E9X Audio System Upgrades

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Here is a compilation of information about the E9X audio system and upgrades. This document is largely copied and draws heavily from:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641323

INTRODUCTION

1. When it comes to upgrading the audio system, you don't need to cut or splice into any harnesses no matter which stereo is equipped with your vehicle. There are a few harnesses which are made that make this unnecessary.
  2. There are four different audio systems that come in the E9X with a few variations:
    • Base/Stereo: 4 Mids + 2 underseats, no amp - Hint: look inboard of the mirrors at the A pillar...solid plastic instead of tweeters? --> Base
    • HiFi (Option 676): 4 mids, 2 underseats, 2 or 4 tweeters, analog amp<--EASIEST TO UPGRADE Hint: look inboard of the mirrors at the A pillar...tweeters? Yes & Center speaker in Dash: No? --> HiFi
    • Top Hifi/Logic 7 (Option 677)/Harman Kardon (Option 688): ~13 speakers, plus digital amp Hint: look inboard of the mirrors at the A pillar...tweeters? Yes & Center speaker in Dash: Yes? -->Top HiFi
    • Enhanced Premium Sound / Individual Audio (Option 752) (Brochure): ~16 speakers, digital amp Hint: look inboard of the mirrors at the A pillar...tweeters? Yes & Center speaker in Dash: Yes? AND See through speaker grilles with yellow speaker cones --> Individual Audio
    Due to the presence of analog, low-level, flat, balanced outputs, the HiFi option is the easiest to upgrade. If you have any of the others, you may be able to recode to HiFi
    Note: Within each, there are varying power levels (and in some cases different speakers), depending on the brain of the system: Non I-Drive Business HU (Option 662) Professional HU (Option 663) I-Drive M-ASK (Business Nav) CCC (Early Professional Nav) CIC (Current Professional Nav) BUT...the important part is figure out your basic physical (amp+speaker) topology.
  3. Once you've identified your audio system, you'll need to choose the type of upgrades you'll be interested in doing. A lot of people rip out the speakers from the Base system, code their stereo to the HiFi system to ditch the internal EQ and add an amp and upgraded speakers. Those with the HiFi system tend to install an upgraded amp and better underseat woofers. And folks with the Top Hifi/Logic 7 system often add a line out converter(LOC) and bring a dedicated sub into the picture. We will cover all of these options and more.

Select your system below:
If you are unsure, please reference the list above.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Base/Stereo

Just buy a new car.

Just kidding, this section is coming soon.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
HiFi

For those with HiFi, it is a bitter sweet situation. The stereo system is mostly dreadful but you are in the best position to upgrade. The base stereo has a built in EQ that does not present itself as a good signal to amplify, does not have a dedicated amplifier and the speakers are not very good quality. The Top Hifi/Logic 7 systems and similar operate over the MOST ring which is a fiber optic communication network, and the audio data is encoded in a proprietary way that makes using this signal useless to an ordinary amp. The solution here is to also recode the head unit as a HiFi output and upgrade the amp, or settle for using a Line Output Converter and adding just a sub.

Here is an example of the HiFi system before and after a JL XD600/6 drop in amp upgrade:

Here is an install video for the Technic harness and the JL XD600 amp using the OEM bracket:

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Has anyone upgraded their sound system in their cars? My first 335i had Logic 7 and the one I have now does not, just the normal HiFi sound system. I really am disappointed with the sound, has anyone upgraded?

I remember hearing a lot of people switching to the EQ-SWS-8x using some kind of adapter plate. I'm also curious how hard it is to bring back the center speaker on the dash as well as the directional tweeters behind the rear seats for the PDC retrofit I am planning on doing. Has anyone retrofitted those speakers without going to the Logic 7 MOST system? I'd rather use a stock location, aftermarket upgrade which makes use of those three missing speakers as well has integrates with the PDC directional tweeter capability.

Here are the speakers. These are upgrades for the mid bass woofers under your seats:

Eu7NHfi.png

https://www.amazon.com/Earthquake-Sound-SWS-8Xi-Shallow-Subwoofer/dp/B003R5NS9U

And these are the adapter plates:
02V7NFB.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G2MKGO...lid=1W26KYQOEC4P9&coliid=I2350VFVNV3M91&psc=1

Last edited:

TurboMike

Corporal
Nov 22, 2016
PA
So this fits in the stock sub location? I'm all about weight savings so I didn't want to add a sub in the back. But if I can increase bass by replacing the stock sub I'm interested in that.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
So this fits in the stock sub location? I'm all about weight savings so I didn't want to add a sub in the back. But if I can increase bass by replacing the stock sub I'm interested in that.
Correct. But let me make sure these brackets are for the mid bass roofers under the seats and not the doors.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Bump... I'm over the center speaker, but does anyone have experience with the Technic harness or any decent 6 channel amps with DSP?

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
@doublespaces,
I replaced the stock seat subs in my E90 with these SWS-8x (2 ohm) like years ago (2010), along with the Technic harness and a 300W amp mounted upside down on the trunk deck to power the subs. It's been working flawlessly ever since.

Last edited:

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
@doublespaces,
I replaced the stock seat subs in my E90 with these SWS-8x (2 ohm) like years ago (2010), along with the Technic harness and a 150W amp mounted upside down on the trunk deck to power the subs. It's been working flawlessly ever since.

Do you have logic 7 or just hifi? Do you recall the amp?

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
And I also replaced the crappy stock center speaker with a dual channel Infinity speaker. I don't remember which one. It seemed to give a little more "Room presence" to the sound. And then I replaced all of the remaining stock speakers with the Bavauto plug n play speakers. They sound very good. And this is all with a Logic 7 system.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Thanks. You probably have logic 7 already and just wanted a bass boost. I have the hifi system which is just not good. Doesn't get loud enough, bass is non-existent. I need at least a 5 channel amp, I'm hunting for one right now.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Here is some information I found about the Hi-Fi speakers:
qx8aecm.png

And attached is a document that explains all of them(except individual audio).

Attachments

• bmw oem audio systems tis.pdf
    849.2 KB · Views: 373

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Thanks. You probably have logic 7 already and just wanted a bass boost. I have the hifi system which is just not good. Doesn't get loud enough, bass is non-existent. I need at least a 5 channel amp, I'm hunting for one right now.
Correct 100%. E90post is good for this kind of stuff except half of the photos no longer exist.

• Agree
Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I bought a brand new JL Audio XD700/5 for $386 shipped. It does 100wx4 @ 2ohms + 300x1 @ 2ohms. So I should be able to blast some pretty nice mid speakers and max out the SWS8's. Next, I need to buy the technic harness, there is an "XD" option, but it seems to refer to the XD600/6, perhaps it is universal.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I spoke with Technic(yes he still sells the kits and actively responds to emails) and he clarified the XD option for the harness is to make the power a plug and play affair. It was made specifically for the XD600/6 but he said if it had a 50a fuse or less, it should work. The harness comes with an OEM connector to snap into the distribution block, there is a single and double blade option and you have to stick your finger into the available slot on your distribution block and figure out which one it is. I had the double blade slot available, so I ordered that one.

HmQqgfZ.png

Thanks to Dusty Waterfall @D-dub for the tips, I'm going to buy the 4 ohm SWS-8x and wire them in parallel, sending 150w to both woofers @ 2 ohms.