Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Currently just waiting on my EV1 connectors to come in (makes the solenoid plug and play directly to the factory harness). Should have been here a while ago, but looks like they'll be delivered tomorrow. Just giving a brief update

Reactions: doublespaces

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Currently just waiting on my EV1 connectors to come in (makes the solenoid plug and play directly to the factory harness). Should have been here a while ago, but looks like they'll be delivered tomorrow. Just giving a brief update

Make sure you bench test it with a 300Hz signal first. Very easy to overboost if it doesn't really respond to that high Hz, good thing for DME throttle safety ask me how I know haha.

• Informative

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Make sure you bench test it with a 300Hz signal first. Very easy to overboost if it doesn't really respond to that high Hz, good thing for DME throttle safety ask me how I know haha.

lmao, I can see your face at the overboost. haha. Big Eyes, White knuckles from holding the steering wheel tight as hell. haha

08_335i

Sergeant
Nov 3, 2016
Ride
2008 ST 335i
Sounds like me when I was hunting down a boost issue that ended up being a leak, and forgot to lower my FF on my maps after fixing, watching 38psi on my 23psi map about made me s*** my pants.

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Small update, so i just wanted to install the Solenoid on the car and make sure nothing freaks out the DME. Not really anything scientific. But bypassed the Rear stock solenoid vac lines and have everything running off the Front single factory solenoid.

Disconnected the rear factory solenoid and plugged in my solenoid. Been running it since yesterday and the DME notices no change. and Bank 1 and 2 WGDC still all show equal (i know they are linked). Unplugged it to make sure and popped a signal code. So the DME is registering that its there. So step one done. Just wanted to see if the DME would freak with it installed.

@jyamona when you tested any of the ones you did. Did the DME notice they weren't operating at the right Hz or anything? any codes? Just wondering if it would even throw a code. It should i would assume if you have a faulty one i think pops a code.

Like i said nothing scientific, just wanted to see if the DME would bug out with it in there. Moving on to real boost control testing.

SIDEBAR: i think i may do some other testing. But i think my cars boost response is improved significantly operating off of one Solenoid. I swear transient response is improved. Could be placebo though.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Small update, so i just wanted to install the Solenoid on the car and make sure nothing freaks out the DME. Not really anything scientific. But bypassed the Rear stock solenoid vac lines and have everything running off the Front single factory solenoid.

Disconnected the rear factory solenoid and plugged in my solenoid. Been running it since yesterday and the DME notices no change. and Bank 1 and 2 WGDC still all show equal (i know they are linked). Unplugged it to make sure and popped a signal code. So the DME is registering that its there. So step one done. Just wanted to see if the DME would freak with it installed.

@jyamona when you tested any of the ones you did. Did the DME notice they weren't operating at the right Hz or anything? any codes? Just wondering if it would even throw a code. It should i would assume if you have a faulty one i think pops a code.

Like i said nothing scientific, just wanted to see if the DME would bug out with it in there. Moving on to real boost control testing.

SIDEBAR: i think i may do some other testing. But i think my cars boost response is improved significantly operating off of one Solenoid. I swear transient response is improved. Could be placebo though.

Okay this is starting to heat up!

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly

Yea Bank1 and 2 will always be the same, it's a straight copy of the Bank1 val to Bank2. As for the codes, the DME can't tell if the solenoid supports the given Hz because there is no feedback. All it knows is if something is connected to each EV1 plug or not, based on the power stage diagnosis upon DME start.

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Yea Bank1 and 2 will always be the same, it's a straight copy of the Bank1 val to Bank2. As for the codes, the DME can't tell if the solenoid supports the given Hz because there is no feedback. All it knows is if something is connected to each EV1 plug or not, based on the power stage diagnosis upon DME start.

thanks bud, exactly why I tagged you because I knew you would know. I'll keep you posted on things. Thanks for the post.

But another, drove the car to work today due to the snow and etc. This car is so much more responsive running off of one solenoid, lol. I don't think its placebo anymore, lmao

AD-ENG

Corporal
Oct 22, 2016
No need to bench test.... just use your max wgdc output to manually increase duty cycle in 2% increments from zero.

If the solenoid can't handle the frequency what you'll experience is no change in boost for awhile, then all the sudden max boost (i.e. zero resolution in control).

For example, 10%=14psi, 15%=14psi, 20%=14psi, 25%=14psi, 30%=36psi