2018 N54 Predictions

Alex

Lurker
Nov 21, 2016
Bay Area
Ride
2007 E92 335i MT
Just a few months ago Tony was bashing Omar for his "stock motor stock AT" half mile record. Said something along the lines of "just means you're too broke to upgrade your trans"

Now that the Aussies are doing work with the Powerglide, suddenly it's "cheating" and "no effort"

does_not_compute.gif

I think tony's point is that a 2 speed transmission is something strictly confined to a 1/4 mi. An actual useful upgrade that would help the n54 community would be something that is useable on a track/strip and on the road. In terms of the DCT, if everyone simply dropped any interest in controlling the DCT and went with a powerglide the platform doesnt really advance. We need realistic upgrades that are optimized for drags/tracks but can be used in DD. A 2 speed record is cool but not really helpful for most of us.

The ideal n54 is one that can put down some good numbers at a track then be driven home and to work. The whole original appeal of the n54 was the cost of performance mods that didn't really sacrifice driveability. If you go down the 1/4 only route for a build, you might as well pick a different platform unless you only care about an n54 record at any costs.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Just a few months ago Tony was bashing Omar for his "stock motor stock AT" half mile record. Said something along the lines of "just means you're too broke to upgrade your trans"

Now that the Aussies are doing work with the Powerglide, suddenly it's "cheating" and "no effort"

does_not_compute.gif

I reckon it’s harder/more involved getting a glide adapted than it is to upgrade a standard trans or buy an off the shelf trans swap like the 4l80.
Tony Talks trash about everyone’s achievements and i think he genuinely means well just doesn’t filter what he types.

ccbsecu

Corporal
Nov 26, 2017
Ride
135i
I reckon it’s harder/more involved getting a glide adapted than it is to upgrade a standard trans or buy an off the shelf trans swap like the 4l80.
Tony Talks trash about everyone’s achievements and i think he genuinely means well just doesn’t filter what he types.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn:)

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
VTT Vicarious Turbo Troll? I'm sure someone can come up with something better.

2018 prediction: upgraded stock frames or cheap chinese cast will continue to fail. More will switch to singles.

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
Tony can you say one or two more things about each of these predictions (expound a bit)? Thanks ...

Filippo
Currently many fueling upgrades are way overpriced, we have helped test a few products for a fueling company (PFS) releaseing a full line up in Q1 2018. Company was started, and is ran by a good friend of ours. The second, tired of poor installs, etc causings issues with silicone outlets. I actually like them, they work well, and are great sellers, but they have become a bit of a pain. We have aluminum outlets, along with a bunch of other stuff coming in 2018.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I'll start a new thread on this one...but DCT breakthroughs just happened in Russia in December 2017. Looks like we have an enterprising individual who has figured out how to put full M3 hardware on his 335is DCT and then flash the DCT TCU with the M3 GTS flash and have it fully operational. There are some quirks that are being worked out, but right now everything is showing as operational except the M Power button. They havent tested launch control yet, but all the different S1-S7 drive modes, D modes, and M modes work including M Dynamic mode, Drivelogic, and all DSC options. The DSC options is the more interesting one because that seems to foreshadow the capability of having DSC fully off during launch control like the M3.

Pay attention to the BOV sounds during the rev. Also notice the flaw with the tach having issues. But this is a 335is with fully functional M3 DCT controls:

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Oh, one more thing. Turns out the existence of the M button is key to allowing fully functional launch control. There is a hardware layer (shifter and buttons), a software layer (M3 GTS TCU flash), and a coding layer (additions to your VO and other coding options). But man.... @Tony@vargasturbo might want to go buy a DCT gearbox soon :)

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I'll start a new thread on this one...but DCT breakthroughs just happened in Russia in December 2017. Looks like we have an enterprising individual who has figured out how to put full M3 hardware on his 335is DCT and then flash the DCT TCU with the M3 GTS flash and have it fully operational. There are some quirks that are being worked out, but right now everything is showing as operational except the M Power button. They havent tested launch control yet, but all the different S1-S7 drive modes, D modes, and M modes work including M Dynamic mode, Drivelogic, and all DSC options. The DSC options is the more interesting one because that seems to foreshadow the capability of having DSC fully off during launch control like the M3.

Pay attention to the BOV sounds during the rev. Also notice the flaw with the tach having issues. But this is a 335is with fully functional M3 DCT controls:

Sounds like a supercharged M3 with bov to me. Start up is M sounding also, and every detail you can see in the interior is an M part.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Sounds like a supercharged M3 with bov to me. Start up is M sounding also, and every detail you can see in the interior is an M part.

I have a full wiring diagram from the guy too on how this works as well as coding settings. The TCU flash piece is well documented in the 135 flash threads...you just choose a different package (M3 GTS instead of 135). This is legit. I'm just getting the ducks in a row before I post up a new thread on it.

Good news is I have a guy local to me who dismantles e9x M cars exclusively and has all the hardware required for this. So I'll be working with him directly and this Ruskie remotely to try this out on my car in March(ish).

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Here is a real bad preview of the PDF:
T1lJqnx.png

• Angry
Reactions: ninjacoupe