Ad: VTT Product annoucement - Billet / Silicone N54 coolant hose kit

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Sorry, didn't think you were serious about that. Didn't do a delta weight comparison. In general hoses/lines are fairly light weight items and not a great spot to look for weight savings/penalties.

Yeah. Not kidding. It all adds up. Nuff said there I think, yah?

Sorry to hear you didn't weigh your product. I'll keep an eye out for updates once you have the final parts in stock.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
We should have these ready to go in about 1-2 weeks. Had a heavy delay on them, but parts are coming in. The red hoses showed up yesterday. They look great!

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
IMG_20200317_1454401.jpg

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Yeah, a full black set of this is definitely on my list. Since I already have the crimpers, I am going to buy those pinch crimp things to make those clamps permanent, one less thing for me to want to inspect. Probably making my life harder for no reason but it feels more 'set and forget to me personally.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Tony strikes again.

Lol. Keep giving me reasons not to have any VTT products on my car.

Thanks for trying Chris.
I can't say my thinking is any different than his. Could not be more than a few Oz's difference. If you are worried about that on anything other than a full-blown race car (and even then you have to weigh reliability againt a few OZ's of weight gain) and it's going to keep you in stock prone to cracking plastic fittings, and hoses. Honestly, your priorities are possbily out of line, and stock hoses are probably fine for you. 🤷‍♂️

If they were blue I might buy em
These come, Black, Red, and Blue which is stated in the original post, and the website

Reactions: twinturbos
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Yeah, a full black set of this is definitely on my list. Since I already have the crimpers, I am going to buy those pinch crimp things to make those clamps permanent, one less thing for me to want to inspect. Probably making my life harder for no reason but it feels more 'set and forget to me personally.
No need sir. These will come fully assembled with Pinch clamps before shipping.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I can't say my thinking is any different than his. Could not be more than a few Oz's difference. If you are worried about that on anything other than a full-blown race car (and even then you have to weigh reliability againt a few OZ's of weight gain) and it's going to keep you in stock prone to cracking plastic fittings, and hoses. Honestly, your priorities are possbily out of line, and stock hoses are probably fine for you. 🤷‍♂️

These come, Black, Red, and Blue which is stated in the original post, and the website

Since we have the opportunity...

Honestly, what's the harm? If it's a few ounces different I don't care, but what if it's more? Stock hoses have been fine on my car for 110k miles. Stock hoses could be fine for everyone, especially if these fail like some other VTT products. Another unproven product. You're asking a premium for it and I'm asking for weight. Not a big ask.

If Tony feels so strongly about this are you willing to pay for them to return to you if he's wrong?

This is reasonable, no?

It's all moot if they can't be stocked before the head comes off my car. But in the interest of discussion...

Reactions: derekgates

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I'm all for weight savings, and try to encourage weighing products whenever possible but I mean... I got shit from quite a few people for saying deleting my AC was a worthwhile mod lol. Unless you've at least done that and stripped the entire rear half of your interior, you have bigger things to worry about weight-wise imo. I don't see how it's possible that each hose would weigh half a pound more than stock, and as long as the silicone is at least as thick as the stock hoses (it looks thicker judging by the pics) I don't think it's fair to say this is a probably-failure-prone product either. Based on my experience of the stock hoses breaking or cracking if I sneeze in their direction, I'd say it's worth the gamble of a potential 20oz weight gain for the whole set.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I'm all for weight savings, and try to encourage weighing products whenever possible but I mean... I got shit from quite a few people for saying deleting my AC was a worthwhile mod lol. Unless you've at least done that and stripped the entire rear half of your interior, you have bigger things to worry about weight-wise imo. I don't see how it's possible that each hose would weigh half a pound more than stock, and as long as the silicone is at least as thick as the stock hoses (it looks thicker judging by the pics) I don't think it's fair to say this is a probably-failure-prone product either. Based on my experience of the stock hoses breaking or cracking if I sneeze in their direction, I'd say it's worth the gamble of a potential 20oz weight gain for the whole set.
I don’t think the weight concern is with the silicone line itself, but the aluminum connectors vs stock plastic.

Reactions: ShocknAwe

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt

Stop lighting gunpowder in your nose. Those sneezes must be intense.

• Funny
Reactions: Panzerfaust

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I don’t think the weight concern is with the silicone line itself, but the aluminum connectors vs stock plastic.
Yeah, I was talking about the entire assembly too. There's simply not enough aluminum there to make a drastic, or even noticeable, difference imo. A pulley or something maybe, but like many others I've been running an aluminum Mickey mouse coolant hose fitting for a while and the difference between that and the stock one was barely perceivable, but now I never have to worry about that shit again.
Stop lighting gunpowder in your nose. Those sneezes must be intense.
Ha! Okay, I'll admit it's been more like a slight accidental bump that's caused my two unexpected hose failures, but both were when I was <110k miles personally. Not that 60-75k miles of life is anything to scoff at obviously, but I'd rather never have to worry about it again - another reason pulling out that pesky AC system was worth it ;)