1M Teaser tuned S65 DCT powered 1m3

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Finished the custom undertray today, it was the final piece of the undercarriage.

Now to get it powder coated.

20210614_142504.jpg20210614_141224.jpg

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Seibon bonnet arrived today, didn't waste any time bolting it up to see if the airbox snorkel aligns and it did perfectly.

If looks could kill or the waiting time which took 7 months but it was worth it.

20210630_184750.jpg

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
To paint or not to paint is the big question.

Might leave it until the cf starts to yellow and the bonnet goes through a few heat cycles in our extreme summers

Has any one had experience with painting carbon ?

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
To paint or not to paint is the big question.

Might leave it until the cf starts to yellow and the bonnet goes through a few heat cycles in our extreme summers

Has any one had experience with painting carbon ?
I personally love the look of raw carbon. I like the idea of waiting until it yellows a bit before painting or if you do paint, maybe leave the bulge unpainted.

Reactions: martymil

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I think Ill ppf it and ceramic coat it for now and see how it holds up to our brutal 120f summers

I love the carbon look too but the constabulary likes it to much and loves slapping defect stickers on cars that use them.

Reactions: NoGuru

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
When I said the s65 is lighter than the n54 some of you where skeptical, well the proof is finally here.

Watch and weep n54 lovers, kidding well maybe not but it vastly improves handling by shifting the weight in the chassis.

Lower, further back and evenly L/R distribution, you cant beat that.

Did BMW originally have plans to install these into the e82 chassis and maybe why we have the extra two chassis bolts for the v8 k frame.

Why they didn't, I don't think will ever find out and can only speculate.

But watch the video its interesting info.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Once you add single turbos or twins, aftermarket IC's that are seriously heavy, aftermarket manifolds and a host of other crap the n54
becomes a porker compared to the s65.

So it the s65 is not bad after all and makes it a more reliable alternative to the n54 after you do the rod bearings and its been proven that if you do periodic
maintenance even stock ones will last you a long time before you have to change them.

Reactions: NoQuarter

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Our new diff cover is on its way, one more weak link eliminated.

I'm contemplating fitting a drexler LSD into the 1m so now would be the time to put this in as well.

Untitled.jpg

Reactions: GreyNBlueE92

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
That's the problem, such a limited car run and most owners are just tight arses.

You can't expect vendors to develop products when sales are non existent.

The good thing is most e90 and e92 parts still fit these cars.

I scour the internet once a week to see if anything new has been developed.

Haven't really seen anything in the last 2 years 1m specific.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Yeah its a good video seen it a few years ago, the problem with the stock cover is it's cast and they crack.

I've seen a number of them fail over the years, we are building a drexler m3 lsd diff with 3.45 ratio for the single turbo kit 135
that will make close to 1k hp and just a stock diff for my 1m3 as I seen a few with hairline cracks in them or total failures like on
Tony's car pictured below. Prevention is cheaper than cure.

IMG_20190905_0916468.jpg

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
This shows the design differences and the oem is a work of art but the problem is its weak.

Under stock power applications its the best thing since slice bread but when you start adding
power to it will disintegrate.

The vac is quite a good design and I don't believe the difference will be that substantial compared
to oem but the strength of the mounting point will.

What I like about the vac cover it lets you add a temp sensor to measure the oil temps unlike the
oem cover, when you double or triple the hp of what it was designed for you really need to get serious
with data logging.

I already lost one diff and I'm not about to do it again, only time will tell.

Also the oem cover wont let you run anything over 3.15 gear set as you will have to grind it out and
there really isn't enough meat in there to do it, so you either have to shell out for a 3.85 oem cover
or buy the vac and it will let you run any ratio you like.

20210728_220410.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: fmorelli

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Going by the videos of gale banks it is a significant difference between the vac with machined flat area and the oem area with the fins and remaining curved style. The vac cover will let the oil not flow smooth but rather splash it