Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Well this is something I've been working on for several months in the background of everything else going on here at Twisted Tuning. I've mentioned this little project (probably larger meaning to some) to a couple people here and there but never made an actual post about it.

The N54 game has been making leaps and bounds in terms of progress and available support for higher power and features needed to get these engines over hurdle after hurdle. And one of the things we have all seen become an issue is boost control solenoids going bad as well as boost control for single turbos.

Currently this project is more catered toward single turbo boost control focus because they seem to need it most. But this may crossover to upgrade replacements for the OEM vacuum solenoids later on.

I started this project because I did not like the options available for boost control install single turbo converted cars. And I prefer doing as much as possible via the DME which was made for the car rather then added electronics such as JB4, Haltech, other EBC systems that are stand alone and etc.

Tough part for the solenoid is the OEM solenoid operate at a higher than normal frequency which makes most other available EBCS options not compatible with using the factory DME to control them. So I'm looking to makes things easier and change that.

Twisted Tuning Upgraded EBCS:

021367V_RevA-1%20two%20resized_zpsjzujxjxd.png

Pictured above is the final drawing for the EBCS that's currently under construction. A few cliff notes of specs:

Max Operating Frequency: 300hz
Pressure Range: 0-8bar
Ports: 3

In house field testing begins in. Couple weeks. If you are unsure what the need of this is. This will allow direct plug and play connection to the factory boost control solenoid plug and allow DME only Single turbo boost control and possibly down the line a better replacement for the OEM vacuum solenoids.

More to come over to next few weeks. Thanks for reading.

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
So how does this stack up to say the BoostBox?

This will remove the need for the MAC solenoid for an all around better part. Also will remove the need for the BoostBox. As it will DIRECTLY be controlled by the DME with no middle man.

Granted this is considering all testing checks out and things are good to go. So in a few weeks I will have updates and etc.

mkster08

Corporal
Nov 5, 2016
Kansas
Sign me up! I'll be running one as soon as they become available, getting my single kit next week and was wondering what I was going to do about boost control

mkster08

Corporal
Nov 5, 2016
Kansas
I don't think it's out yet, a buddy and I are both installing the same kit.. we were just gonna run off the gate for a while I guess?

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Just want to make a post about some something really quick. As it was brought to my attention that some people were telling other vendors that I was bad mouthing the BoostBox in my postings about my coming solenoid solution testing and etc.

Straight to the point. If something was taken out of context. Which after speaking to the vendor. It was.

I am not downplaying, badmouthing or any other term some wish to use in reference to anything I'm doing with this Solenoid solution.

In fact, JakeY at Motiv and ChrisK at CKI........ I have spoken to personally about this very product and my plans. In fact we all speak and pick each others brains more than you know and have no issues whatsoever with one another.

We all have the same motive (no pun intended). Better the BMW game at a whole. So before running to people about something you that you're clueless about the full story. Maybe take a step back and verify the context of whats being said.

I try very hard as a vendor to stay out of drama and will continue to do so and stay focused on the end game. Platform progression.

Thanks.

mkster08

Corporal
Nov 5, 2016
Kansas
Figured, what kind of tune should I be looking at in the meantime.. I don't want to buy a tune without being able to control boost, but I don't want to run MHD ots unless that's fine?

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Figured, what kind of tune should I be looking at in the meantime.. I don't want to buy a tune without being able to control boost, but I don't want to run MHD ots unless that's fine?

a custom tune on wastegate pressure is fine. Then when you get your choice of boost control. then we can simply adjust the tune and continue to a higher boost level. I'm saying we as if you chose me to tune your car, but generally thats the case with whoever you go to for the tune. Whats your wastegate set at?

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Really funny how most of the guys that are involved with platform progress are in communication with each other, share ideas and discuss future developements. Most don't realize the extent of it. The IllumiN54anati!!! :eek:

Kervio

Private
Jan 7, 2017
I just got my second n54 after a couple years without one and it's awesome to see how far the platform has come and how much it continues to grow with all of these vendors working at it. Thanks for your efforts and I will 100% be a customer when my ST kit gets installed.

• Agree
Reactions: doublespaces

mkster08

Corporal
Nov 5, 2016
Kansas
a custom tune on wastegate pressure is fine. Then when you get your choice of boost control. then we can simply adjust the tune and continue to a higher boost level. I'm saying we as if you chose me to tune your car, but generally thats the case with whoever you go to for the tune. Whats your wastegate set at?

Is it frowned upon to use a manual boost controller for the initial tune, until I get either DME controlled option?

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Is it frowned upon to use a manual boost controller for the initial tune, until I get either DME controlled option?

Running off the spring is just fine as long as the car is tuned for it. I'm not a fan of MBC's. If anything, the newest Greddy Profec or GFB G-force2 boost control of you don't want to wait for one of the DME controlled options.

Some will say use the JB4, but then you're stuck with JB4 logging. Which is sub-par to MHD logging.