Before choose tuner, read me or get cheated. DocVu etuning process and result sharing

VasN54

Apr 19, 2021
Is this serious?

Let me start this thread by saying I use DocVu for tuning. And I just have to say: He's a good tuner with fantastic customer service. He's helped me diagnose many issues with my car while we've been doing the tuning. I swear, he doesn't sleep because I work a night shift, and he always replies to me whether I'm working or it's on my off days. OKAY he had issues with charging you, mistakes were made, it happens and it got corrected. Also, if you don't select Friends and Family on Paypal, he wont receive full payment. Also, some could make some bogus claims to paypal about how they didn't receive it (and PP will ALWAYS side with the payer) It's not fair for him to not go through F&F.

This sounds as if you believe DocVu owns Prometh. He doesn't. He's simply seen some of his customers use their stuff and have good luck with it. I remember seeing this guy post on the Facebook groups as well, he lives in Korea. Unfortunately, the world is in a "pandemic" right now and EVERY part that I order has been delayed in the shipping process. It sounds as if your beef is with Prometh. I recommend shooting him a message, he's a nice guy and I've had no problems with him.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Judging by your poor English, I'm assuming you are located in Europe. I also assume due to the recommendation of a meth kit, you have no access to higher octane fuel. Basically, all I'm hearing you tell everyone is, DocVu has been responding and working with you but you are just acting like an entitled brat when he won't contact ProMeth for you.
Shipping address shows Baldwin Park, Ca 🤷🏾‍♂️

ThatStock340

Jun 1, 2021
Ok first off asking Vu to refund you for a tune once one was provided because your car "didn't make the power that the internet said it should" is honestly aggravating since it's not solely on the tuner to make the car make those numbers if you don't provide him with a 100% propper car. Your car isn't making proper power due to fuel and lack of meth to account for the garbage octane that you have where you are located. It is not Vu's fault for your car not making 500+hp on 93 octane get better hardware aka port meth or port injection and run a better fuel ie 100+ octane or e85

Second, just because he offers input as to how you can make the power you want aka port meth injection and he recommends a brand of port meth it is not on him to provide you with the connection to the company or for him to spend time that he could be writing tunes for other people or even his actual job. The fact that you are telling him to pay for the meth kit you purchased without understanding that they are made to order and take time to ship internationally, due to customs and shipping and so on. Like, come on you sound like a typical Karen.

Vu has had my back with my car for 4+ years I owned a stock turbo n54 135 that went 8.7X 60-130 thanks to him and had an insane time with the car beating almost everything that I raced. Shoot he even helped me diagnose issues with my friend's car completely for free. Vu has been nothing but a great tuner and friend over the last few years and has helped me so much when it came to talking to him at odd hours of the night or just shooting the shit about cars or life.

People like you in the community are the reason why it sucks. Also has anyone questioned the dyno numbers yet? Like we all know cars read differently on each dyno. Just because it made 4XX hp on one and 4XXhp on virtual dyno why are we taking that as the word. Like shoot, I've never once dynod any of my BMW powered cars but I have used virtual dyno and man if you have the weights for the vehicle off or tire sizes wrong the numbers are wonky. Post some 60-130 times or any datalogs for clarity bud.

In short this guy is pulling at strings to try and drag an amazing tuner through the mud over his impatientness. A tuner who will bend over backwards sending over 6 revisions once for me while i was at the track and going for a personal best, and that night we got my new pb 11.36 on a stock turbo n54 135 with over 120k miles on stock turbos. IF YOU FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS AND REQUESTS YOUR CAR WILL WORK BUT PATIENCE IS KEY!

RossAbroad

May 31, 2021
* I show as new member, but could not recover my old account.***

So I have a few things to say about this post. I have firsthand knowledge of your setup as I am in the same boat in terms of fueling option and mods. I have had two different tunes with the Doc and I have been more than happy with both. But let’s look past my experience and into what you have presented.

First, when it comes to recommending a company, there is no responsibility that should come to the person that recommended it. Those issues, the buyer will need to handle. With that said I have the exact setup that the Doc prescribed to you, and it in fact it works great, but more about that later. Now, it did take about 2 weeks for them to ship, and when they did ship, one of the check valves had the wrong flow direction, making the kit not usable until I received the correct one. I did reach out to them and they got the correct one sent out with no issue. I can’t speak to the whereabouts of that company however it was the weekend plus a federal holiday in the states. I suggest that you give them a call, I called like three times and a nice lady with a real hard country accent answered each time and was very professional and answered all of my questions.

Next, there the price quote. That to me was an honest mistake and if the 100 dollars is a deal breaker then I would recommend to move away from the n54. This is something that both you and the Doc can work through. That is really all I have to say about that.

