Best N54 Billet Aluminum Oil Filter Housing Cap?

Which would you have?

• Total voters

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
So here is an improvement recently done on these oil filter housing lids to further improve the filter retention mechanism. I have update the original post but also included the section below for easier reading. But this really does make their oil filter housing cap the best in the market there literally is nothing that compares imo.

Edit - May 13, 2021:

After I was talking to malo industries a little bit more about cage retention strength and throwing ideas back and forth about how to make sure that the birdcage stay within the cap no matter what - even though it has not been an issue on their oil filter cap compared to the competitors out there which do leave the bird cage within the filter housing. Malo industries has now improved their bird cage retention mechanism by adding a groove to the bird cage supports . This means that when you unscrew the oil filter housing lid during oil changes the lid will rotate and catch onto the birdcage locking it in so it never stays stuck in the oil filter housing. This little update in the design of the cap essentially guarantees the bird cage will always come out of the oil filter housing and the oil will drain from the housing instead of spilling all over the place.

So another reason why the malo industries oil filter housing lid is the best on the market with this update you will never have to worry about oil spills during filter changes if the bird cage were to remain stuck. This also shows that malo industries cares about bmw owners and enthusiasts by constantly striving to improve their products based on feedback instead of just ignoring any potential issue, they strive for the best without compromise and their products reflect that.

Here is an Instagram video demonstrating the new update:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO0cR9fJLPW/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I'm not sure why it didn't automatically imbed the video so you might need to click the link.

TiAgAu

Corporal
Nov 18, 2018
Australia
Ride
08 335i
Just received malo cap the other day, honestly i think the cage will stay in fine seems quite firm. But yeah excellent idea 👍

IMG_20210511_133002.jpg

Reactions: F87Source

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Martial @ Malo was incredibly helpful in redesigning and replacing the oil filter cap. According to my special micrometer measurement technique the o-ring channel is at least 0.26mm wider than the first version, and closer to stock value I measured above, which should help prevent oil leaks. The top was also redesigned. See photos.
75A02210-2937-4959-A608-6467EA378A1F.jpeg

CAE8FDFA-41B6-4A85-A5D8-E5EEEBD5A9B7.jpeg

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Martial @ Malo was incredibly helpful in redesigning and replacing the oil filter cap. According to my special micrometer measurement technique the o-ring channel is at least 0.26mm wider than the first version, and closer to stock value I measured above, which should help prevent oil leaks. The top was also redesigned. See photos.View attachment 54784
View attachment 54785
Thanks for helping them revise it!

Are they going to sell a tool to open be cap now that it is stock wrench type? I'd hate for that anodized finish to get fucked up.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
So those that just bought the prior version that I assume from MaLo's updates, was not quite correctly sized .............. ?

Reactions: seb.apprenti

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
So those that just bought the prior version that I assume from MaLo's updates, was not quite correctly sized .............. ?
They were fine before (iirc as per measurements posted here they were in the same size range as other popular brands) but would pose an issue with reused O-rings, but he made the O-ring groove even bigger with this update so people who reuse old o-rings wouldn't have an issue.

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
@F87Source thanks for the clarification. So .... how do I say this nicely? Who the hell reuses an o-ring?!

Glad mine is fine.
The people that switch caps and didn't want to do an oil change yet. But yes I agree, who the hell reused o-rings and copper washers too.

Jeff did because his oil filter was so new he reused the old oring with the old filter, then it leaked because there was a couple thousand miles on it so the old oring was worn enough to not fit properly. So Malo made the oring groove a but bigger so there won't be any issues even if you use an old oring. But the prior design is still totally fine because it's within the same size range as all the other popular caps and iirc a bit bigger (In a non meaningful way because size differences between the caps are so small it's meaningless) than the bms cap too.

This was talked about a few pages earlier if you remember.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Yeah it's coming back to me.

I would not have redesigned it for a number of reasons (why do I want to over compress a new o-ring). Simply - note new o-ring. I mean cripes ... change the damn oil filter ... this is like I don't want to waste a tampon. You don't need to do a complete oil change for that. :rolleyes:

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
Yeah it's coming back to me.

I would not have redesigned it for a number of reasons (why do I want to over compress a new o-ring). Simply - note new o-ring. I mean cripes ... change the damn oil filter ... this is like I don't want to waste a tampon. You don't need to do a complete oil change for that. :rolleyes:
it's not that much bigger, just brings it closer to stock (still smaller iirc) and closer to the equivalent caps on the market.

Yeah but some people don't have oil filters on hand, and they just toss in the cap anyways and reuse old filters. Then when it leaks people tend to just blame the cap instead of their own mistakes and that's how a company might get bad rep. So malo just decided to refine that issue and make it non existent.

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
What about cap tool? Will the finish hold up to metal cap tool use?
It should be fine if you are careful with it and don't let the tool slide off. There's a but of at between the caps and the tool as well so make sure the tool is tight against the cap before applying torque as well and everything should be fine.

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
So here are some updates with the malo industries oil filter housing cap:

Coupon Code:

I have an update for you guys, Malo industries has given me a 5% off coupon code for everything in their store to share with you guys - that way you guys can save some money on cool mods!

Note: I do not make any money, commission etc with this coupon code.

Malo Industries Oil filter housing cap update:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQpMyKPpKv9/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Malo industries has recently released a new oil filter housing cap with a redesigned exterior and a few updates to the internals, these are small updates that further improves the original cap and cements this cap as the best one on the market imo. However if you owned the first generation cap an upgrade is not required. The original cap is still incredible, this new one just has a few updates but does not obsolete the original cap. Now lets discuss the changes further.

1) The new oil filter housing cap is a hexadecagon in design just like the original oil filter housing cap, and will utilize the same oil filter housing tool. This design was due to the huge demand from customers due to its more aesthetically appealing design.

2) The oil filter retention mechanism has been updated as well. In the past few months I have been talking to malo industries and what was discussed was that the oil filter housing cap should have a better filter retention mechanism. So that when you are removing the cap the oil filter and birdcage should come out every single time and not remain stuck inside of the housing preventing oil from draining and creating a big mess (this can occur with other aftermarket caps due to their retention tabs not being sufficient at holding on to the bird cage). To do this malo implemented a notch in the birdcage retention tabs keyed to lock into the bird cage when turning the cap counterclockwise. This design will not allow the birdcage to be stuck behind in the oil filter housing making sure it is removed with the cap every time.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CO0cR9fJLPW/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

3) The oil bypass base plate supports have been reduced in number to 4 equally spaced tabs that still perfectly support the oil bypass base plate which is critical. But now allows for even more oil flow to the oil bypass in the event it is required.

4) The O-ring groove on the second generation cap has been increased in diameter, this way it ensures there are absolutely no oil leaks if an old O-ring is reused. The difference is really minor and again doesn’t make the original cap obsolete, the reason why this change was implemented was because a few users have reported that their oil filter cap was leaking when an old O-ring was reused. This is expected because you cannot reuse old O-rings as they deform once the cap is torqued down. However malo wanted to address this issue so that when you get your new cap you can pop it on and use/test it temporarily without having to go out and buy a new filter. However it is still 100% necessary to change your O-ring every single time you remove your oil filter housing cap to prevent leaks, and it is still 100% recommended you install a new filter with your new cap. This update was to ensure no one ran into any issues just in case they neglected to use a new filter, which is occurring.

Overall this is a really nice little update package to what was already the best oil filter housing cap on the market imo, and I am really happy to see it!

Reactions: ShocknAwe