Best N54 Billet Aluminum Oil Filter Housing Cap?

Which would you have?

• Total voters

MaLo Industries

Feb 23, 2021
Thanks for all your the input. I will re-measure all of my stock plastic caps today, update my dimension and tighten my tolerance on the o-ring groove.
I'll run a new batch in a couple of weeks and make sure to eliminate this potential problem. I'm also kinda thinking about selling a new Mann filter with every new cap.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Thanks for all your the input. I will re-measure all of my stock plastic caps today, update my dimension and tighten my tolerance on the o-ring groove.
I'll run a new batch in a couple of weeks and make sure to eliminate this potential problem. I'm also kinda thinking about selling a new Mann filter with every new cap.
Excellent. And please let us know when you have the new caps with updated o-ring groove dimensions in stock as I’d like to exchange mine.
Thanks.

MaLo Industries

Feb 23, 2021
I double checked everything and the specs are in tolerance. Yes they are slightly under the size of the OEM but still bigger than the BMS I was supplied for reference.
The cap will seal if used with a good o-ring.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I would not supply with new oil filter and o-ring. Here's why. I've been in the product business and I know the more crap I have to put together for a simple product, the more complexity I have (stocking materials, packaging, dealing with backorders because lack of supply of one thing out of the supply chain stops you from shipping, customers wondering where their stuff is, added cost of shipping, one more QC thing to deal with - the oil and filter you send is now your product package, and I'll stop typing though could go on ....).

Simply if the instructions do not clearly state to install with a new o-ring, add it. No more. If people cannot figure out this out - an oil filter/o-ring is a common replacement item to any owner - then for the love of God don't further complicate your product/cost/delivery for the detriment of the 99% (of which you are included in that number) to deal with the 1%.

Great product. I'm happy with it and will recommend it to others.

Last edited:

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
has anyone already tried, or taken the measurements of the ali plugs?
It's just a question, I don't want to fuel a controversy :)

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
has anyone already tried, or taken the measurements of the ali plugs?
It's just a question, I don't want to fuel a controversy :)
what do you mean all the plugs?

btw those aliexpress caps are all crap imo, from what I see when I buy aliexpress stuff is generally anodizing is trash so it easily comes off. IDK why I have really bad experiences with Chinese products but that always seems consistent in that the anodizing is never perfect and chips in areas. Maybe prep work is not good. Next is I doubt the bird cage support is correct, and I also doubt the measurements are perfect so you might get leaks.

Overall I would never trust aliexpress things in such a critical area of my car.

Now before I get heat for this, imo alibaba and aliexpress bmw parts that I purchased in the past have never had great quality there is always somthing wrong. I do understand some bmw vendors purchase and resell bmw parts from alibaba suppliers. However, the difference between buying directly from China vs. from a reseller in the USA is that when you buy direct you can get screwed and end up with an absolute POS product and have to fight for a refund that might only be partial. But when you buy from the USA for instance bms, like I did with their phoenix racing charge pipes. One of the pipes came with a slight issue and immediately without question they sent me a replacement. No stress no hassle, and that is why I prefer to get stuff from a good vendor.

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
translation problem, I meant "Housing Cap"
I understand your point of view
I would also like to have quality products from the states, but I live on a small island in the Indian Ocean and the transport costs are a real rape .. sometimes it multiplies the price of the product by 2 and it is not counting the taxes al arrival.
So I'm looking for the best ratio: quality / price

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
translation problem, I meant "Housing Cap"
I understand your point of view
I would also like to have quality products from the states, but I live on a small island in the Indian Ocean and the transport costs are a real rape .. sometimes it multiplies the price of the product by 2 and it is not counting the taxes al arrival.
So I'm looking for the best ratio: quality / price
Oh I see, yeah no not many people buy those aliexpress caps so there is unlikely to be a measurement.

Yeah shipping to reunion island (judging by you profile) is quite expensive especially since most bmw vendors use UPS or Fedex and those guys charge crap loads of money + BS fees like brokerage... Talk to @MaLo Industries on getting an oil filter cap and crank seal plate (if you wanted), I just did a rough calculation of how much a box shipped from Canada via Canada post (what malo used to send me my package, and also a company with really good postage rates) to reunion would cost, and it is about $30 CAD for the cheapest option (actual price may vary), so not bad (another reason why I will always use Canada post compared to any of the other freight companies when given a choice).

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
Oh I see, yeah no not many people buy those aliexpress caps so there is unlikely to be a measurement.

Yeah shipping to reunion island (judging by you profile) is quite expensive especially since most bmw vendors use UPS or Fedex and those guys charge crap loads of money + BS fees like brokerage... Talk to @MaLo Industries on getting an oil filter cap and crank seal plate (if you wanted), I just did a rough calculation of how much a box shipped from Canada via Canada post (what malo used to send me my package, and also a company with really good postage rates) to reunion would cost, and it is about $30 CAD for the cheapest option (actual price may vary), so not bad (another reason why I will always use Canada post compared to any of the other freight companies when given a choice).
Yes that's right
, the island of REUNION. when the time comes, I will contact MALO
as a priority I had to take my BVA drain kit and install XHP.
but I discover I have to replace my injectors ....
I am sincerely sorry for the off topic and thank you for your opinion and your advice

Reactions: F87Source

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
@seb.apprenti your post is not off topic! It is actually quite on topic.