Now, a little back ground to my current setup. I have a 2008 e92 335i, i would be considered the normal FBO, and have upgraded turbos and meth injection. I don’t have your conventional turbo build, but I will explain. I took my factory turbos, ripped them apart checked all the tolerances and began the rebuild. I ordered a kit from Taiwan that had larger billet compressor wheels, and a 9 blade high flow turbine wheel. The compressor wheel measure 39.5/51.00mm, it is considered a 14T 6+6 super back. The turbine wheel is the same size as factory just more blades for a higher flow. I machined the CHAR’s to accept the larger wheel and assembled them with the turbolabs rebuild kit. I am located in UAE so I have no one in the country that can machine the compressor housing for the larger compressor wheel. So I sent he assembled CHAR’s to the UK for machining and VSR balancing.

Once I got them back I got them installed and got with the doc for a tune. After getting the base tune from him and going back and forth for about a week, we came to a stopping point to. That stopping point was a fueling issue. We only have 98RON (93.5OCT), so single point CP meth injection was my only saving grace. I was able to get to 22 PSI at or around 8.5 degrees of clean timing, no drops. We did try to add a pound or two, but the car was running lean, there was timing drops all over the place and my WGDC was getting to the high 60% range. I was maxing the turbo build out and was limited on fuel. After a few weeks I was able to get onto the dyno and I performed 481whp and 472 ftlb torque, on a dynocom. The pull was in 4th gear and was the 3 pull of the 8 I did. Lowest was 461whp, out of the 8 pulls. This was in June if last year, about 105 F ambient and 50% humidity. As a note, all dynos are different some are fair, and some are not fair. I have heard that there can be 30-50HP difference on some models.

After that dyno day and the summer I did research on PI and if it was for me. Well to be honest spraying more of the same fuel into the cylinders seems pointless. I was not running out of fuel, I was out of octane for desired boost levels. So I decided to look into direct port meth, mainly because I already have most of the setup. There are plenty of options out there, Snow Performance has a plate that takes the 1/8NPT meth nozzles, devils own makes a kit, coolingmist, and twisted tuning have a similar setup that snow performance has and of course ProMeth. After all my searching I went with ProMeth, one for the fuel rail style, so there is even distribution and two I wanted to run a check valve on each port so there is no siphoning on start up.

Once I got this kit installed and ready to rock I contacted the Doc for a new PI meth tune. Again, about a week or so of back and forth of logs, we got to where I am at right now. I have not got to a dyno but I have no timing drops though the full pull averaging 9 degrees at peak 24 Psi @ 70% WGDC. My guess is that I am knocking at the door of 500 but, I do not have the sheet to prove that. I am currently rebuilding some MMP stg3 turbos, that the doc will tune, and I will go for 575-600 with solid timing and my current setup.

Some takeaway bullet points

- I feel your pain on not getting the hp you think you should have, but that is because of the fuel limitation. With your 17t’s, an E60 fuel blend, a 50/50 meth mix with a C in the CP for IAT’s, you could probably see 500 whp at 24 PSI easily, this is just not the case.

- Any issues with a vendor should be taken up with them. Get a hold of your bank show them, that there is no communication, and they have not shipped. They “should” refund you and go after the company. ProMeth is a big company and has been around for a long time, I would not think they are burning a guy for 600 USD.

- I have not been on this forum much, but plenty of other n54 and BMW pages. This one of the only times I have heard issue with the Doc.

- As for a refund for the tune, you got the tune and are over 150 WHP, over stock. This is limited due to your set up. If you been around before you will know nothing is a guarantee. When and if you get your fueling taken care of I am sure he will get you to where you want to be.

- Bashing a tuner because of not getting you to the number you want is crazy. There are plenty of tuners either custom or OTS maps that can just throw more boost in and get you to that 500+ HP, but at a cost of dirty timing, lean conditions, which in time will led to knock and burnt piston rings.

I hope that you can digest this in and understand, that between my experience and everyone else I have seen deal with the DocVu, this is a one off situation that should be rectified easily and all negative comments about the Doc should be removed unless you have factual and most importantly logical proof of an unjust tuning transactions.

Attachments

• 0C0CC312-105E-419B-B290-E7B543D32625.jpeg
    0C0CC312-105E-419B-B290-E7B543D32625.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Dumb
Reactions: carabuser

boosted.n54

Lurker
Oct 28, 2019
Ride
2008 BMW 335xi
[ADMIN EDIT]

Posts are not deleted or removed very often, however the content of this post contained enough vulgarities and harassment that it overshadowed any potential value of the post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slowagon54

Corporal
Aug 21, 2020
Now it makes sense why he did delete his post right after publishing. However, no need to be rude anyway.

I ll say it again - If you want a proper tune, get in touch with V8bait. ;-)

Chalk335xi

Jun 1, 2021
Blaming doc vu for your issue with prometh is probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. I know doc and his team personnel. There is absolutely no connection at all. Unfortunately that’s how tuning goes. Your unhappy with the tune for some reason but that doesn’t mean the tuner should give you a refund. He still put his work into it. Go with ken or any other tuner and you will see what it is to really be disappointed. Doc vu had tuned hundreds of cars. He is one of the best N54 tuners out there. Broken plenty of records as well. Stop crying and man up. And yes I’m a new member. I don’t have the time to be on forums all day. But I’ll always have my tuners back.

