setpoint table I defined in my rom (INA0S). X is oil temp (F), Z is target in psi.

poil_setpoint.png

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
I haven't read this thread, but if the question is if the oil pressure is controlled, the answer appears to be yes. There are oil pressure targets, PID loop, etc. 10w-60 seems awfully thick. Not worried about inadequate flow, especially if they've modified oiling clearances/channels/jets to go with that heavier oil?

IF this is correct, oil pressure setpoint table I defined in my rom (INA0S). X is oil temp (F), Z is target in psi.

View attachment 17085

Oil pressure is not PID controlled on N54. Those tables are there in the DME, but there is no used output from this.

• Informative
Reactions: Optigrab

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
N54 only reads if pressure drops below 7psi if im correct and has no pressure sensor. This does bring question if n55 sensor could be used and the msd81 has logic for it

AUbeast86

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
New Market, AL
Ride
335i e92 6MT

View attachment 17085

Yes, this would be a point of discussion as well.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
N54 only reads if pressure drops below 7psi if im correct and has no pressure sensor. This does bring question if n55 sensor could be used and the msd81 has logic for it

There are no "free" PWM outputs for it, even though the logic is technically there.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
@Jeffman do you have any results on this filter to share? I'd like to run this filter with a little heavier oil, say 10w60 (all the newer M cars are running Shell 10w60) in hopes of reducing the oil pressure to prevent blow-by.
Sorry not to reply sooner - this didn’t light up my alerts. I’ve been running the stainless filter with no apparent problems since July / 1,000 miles. I’d imagine it will work fine with 10w60. I like the idea of using a higher viscosity oil to reduce blow-by.