Before choose tuner, read me or get cheated. DocVu etuning process and result sharing

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Even though OP is frustrated with the ProMeth situation, I think he handled the situation very poorly. Firstly, even though Doc recommended ProMeth, it's inappropriate of OP to ask Doc to handle issues with the order. As for the price quote - Doc made an honest mistake. He's only human, and makes mistakes like everyone else. If OP can't handle this, it would be best for him to take his immaturity to a different platform. Doc has been nothing but great to me and by far has the best customer services after dealing with several other tuners. He's always been a stand up guy and it's unfortunate that he is getting put on blast by OP.
Wow ... another "person" that signed up just to tell us this sage perspective. This thread has more 1st posts than any I've seen here in 3+ years. How many more of these accounts will be created?

Amer

Mar 25, 2020
try to focus the main point:

1. A tuner can’t reach my 600bhp goal:if that’s the only issue. It’s no problem for me. Because I choose myself and he really provide the custom rom. So he really provide the service for what I paid (maybe just some complaint in my mind “he’s not so good as many people’s recommendation”)

2. Why I put relationship to tuner and vendor:At the beginning, I didn’t feel anything wrong of tuner too. So from 5/14 order confirm to 5/24, I tried contact with vendor all by myself. Only on 5/18, I emailed to tuner to say sorry that I suffered such thing, so I can’t take log for a couple day.
On 5/25, I try to ask tuner for help to have a local call to vendor to check if they are still in business, So I can tell that they cheated me if they still take other guy’s call or they really suffered something not be able to go on biz if they also not take local phone call. I think asking tuner to spend 30secs to have such local call should be reasonable since he suggests the vendor.
If tuner’s feedback is “No, I can’t help that”. It’s also OK although feel not so good. But if tuner feedback like below “usually take a few months for them to set up the kit and to ship it. I wouldn’t be worried”. Would you feel strange why he seems to know that situation in advance and just try to convince me that “it’s normal, just wait a few months, don’t worry about their disappear” That’s why I feel something wrong about tuner and vendor.
Guys, ask yourself when you buy something by someone’s suggestion, the shop response quickly before pay and disappear right after pay. And you ask someone to help to check something, he replies that “don’t worry, it’s normal”. Do you feel something wrong?

Finally, I still want to repeat that “It’s a public forum, everybody can share their experience no matter good or not only if it’s true not fake”. If you disagree that, just say why and what you based on, don’t focus on other things. I delete post on FB group because the group name is “N54 upgrade turbo tuners”. It’s really too rude to say loudly something bad in tuner’s shop. Not because anything wrong in my sharing. Somebody mentioned that many good experiences of this tuner like fast reversion, it’s true, it’s positive for this tuner”. But I still feel strange that why tuner just convince me that it’s a normal situation, don’t worry. Why not just take a call to clarify what happen to the vendor? Why you seem to know that situation in advance, you don’t remind anything?

Guys, if you suffer the same situation, then you still feel normal and feel that will receive the stuff in a few month. I think you should be the crazy supporters of the tuner. But I’m a normal guy, I have common sense that what’s normal, what’s wrong. So, that’s why I share the experience here.

View attachment 54171

whole story :

Hi, everyone. All the experience is real and can be proven by message/mail/web record.

A. 2/9 get contact w/ DocVu, provide my detail mod list and ask the tunning fee, and Vu reply $350. My goal is 600bhp, about 510 whp ( that’s after lots of research, my setup should be easily to make it ). Vu initially start to introduce prometh and pi meth……
[fig 1-6]

B. From 2/9~ 4/17, I do a lot research again to check if I really have to do PI meth to meet my goal, and my conclusion is “No”. During this period, I also do my maintenance, including brand new index12 injectors, dephi coils, and 2 colder 020gap spark.