My friends in France with N54's have had good luck sourcing parts from China - a number of components have been very high quality. I have also had very good luck. And I have also gotten crap. The cap you listed is free shipping, so that's good. My friends in France, when shipping prices are high, will contact the seller. Often they will adjust the shipping cost to something reasonable. Shipping to France, from the USA, can be expensive. I do it a few times a year, to help a friend out.

Back to your question on the cap. I don't know anyone that has purchased one, at least in the USA, given we have reasonable selection from known companies in north america. I downloaded photos in larger format so people can at least take a look. Anodizing is not going to rub off - it's an electrolytic process, can be done at varying depths and quality, but what I see in the photo these is likely fine. When I use a socket wrench on top of an anodized fastener (like on the top of the oil cap), I always place a paper towel over it to help protect the finish. Anodized aluminum is not meant to withstand steel sockets.

One question I do have, which @F87Source noted, is what is up with the bird cage area? It looks rather different to me. Why there is a black hex fastener inside? What are the two studs seen in the photo? Aside from that, the machining is excellent, best as I can tell.

Coque-de-refroidissement-de-filtre-huile-de-moteur-en-aluminium-pour-BMW-s-rie-3-4.jpg_Q90.jpg...png
Coque-de-refroidissement-de-filtre-huile-de-moteur-en-aluminium-pour-BMW-s-rie-3-4.jpg_Q90.jpg...png

Reactions: seb.apprenti

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I'd want to know what those pins and black fastener are. Would be really nice to have that stuff come loose in your motor ........ save $50 and lose a $5,000 motor.

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
Je voudrais savoir ce que sont ces broches et ces attaches noires. Ce serait vraiment bien d'avoir ce truc se détacher dans votre moteur ........ économisez 50 $ et perdez un moteur de 5 000 $.
Oui je comprends
Je verrai avec le vendeur si je peux avoir des photos supplémentaires

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
@seb.apprenti your post is not off topic! It is actually quite on topic.

My friends in France with N54's have had good luck sourcing parts from China - a number of components have been very high quality. I have also had very good luck. And I have also gotten crap. The cap you listed is free shipping, so that's good. My friends in France, when shipping prices are high, will contact the seller. Often they will adjust the shipping cost to something reasonable. Shipping to France, from the USA, can be expensive. I do it a few times a year, to help a friend out.

Back to your question on the cap. I don't know anyone that has purchased one, at least in the USA, given we have reasonable selection from known companies in north america. I downloaded photos in larger format so people can at least take a look. Anodizing is not going to rub off - it's an electrolytic process, can be done at varying depths and quality, but what I see in the photo these is likely fine. When I use a socket wrench on top of an anodized fastener (like on the top of the oil cap), I always place a paper towel over it to help protect the finish. Anodized aluminum is not meant to withstand steel sockets.

One question I do have, which @F87Source noted, is what is up with the bird cage area? It looks rather different to me. Why there is a black hex fastener inside? What are the two studs seen in the photo? Aside from that, the machining is excellent, best as I can tell.

View attachment 51475View attachment 51476View attachment 51477
So I have a few suspicions about what that plug is for, on some caps there is a bung for an oil pressure sensor so that could be a delete for caps without it. Or it could be a hole where the cnc machine tool attached and they're covering it up idk. Or maybe they're trying to mimic the dent on the factory cap which is stupid because it's functionless and just a mark left by the injection molding tool.

If it is a plug for a would be oil pressure sensor that's pretty sketchy because does that mean the hex on the outside is just welded on for some models and not for others (I don't see any welds so maybe not unless they polished it off)? But If that's the case it could be really sketchy if that internal plug leaked and the outside welds aren't perfect you now have an oil leak.

Also the posts for the bypass base plate looks ok, idk if it's at the proper height which is another problem.

My last complaint is that color is terrible.

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
So I have a few suspicions about what that plug is for, on some caps there is a bung for an oil pressure sensor so that could be a delete for caps without it. Or it could be a hole where the cnc machine tool attached and they're covering it up idk. Or maybe they're trying to mimic the dent on the factory cap which is stupid because it's functionless and just a mark left by the injection molding tool.

If it is a plug for a would be oil pressure sensor that's pretty sketchy because does that mean the hex on the outside is just welded on for some models and not for others (I don't see any welds so maybe not unless they polished it off)? But If that's the case it could be really sketchy if that internal plug leaked and the outside welds aren't perfect you now have an oil leak.

Also the posts for the bypass base plate looks ok, idk if it's at the proper height which is another problem.

My last complaint is that color is terrible.
It is true that the color makes the eyes bleed.
I'm still waiting for the product images