1M Teaser tuned S65 DCT powered 1m3

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
No that's at the top of the case where its flat on the banks video not in the middle very different as the oil level is above the flat area on the vac.

If you look at the oem case it has a similar flat area as the vac but the vac holds a lot more oil.

Don't forget the Banks cover is for a live axel this is for a Independent rear, again very different

1.jpg

Last edited:

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I can see one problem with the Banks cover whilst its an awesome design for a truck it actually could be a problem on our cars due to the design.

It will cause underbody lift due to the way it diverts air upwards and at high speed this will be an issue causing major turbulence under the rear end
post 100mph.

Great for trucks hauling heavy loads as that's what it was design for.

Under light loads this wont be an issue so much on our cars.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: fmorelli

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Going by the videos of gale banks it is a significant difference between the vac with machined flat area and the oem area with the fins and remaining curved style. The vac cover will let the oil not flow smooth but rather splash it

The above video doesn't show what you are talking about, but this specific video goes exactly into that subject:

He's got about a half dozen diff videos, one specifically one designing a diff cover.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
The above video doesn't show what you are talking about, but this specific video goes exactly into that subject:

He's got about a half dozen diff videos, one specifically one designing a diff cover.

I know. I have seen them all. I just quickly looked for one link to that series. I think i stated that there is a series about diffs.

@martymil i think you are heavily mistaken. Vac diff cover is poorly designed as the whole back of the cover is used for oil flow. Vac seems to have taken a cheap route to increase volume?

The oil level in the flat area on the vac cover is there while stillstand. but when moving it starts to move quite more oil and the "standing" oil level becomes far lower.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
That video only shows a flat top cover even the factory cover has a flat area by your reasoning will cause bad flow.

Those factory diverters don't do jack shit at high speed, they are there more for transferring heat into the cover. on the oem unit.

We don't have to worry to much as our cars weight 3000 to 4000 lbs unlike the banks cover which was designed for trucks towing 15000lbs + at low speeds
and for maximum heat transfer

The oil level will not drop because we don't have axel tubes for the oil to drain into, you are comparing apples to oranges.

I'm not saying its a great design but its good enough and it will stop the diffs from braking out of the cradle like the oem ones do causing major damage to the axels, cradle and tail shaft which are more costly than a diff.

We will be installing a sensor in our cover to monitor the oil temps.

The vac cover is made of superior and stronger material that will prohibit the diff from dropping out and possibly causing a high speed disaster.

Pick your poison.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
What I mean by flat top is the flat area on the cover in the video is well about the crown wheel, the flat area on the oem and vac unit is in the middle.

The oem and vac are vastly different to the ones shown in the video.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
M4 Seats in a 1m with full factory integration, all oem fully coded with heating, memory, airbags and belt tensioners just like factory would intend.

Fully functional in every way and a 10kg or 22lbs weight saving over oem seats with no heating.

20210803_140817.jpg

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
M4 Seats in a 1m with full factory integration, all oem fully coded with heating, memory, airbags and belt tensioners just like factory would intend.

Fully functional in every way and a 10kg or 22lbs weight saving over oem seats with no heating.

View attachment 56902
IMO A+ for coding, and the effort to get it fully factory intergrated.

But imo the seats are fat, ugly, not that supportive imo (no adjustable head rest and no thigh extension, and don't even have harness pass throughs (for an M seat it sucks compared to something like porsches full carbon buckets and amg's recaro option). I personally dislike them in the F8X as well.

I much prefer the recarco sportster cs, lighter, more lateral thigh support, deeper side supports, has harness pass throughs, and overall more attractive imo. Also leather seat bottoms like the M seats are slippery as hell if you track them in a race suit that has a slippery material and with the lack of lateral thigh support that is deep enough your knee will be so sore bracing against the transmission tunnel.

If you are going full OEM+ look keep the seats, if you are going modified look or tracking the car keep the recaros.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
They look great. But they are not 10kg lighter than the E9x Sport seats.

I think it is 57 lbs fully electric. The manual ones seem to weigh 10-12kg less than the electrical ones.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
They look great. But they are not 10kg lighter than the E9x Sport seats.

I think it is 57 lbs fully electric. The manual ones seem to weigh 10-12kg less than the electrical ones.
try almost 65.7lbs for electric seats each vs 56.8lbs for m4 comp seats, combined that's over 10kg or 22lbs for both seats.

The manual seats aren't any lighter than recaros.