C. 4/17 I decides to choose DocVu by most people on FB recommendation. After I paid $350 by paypal, Vu ask to pay more $100 (because he doesn’t notice I’m 17t) + $20 (because I don’t use “gift” function in paypal, actually I don’t have gift function in paypal). But I still choose to accept it just ask him to have a no-meth version for free, and that’s deal.
[fig 7-9]

D. From 4/17 to 5/1, after 5 revisions, Vu said that’s the result of my setup. During the process, I solve my compressor pulley issue. And Vu keep asking prometh and overdrive and 3.5bar(I had it) to more psi. I used virtual dyno and dyno log to check the power curve and simulate the dyno (about 450whp, 650nm), and will do the real dyno.
[fig 10-12]

E. 5/6 have the sad dyno result (blue/red for rev4/5), about 450whp and 650nm. Pretty close to the virtual tools. I ask to more improvement because many guys can easily over 500whp by 17t/93oct/meth, even the stock turbo.
[fig 13]

F. From 5/7 to 5/11, Vu ask to take my own charge pipe meth risk and start more than 20psi tuning. After 5 revision w/ meth% from 70 to 90, still mix cyl misfires. Since Vu try to do that but fail, I made my decision to go prometh as Vu suggestion. And Vu said that w/ prometh I can hit 550whp.
[fig 14]

G. From 5/12 to 5/24, I start to check my orginal snow kit fittable w/ prometh Rodney. Prometh always answer my question quickly after a couple hour. And I ordered the kit on 5/14. Just after my order, I wish to confirm my nozzle spec to them but they disappear. Regardless customer service, phone, email, FB, ig… They just disappear. I also ask for help on FB group, and also have the same case which is cheated by prometh.

[fig 15-18]

H. 5/24 I ask help to Vu calling Prometh to make sure if they are still in business. ( Prometh local biz time in Cal. is my local time 23:30 to 08:00, and I still try several times to call them ). To my big surprise, Vu said prometh usually take a few months to prepare the kit…. WTF, that really make me question about the relationship between Vu and prometh. If that’s long time required to do the preparation, prometh should have statement before order. Even though not, they don’t need to hide…. So by common sense, they are cheating me.
[fig 19]

Till now Prometh still not ship out. Do the sharing to all, hope that will help for those seeking etuner.
I’m sorry you had a bad experience here, for what it’s worth doc has never done me wrong. I came from a very big tuner in the n54 world (won’t mention names) to doc because he’s always quick to respond and always gives me his honest input. I think the whole him working for Prometh accusation is a little far fetched just because I’ve had him recommend me things for my car from all types of vendors. You’re entitled to your own opinion which I respect but I figured I’d give my opinion too cause I’d hate to see a forum post negatively affect someone’s business. Personally in your case I don’t think it’s really the tuners job to contact a vendor to get parts for your car, and the payment thing you mentioned (going up in price) I mean mistakes happen seems like a honest mistake and you were okay with it and still wanted to proceed. I just want to say for what it’s worth DocVu tuning has done nothing but helped me out and only made my car run better and faster!

• Dumb
Reactions: carabuser

Johnpaul

Jun 6, 2021
There are more or less really a few things I have to say surrounding this post (I saw the initial one on another N54 page).

First and foremost, the overwhelming majority of parts for this platform are either made to order, or drop shipped from China. I am not sure which route Prometh goes, but really, patience is key here. Some vendors will have product and ship out quickly, other times you will be waiting (I waited over a month for downpipes at the beginning of Covid), it’s sort of a pain but it is what it is. Anyhow, with all of that said, given that you live in California and have access to E85 I’d completely skip the meth route and go with an ethanol mix on PI.

Next, in regard to DocVu, while some may regard him as a ‘Facebook tuner’, which isn’t necessarily wrong, that doesn’t mean he’s not currently one of the best N54 tuners, aside from making killer tunes that hundreds to thousands of us are happy with, it is true that his customer service is far above and beyond what would be expected from a single payment at the beginning of the process.

