Twin upgrade options

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I just want to gather data for if/when my stock turbos go. I don't think a big single is for me so what and who are my options for Twins?

My current setup is 2011 335is with DCT trans, FBO, and Flex fuel running E40 / E50 blends.
I would like to get into the 600 HP range once I upgrade but mid 5's will do for a little while :)

I have these three listed so far.

FrankenTurbo (Hybrid)
VTTO
Pure
MMP
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I'm biased obviously since I did purchase MMP Stage 3s. I believe they will no longer be selling the Stage 3s, just the 1Ks or their coming stage 2s. I'd think you'd want to lump the choices a bit more separate:

MMP 1Ks
VTT GCs
Pure Hi-Flo
RB EVOs (I think that's the biggest ones)

Frankenturbo
VTT GC Lite or Stage 2+
Pure DD
MMP coming Stage 2
RB Stealths?

For your power goals, I'd suggest the first bunch. This is purely my own observations, so take them with a grain of salt.

MMP 1K - lot of people with them, still installing, yet to post dyno numbers. Likely to be in the same vicinity as MMP Stage 3 since most people aren't building motors and thumping 30+ PSI.

VTT GCs - new redesigned 2.0s are supposed to fix the turbine wheel issues the older models had. Those that have GCs seem to love them, good power. I would consider them. I did like the older ones with stainless housings over the cast iron, but that's me.

Pure HI-Flo - I don't know the full specs no Pures, but I think these are probably a TD04-19T like most of the others. 650+ whp. I don't think I've seen a negative thing posted about Pure ever.

RB EVOs - I dont know RB's naming convention, it's either the EVO, or Super Evo or something like that. I've not seen anyone as of late posting anything about them, only threads from 4 or 5 years ago. They are good performers and are on par with the others. RB had a smoking issue a few years back, but that seems to be resolved (then again, if no one is using them, is there still an issue, or has no one just run across it.)

For your goals, I think the stage 2/stealths/frankenturbos might be pushed a bit too hard. I'd want to stay with a TD04 CHRA as well.

Reactions: NoGuru

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
LOL he didn't even list RB in his list.

This actually very humorous indeed... with 8+ years of constant N54 turbo upgrade shipments and don't even make a list! Perhaps OP is coming from the Facebook crowd.

Regarding our offerings they are very clearly layed out on the website. Want to see TD03 based offerings click TD03 drop down, want to see TD04 based offerings click the TD04 drop down (FWIW: Very few N54 offerings are TD04 center section based). All of our offerings are extremely reliable but they vary in cost and power potential.

Lastly we rate our turbos at realistic achievable numbers which are still within some fair efficiency range, not numbers you'll never see and/or blow up your hardware trying to get there.

Rob

Reactions: tisdrew and NoGuru

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Pure has the best rep followed by RB imo. The rest I wouldn't trust.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
You may be better off sticking with a US seller. They are located in Germany. I wouldn't think shipping would be affordable.

Reactions: NoGuru

Sshec152

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
Aston pa
As of right now pure is the only one id consider, i dont think I’ve ever heard anything bad about them. Mmp1ks and frankenturbo look promising but haven’t been out long enough for me to spend money on them yet

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

Narcosis

Corporal
Dec 14, 2016
Hudson, WI
Ride
F82
When my stockers gave up I opted for RB's Next Gen Plus, and have been running them for about a year. Good spool, good power, and Rob has been very good to deal with.

Reactions: Benji335i

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Pure ftw. Installed and pushed to ~27psi everyday for 1.5ish years now. pulls strong and hard.
Are they the hi-flows or DD? And what HP are you hitting with what supporting mods? Most of the dynos readily available online with the Pures are a few years old now so I'd like to know what one could hit with our modern mods.

Probably like a lot of people, I can't decide if I want to go top mount or keep the twins when my turbos go. Hopefully single kits will drop in price and get more within reach for more people next year like inlets eventually did, but right now I'm leaning towards 2" Pure hi-flows or VTT gc because I'm a sucker for nice curves and torque. Not to mention it also helps that my wallet won't have to be completely gutted. The GCs have been proven capable of pushing impressive numbers for the modern N54 scene several times over now and I'm just curious if Pures could achieve the same with an E50-60 blend and everything else.

zmon1300

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
Chicagoland
Ride
'10 335xi
Are they the hi-flows or DD? And what HP are you hitting with what supporting mods? Most of the dynos readily available online with the Pures are a few years old now so I'd like to know what one could hit with our modern mods.

Probably like a lot of people, I can't decide if I want to go top mount or keep the twins when my turbos go. Hopefully single kits will drop in price and get more within reach for more people next year like inlets eventually did, but right now I'm leaning towards 2" Pure hi-flows or VTT gc because I'm a sucker for nice curves and torque. Not to mention it also helps that my wallet won't have to be completely gutted. The GCs have been proven capable of pushing impressive numbers for the modern N54 scene several times over now and I'm just curious if Pures could achieve the same with an E50-60 blend and everything else.

Hi-flow, 600awhp/600awtq

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Hi-flow, 600awhp/600awtq
Did it dyno at that or is that just an estimate? And do they have any boost left in them? As of right now the hi-flow is my #1 pick but I would hope to be hitting 600 with a slightly conservative tune and would like to be able to hit at least 650 for track days if I wanted. Don't know if that's realistic with our modern 2" inlets and fueling options or not.

zmon1300

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
Chicagoland
Ride
'10 335xi
Did it dyno at that or is that just an estimate? And do they have any boost left in them? As of right now the hi-flow is my #1 pick but I would hope to be hitting 600 with a slightly conservative tune and would like to be able to hit at least 650 for track days if I wanted. Don't know if that's realistic with our modern 2" inlets and fueling options or not.

Dyno'd it @ 26-27psi full e85. Due note, I have the stock inlet size of 1.75" not the upgraded 2". I also do not have outlets. I am awd and auto so alot more drivetrain loss. IF you are rwd and 6mt, 650 should be achievable no problem.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Track days unless drag strip should be opposite would want more conservative cause it's really rough on car last time i lapped my car i tried checking to make sure my belt didn't touch sub frame cause i got myself nervous and burnt myself on apron of engine bay hr after car was off.