All weights are with fully assembled seats including tensioners and modules as that's the proper way to weigh seats

Link - E series seats vs m4 vs Recaro cs | SpoolStreet Forums

Last edited:

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
IMO A+ for coding, and the effort to get it fully factory intergrated.

But imo the seats are fat, ugly, not that supportive imo (no adjustable head rest and no thigh extension, and don't even have harness pass throughs (for an M seat it sucks compared to something like porsches full carbon buckets and amg's recaro option). I personally dislike them in the F8X as well.

I much prefer the recarco sportster cs, lighter, more lateral thigh support, deeper side supports, has harness pass throughs, and overall more attractive imo. Also leather seat bottoms like the M seats are slippery as hell if you track them in a race suit that has a slippery material and with the lack of lateral thigh support that is deep enough your knee will be so sore bracing against the transmission tunnel.

If you are going full OEM+ look keep the seats, if you are going modified look or tracking the car keep the recaros.

I'm not tracking anymore and these seats are enough for me, heat seating and lumber support for my aging back is needed.

The difference between the F series and the Recaros is the thickness of the the upright section, the bottom section has higher bolsters and thats about it.

Overall widths are almost identical.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I respect that.

The factory E seats are horrible in terms of any support and the Fx series is leaps and bounds ahead in everyway at a fraction of the cost of Recaros.

I would love a set of Gx Series seats to play with but will have to wait till the prices drop as they are way to costly and some are way to colourful in appearance.

Last edited:
Reactions: F87Source

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
I'm not tracking anymore and these seats are enough for me, heat seating and lumber support for my aging back is needed.

The difference between the F series and the Recaros is the thickness of the the upright section, the bottom section has higher bolsters and thats about it.

Overall widths are almost identical.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I respect that.

The factory E seats are horrible in terms of any support and the Fx series is leaps and bounds ahead in everyway at a fraction of the cost of Recaros.

I would love a set of Gx Series seats to play with but will have to wait till the prices drop as they are way to costly and some are way to colourful in appearance.
Yes the E series seats are much better imo.

IMO I personally prefer sparcos evo qrt series of seats, super light weight, super supportive, and some versions have heavy lumbar supports.

• Agree
Reactions: martymil

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Here is a pic showing you the minimalistic differences between the two seats, if you want a racing seat your much better
going to Recaro pole position and save some major weight

20210803_094212.jpg

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Yes the E series seats are much better imo.

IMO I personally prefer sparcos evo qrt series of seats, super light weight, super supportive, and some versions have heavy lumbar supports.
A race seat is a very personal choice as most body types are different and I'm not going to start comparing them
but I put one into my link for comparison against factory seats.

All the seats I done are fully street legal, most race seats are frowned upon by authorities
which in most cases see your car towed home in most countries.

E series seats vs m4 vs Recaro cs | SpoolStreet Forums

Last edited:

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
A race seat is a very personal choice as most body types are different and I'm not going to start comparing them
but I put one into my link for comparison against factory seats.

All the seats I done are fully street legal, most race seats are frowned upon by authorities
which in most cases see your car towed home in most countries.

E series seats vs m4 vs Recaro cs | SpoolStreet Forums
Yeah that's why I like QRT constructed seats, super light fiber glass shell with all the dot and FIA certificaitons.

Where I live in Canada they literally do not care at all what seat you run (I've seen so many people run seats with the giant head rests that wrap around and literally cover your peripheral vision and no one cares), if you have a full cage, full harness, wings, lifted trucks etc. As long as you have your lights, and your car isn't too loud they don't care.

The only people who care are the insurance companies and they suck alot. So if you want a properly insured car you go to either car collector insurance (super cheap $500/year any mods except nos but your driving record better be spotless aka zero tickets and you can only use the car for pleasure) or facility, which is the market of last resort where all the drunk drivers and dui people go to get their insurance and thus prices are insane despite a clean driving record - because insurance hate modded cars.

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
You guys are so lucky, we get anal probed driving a modified car here in OZ if you don't do things the right way.
That's unfortunate, but it's not the same in every province some are worse than others. But overall yeah are laws are pretty relaxed where I am I see cars that shouldn't be road legal at all everyday and cops don't care. Regulations are really relaxed, lights and seat belts and not too loud exhaust and you're all good. I'm really glad it's like that here.

Only issue is insurance, which I believe you guys can actually get at a reasonable rate for a modded car.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I've got a total clean history for over 20 years and my modified 1m costs me about 2.4k insured for 130k limited to 5k km a year.

I'm not sure if that's cheap compared to what you guys pay

My car is as modified as it gets in all respects besides nos or forced induction