Mattdrake27

May 5, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
Just want to give a little background as to Phuong’s situation as there seems to be some confusion there. He is a Dentist full time. He works in the ghetto of an large city where he provides medial care to people that need it. His patients are mostly Medicare. He gets like $27 for doing a filling. That’s not even enough to cover the cost of the materials. But he has heart to stay and work in that area to help people instead of making $200k a year somewhere else. I literally handed him an opportunity with a company making $150-200k easy and he refused and continued helping this impoverished area. He also has a passion for tuning. So he provides that service as well and is damn good at it.

As far as the “stripper” PayPal account, as some asshat referred to goes, that is his girlfriend Misty who has lost her job this past year and she has children to support so you know what Phuong does? His big ass heart has his tuning customers send money to her so she doesn’t get evicted and can put food on the table for her kid. Phuong literally lives to help others.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
It's not fair for him to not go through F&F.

Real businesses don't ask you to send money via F&F. Period.

As far as the “stripper” PayPal account, as some asshat referred to goes, that is his girlfriend Misty who has lost her job this past year and she has children to support so you know what Phuong does? His big ass heart has his tuning customers send money to her so she doesn’t get evicted and can put food on the table for her kid. Phuong literally lives to help others.

Asshat here. Not surprising Misty has children and no job and is about to be evicted. Every misty I have met has been a train wreck ;) granted my sample size is small. Using a girlfriend's paypal account for your business is simply a bad business decision and still sketchy. Just put the money in your own account and hand/transfer her cash. My guess is his paypal account got locked/frozen and he is using hers instead so he can continue to be paid.

Nice to see the DocVu brigade has arrived by the way, I have never seen such passion for a tunah. All these new accounts with zero posts!

Let me get this straight, the story is the guy makes no money at his day job(but he could make 200k+), so he then makes no money on his part time job. Yup, that makes sense.

Mattdrake27

May 5, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
Real businesses don't ask you to send money via F&F. Period.

Asshat here. Not surprising Misty has children and no job and is about to be evicted. Every misty I have met has been a train wreck ;) granted my sample size is small. Using a girlfriend's paypal account for your business is simply a bad business decision and still sketchy. Just put the money in your own account and hand/transfer her cash. My guess is his paypal account got locked/frozen and he is using hers instead so he can continue to be paid.

Nice to see the DocVu brigade has arrived by the way, I have never seen such passion for a tunah. All these new accounts with zero posts!

Let me get this straight, the story is the guy makes no money at his day job(but he could make 200k+), so he then makes no money on his part time job. Yup, that makes sense.
Well if you really want to go there without going into too much detail his girlfriend has a disability that renders her not to be able to work in her field. Making it hard for her to make the living that she needs to. She was an office manager somewhere. She’s a great person and it’s sad you would stoop to that level.

Anyway Doc runs his tuning business like he does because it’s a hobby of his. He’s providing a service. He has no need to spend money for websites or business accounts ect. He has more than enough clientele to justify the investment just from satisfied customer word of mouth.

I agree though that he should be using his own PayPal and I’ve discussed that with him but is his choice. His PayPal works just fine. You are speculating and throwing out assumptions painting him in a way that might land you some legal paperwork.

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
I agree though that he should be using his own PayPal and I’ve discussed that with him but is his choice. His PayPal works just fine. You are speculating and throwing out assumptions painting him in a way that might land you some legal paperwork.
Suing over a post on a forum, it's sad anyone would stoop to that level. Torgus just stated some facts and instead of a reply that proves anything we got a sob story.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
He has no need to spend money for websites or business accounts ect. He has more than enough clientele to justify the investment just from satisfied customer word of mouth.

So he is running a non legit business and not paying taxes on his income by funneling the money into his girlfriend's bank account via PayPal by only accepting 'Friends and Family' for payments instead of correctly accepting 'Goods and Services' for payments. All while using the [email protected] email address. Understood. What a great American. Thanks for making this VERY clear. Now what could someone do with this information? I wonder what paypal would say? Or the IRS? Or both ;)

PLEASE tell me about this legal paperwork you speak of. I truly love when people speak so knowledgably on the laws of our country. I find it a fascinating subject don't you? PLEASE go on in detail.

Last edited:

Mattdrake27

May 5, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
Suing over a post on a forum, it's sad anyone would stoop to that level. Torgus just stated some facts and instead of a reply that proves anything we got a sob story.
He has nothing to prove. That wasn’t a sob story. It was facts to his his actual character. What is it that your wanting him to prove? The fact the OP has crap fuel and needs octane and Phuong suggested a viable solution? I don’t know what your after here. If we did what the customer wanted and he blows up the car he’d be in here crying that the tune blew up the car.

I didn’t say anything about suing. You assumed that again. There’s plenty of other means available to remove false and non-factual based statements defamatory in nature.