Upgrading Z4 E89s with the 677 Hi-Fi/DSP option or HK or Logic 7 system

MAX1983

Jun 5, 2023
So I gather 🙈😂

You can add either an amp piggy back of existing internal amp just to drive the subs…or you can get an external DSP amp that takes the 4 channels from your existing head unit and then that can drive your 6 current speakers plus a pair of subs…

To improve performance you need better speakers..you say you’ve sourced all 677 speakers?
hi thanks for getting back to me. I have already butchering the car for replacing the wiring of a microswitch in the rear shell, the cable was broken. When the amplifier is fitted in the car it is usually located on the side of the driver (UK); I know this as I have two z4 and the other one has the amplifier. in the other one which is the one where I want to fit the subs, there is nothing there. I really just need to know where a) I get the audio and b) the power to supply to the amplifier. or else I need to butcher at random. then I can do.
maybe if I look from the glovebox I could see if there is most or copper wire.

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
The audio will come off the back of the headunit..various folks provide custom adapters for their amps..power wise a fused wire of the main battery terminal is how I do it..eBay sell £10 kits to solve that problem…

I’ve never worked on el cheapo version but the 676 and 677 have compl different plugs for the amp in the boot..so by implication you’ll have to route the feed from the headunit to the boot..or in some cases folks have put the amp in the glovebox or nearby ..

I suspect when you open up the subwoofer boxes there will be no wires ‘ connectors in there…as the rear bulkhead material doesn’t have the speaker grills in it..

I do know that BMW even messed around with the speakers from 676 to 677 changing product quality although the woofers are the same

MAX1983

Jun 5, 2023
would you be able to advise where I can buy and what for

1. get the audio output from the head unit
  2. the amplifier i might need for these speakers
  3. a power supply that I can connect straight to the battery which turns the amplifier on and off automatically. This way I will not have to butcher the car too much I guess!

thanks!
Max

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Wee audio upgrade for the Zed this week… I had the E89 2015 basic BMW OEM 6 speaker set-up (blue speakers in diagram) , locations 1 -6. Sound wasn’t terrible, but I wanted a wee bit better.
I Upgraded to, ....
>> 9 Musway speakers, front components, rear coax all direct plug&play.

>> Musway M6v3 amp with DSP control; ~600 watts upgrade.

>> all custom fitted so not visible unless u go looking ( no drilling, no cutting, no car harness destroys, can all be put back to factory).

>> Amp & DSP installed under seat. (pas seat full fwd in pics).

>> Tuned via the BTA2 app module over blue tooth can control the DSP from laptop, but also from phone app.

Oooo yeah ... a modest plug&play Sub in the boot ... but you hardly notice that 🤫🤫🤫

Thanks to the guys at Musway UK for all their skill, knowledge, expertise.

MAX1983

Jun 5, 2023
I found this in my car I have just butchered it further. can you explain this?

Attachments

• IMG_20230605_151824.jpg
    IMG_20230605_151824.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 20

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Looks like the telematics box and the MULF aka Combox which looks after Bluetooth/ USB

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Or you can put two Alpine powered subs right behind the seats on the floor. The seats do not push back all the way to the rear bulkhead - there is enough room to do this. They are standing vertically here, but you turn them on their sides once done wiring. You need to get power and signal to them. Power is easiest from the trunk battery distribution box. You can mount the boxes with velcro on the rear carpet bulkhead, but honestly once the seats are back, these boxes can't go anywhere. Just an option.

IMG_20180516_134818.jpg