I feel that many of the issues explained here derive from a miscommunication. I am quite sure Doc would’ve been happy to refund you if you had any issues with the extra payment that needed to be made. You need to take responsibility for the fact that you chose to pay for this tune, and chose DocVu over other tuners for a specific reason, whether it was pricing, speed or customer service.

With all of this said, I have two more lingering thoughts. It’s incredibly important that you don’t listen to the people talking about the power they’re making on pump, pump meth, no PI/overdrive etc especially on twins. Very few of these people have ever gotten a dyno and just love to make bold claims, my favorite common one is that MHD Stage 2+ is 400whp, an absolutely hilarious number I hear daily. Moreover, this platform as a whole can be quite heartbreaking, you should feel blessed this is all you’ve had to deal with thus far, and prepare for far more unanticipated delays, expenses etc. Good luck.

Last edited:

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
without criticism, just to give my impression, i think the doc made a communication error.
the customer says: my parts list is XXX, my fuel is XXX and I want 600hp ... is it possible?
apparently the doc said: yes it is possible and that is the error.
why am I saying that? It's simple .... last year I did the same "stupidity" as the customer ... I told him: I'm going to buy a lot of parts (7.5 'intercooler, inlets, outlets, wmi, 17 or 19T, walbro and many other things)
do you think 600 whp is possible? he told me: yes but that I had to take a JB4 in addition.
i asked ken wedge the same question and the answer was not the same.
ken told me he couldn't give me a hp count as he didn't know the health of my car and the quality of my fuel, but he would do his best to get the best out of my setup.
I find his response to be very honest and professional.

I'm not trying to create a controversy, I just wanted to share my experience with you
(I hope that google translate did its job well)

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
All these new accounts for a facebook/instagram tunah? Very impressive. This guy is more liked than anyone else in the the history of the n54. Someone could talk shit about any other tuner, manufacturer, Chinese turbo reseller, etc. and you would never see this many new accounts and people defending said company. It is impressive if they are all legit accounts.

Someone claimed he has tuned a 1000 people? $350 per tune = 350k whistle blowers get what 15%?

I must say as impressive as this all is I think I will stay with Motiv.

kylerwinters

Lurker
May 25, 2019
Ride
335xi
All these new accounts for a facebook/instagram tunah? Very impressive. This guy is more liked than anyone else in the the history of the n54. Someone could talk shit about any other tuner, manufacturer, Chinese turbo reseller, etc. and you would never see this many new accounts and people defending said company. It is impressive if they are all legit accounts.

Someone claimed he has tuned a 1000 people? $350 per tune = 350k whistle blowers get what 15%?

I must say as impressive as this all is I think I will stay with Motiv.
Stick with who you like. I recommend doc to my clients due to the customer service and mainly quick response times. My client blew his turbos when his setup was overboosting. He kept driving it for a week waiting on a revision from Twisted Tuning. Not the tuners fault but if he had several revisions from his tuner to compensate, he would have not blown them.

Reactions: VasN54 and Torgus

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Stick with who you like. I recommend doc to my clients due to the customer service and mainly quick response times. My client blew his turbos when his setup was overboosting. He kept driving it for a week waiting on a revision from Twisted Tuning. Not the tuners fault but if he had several revisions from his tuner to compensate, he would have not blown them.

For that specific situation he should have just went back and flashed an OTS map or kept his foot out of it right? Shame to lose an engine or turbos waiting on a tune revision.

edit: I guess some people need to learn the hard way.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: GreyNBlueE92

kylerwinters

Lurker
May 25, 2019
Ride
335xi
There is alot of good tuners for this platform but OP is trying to tarnesh a tuner I have respect for because he is acting like a impatient todler.
For that specific situation he should have just went back and flashed an OTS map or kept his foot out of it right? Shame to lose an engine waiting on a tune revision.

edit: I guess some people need to learn the hard way.
Yeah, no doubt. Not the smartest choices by my client haha. Replacement turbos are installed. I'm sure he learned his lesson.

