Tig welding 4047 on block

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Nothing (including die penetrant) is going to expose the length of the crack. It will continue beyond where it can be visualized. Nature of cracks. That assumes it is a crack and not a puncture. I suspect it is a puncture given the clear impact marks on the block.

Best of luck and let us know what you do and how it turns out.

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
That external puncture id live with jb weld. The internal water passage crack raises a few worries. There are still $ worth rescuing if you pull the head and start again with the short block. if the level of acceptance leaving their workshop allows a water passage crack like that then what else has been accepted as a pass?

• Agree
Reactions: fmorelli

iminhell1

Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018
This might be a perfect time to try out some of that Aluminum brazing rod stuff, Alumiweld.

That water port is the scary part. When you're talking about the structure of the block possible being compromised ... I'd be really inclined to take it back to them. Then they are liable for repairs and can't blame anything on you and leave you holding another bag. Yes it sucks. But it could save you from loosing any good grace you may have with them if anything in the future pops up. Which at this point seems inevitable.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I'd be taking it back, no engine builder in their right mind would release that to a customer.

I wouldn't even sell a second hand motor as it would be a pr nightmare.

You can do a 100 builds right but the public will remember you for the 1 you did wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: RuskiRacer

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I would NEVER take back shoddy work to someone that gave me shoddy work, expecting something better. The ding on the side of the block, which turned out to weep ... may have looked like nothing. I get that. The water passage crack ... having a harder time with that.

• Agree
Reactions: RuskiRacer

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Maybe everyone needs a e93
Love them and wanted one when buying my e92 but could not find the right one, every single one was trashed with half the km the e92 had.

Just goes to show km or miles mean nothing but try telling that to buyers or sellers.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Love them and wanted one when buying my e92 but could not find the right one, every single one was trashed with half the km the e92 had.

Just goes to show km or miles mean nothing but try telling that to buyers or sellers.
Makes sense especially in Australia with your guys nice weather definitely ideal to put the down and cruise. Where I'm from the convertible season is pretty limited so most of them are lower milage and garage kept

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Not many people take care of their cars here like my dad, he trashed my srt and doesn't deserve a nice car.

My mum had a nice 07 c200 he managed to trash that in less than 3 months and it only 40k miles on it.

Some people need to stick to driving beat up old utes.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Lol sounds like my father i hear ya there . I couldn't imagine how fast he'd trash my moms x5d if he ever got his hands on it

Reactions: martymil

shushikiary

Sergeant
Jun 4, 2018
Ride
335xi
I JB welded it and am in the process of tuning now as the break-in has completed.

I'm with the people who say that after what I've seen I won't take it back for them to fix it because I don't trust that they will fix it right. Yea that lets them get away with it, but in this world justice is a fleeting thing and I'm not the one to enforce it (there is another who will do that someday, and He knows much better than me how to handle it). So I'll do what I think is best for my time and pocket book. Reality is letting others know and choose for them selves is the best justice you can get.

If I run into any issues I'll work with Billiam.