Reactions: VasN54 and Torgus

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Or if he kept his foot out of it? I mean ... seriously ... some bizarre rationale here! Turbos brought a lot of car idiots to BMW. I'm still getting used to this being considered normal - that someone with clients could say a tuners lack of response has anything to do with a client needing a tune and driving the shit out of their car in the meantime and blowing it up ... unreal.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Or if he kept his foot out of it? I mean ... seriously ... some bizarre rationale here! Turbos brought a lot of car idiots to BMW. I'm still getting used to this being considered normal - that someone with clients could say a tuners lack of response has anything to do with a client needing a tune and driving the shit out of their car in the meantime and blowing it up ... unreal.
Forget the octagon....can u open up a Facebook section to put this where it belongs ?

deancass2000

Jun 9, 2021
Wow ... another "person" that signed up just to tell us this sage perspective. This thread has more 1st posts than any I've seen here in 3+ years. How many more of these accounts will be created?
And what is the point of your post? When people hear of someone with a very good reputation getting bashed why wouldn’t they want to defend that reputation for that person?
So I guess im another “person” that signed up to speak up for doc vu. Trust me, the guy is legit and a great tuner. My 335i with RB GF twins is tuned by him putting down 700+rwhp running jb4 with port injection @28psi. My logs are flawless and 2 other tuners, 1 very well known guy, didn’t even come close to getting my car running as good as doc vu! One tuners famous expression was “you got a throttle closure here” hint hint.....
Doc Vu is the real deal, never let me down and very responsive 24/7 for questions.
By the way, people posting to a forum where multiple members are reading their post is not a “sage” perspective.....check that.

• Dumb
Reactions: carabuser

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
VPNs are not magic, we are not stupid, it's plain as day. This is this most reputable, reliable, fastest, most in detailed responding tuner that has ever graced the N54 or even any car for that matter. We are talking about the best tuner there ever was, the tuna that swims in the sea, the tuna everybody loves, the tuna everybody knows, this is the tuna inside of every tuna sandwich loving car owner there ever was. We should give him more credit... What other tuner has this kind of a cult following? In fact I'm even thinking of giving up on tuning the car myself calling up the Doc to see if I could get the Sauce. Maybe he'll cut me a discount if I leave a good review?? Time will tell.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
And what is the point of your post? When people hear of someone with a very good reputation getting bashed why wouldn’t they want to defend that reputation for that person?
So I guess im another “person” that signed up to speak up for doc vu. Trust me, the guy is legit and a great tuner. My 335i with RB GF twins is tuned by him putting down 700+rwhp running jb4 with port injection @28psi. My logs are flawless and 2 other tuners, 1 very well known guy, didn’t even come close to getting my car running as good as doc vu! One tuners famous expression was “you got a throttle closure here” hint hint.....
Doc Vu is the real deal, never let me down and very responsive 24/7 for questions.
By the way, people posting to a forum where multiple members are reading their post is not a “sage” perspective.....check that.

Drop the act, most people on here know obvious samefagging when they see it.

TOR makes changing your IP really easy but the problem is that don't control the signature of that IP. If @doublespaces checks the IP record of all these account logins I'm willing to bet they don't return to the same ISP.

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
wow wow, so you tell us that there is a reputable tuner who failed to tune your car, but the doc did .... dentist tuner and magician ... can he sing whitney houston ??? if so, with all its qualities, quickly register it as "america's got talent".
to come back to the post, a client is unhappy with the work (justified dissatisfaction or not ...) and there a lot of cheerleaders, the doc's fanclub comes to cry scandal.
everyone is free to think, everyone is free to speak. there is no dictatorship here. The funniest thing is that officially the DOC has not reacted, so it does not pay too much interest (it is legitimate).
girls, you're going to have to loosen your panties, no one is dead.
this message should be taken with humor of course ... to sum up, there is just one customer who is not satisfied ... that's life

• Agree
Reactions: SlowE93