Single Turbo Manifold Ceramic Coating

Slow335

Private
Mar 2, 2017
Ride
09 335i xdrive
Hey guys I've been reading up on ceramic coating and DEI titanium thermal wrap for a while and I just wanted to see what n54 ST guys are doing in terms of heat management for top mounts. From my understanding thermal wrap will be better at containing the heat but is more susceptible to corrosion if moisture and debris gets trapped. Ceramic coating doesn't seem as effective as wrap and can flake off but helps with preventing corrosion. Also looked into coating then wrapping and some people advise against that since the wrap will rub away the coating. Doesn't seem like theres a perfect solution but would like to hear what other single turbo guys are doing.

Also, probably worth noting that I'm in the north east and the car gets driven daily through rain, snow, and all that fun stuff.

How many miles on your ceramic coat/thermal wrap? How is it holding up etc.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I'm in the desert so I'm able to be slightly negligent here, but I'd coat then wrap. My bottom mount is coated only. While I'm sure this will keep the manifold in great shape for some time, it simply doesn't do as good a job as the wraps in my opinion. The top mounts with wraps I've seen in person seem noticeably cooler. Keeping it bottom mount and coated is good enough to prevent stuff from melting, but the radiating heat is still there, heating up the engine bay.

TLDR> If you want to sell your manifold later, perhaps coat then wrap it. By the time you take it off to sell it, the coating may still be removed then reapplied perhaps. How much water really gets up in that area? There is a hole where the downpipe/dump tube goes out, but I can't imagine a lot of water splashing up in there. If you have hood vents(I recommend them) perhaps some water will get in... But as with anything, cars will get used and things wear out. I wouldn't be worried about a little corrosion even if it happens, car will probably be old and shitty by the time it becomes a real problem, IMO. Just my 0.02c

Reactions: Slow335

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
If you get an oil leak with thermal wrap, you can also end up with fire.

I wrapped my fftec kit, but never drove it in the rain or snow. I have my motiv kit ceramic coated. Both are bottom mount and I prefer the ceramic coating personally. Engine bay temps "seem" the same, but I have no hard data to back up any claims. Just my opinion based on my experience.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
If you get an oil leak with thermal wrap, you can also end up with fire.

How likely is this really though? How many reports of this happening are there on high quality wrap brands? I have not even looked, curious.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
How likely is this really though? How many reports of this happening are there on high quality wrap brands? I have not even looked, curious.
On an N54, probably higher than most engines. Oil filter housing gaskets, valve cover gaskets, oil pan gaskets, front main seals...we're prone to oil leaks and our engines run very hot.

More of a better safe than sorry deal imo.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Also, in the aviation business, we use coatings for thermal management, not header wrap. So, that should say something.

I will say though, our ceramic coating options, in general, are shit options compared to even the basic commercial aerospace ceramic thermal barrier coatings we spray at work.

Slow335

Private
Mar 2, 2017
Ride
09 335i xdrive
Also, in the aviation business, we use coatings for thermal management, not header wrap. So, that should say something.

I will say though, our ceramic coating options, in general, are shit options compared to even the basic commercial aerospace ceramic thermal barrier coatings we spray at work.

Seems like swaintech coatings were the most effective from what I've researched. I'm mainly concerned with the VCG getting toasted every few months but I haven't heard of too many people chiming in about that. Maybe they just get used to it and have swapping VCGs down to a science.

I could also just not drive in rain or snow... but xdrive + snow = a fun time.

Bigdaddyaaron

Corporal
Nov 5, 2016
USA
Ive got no wrap or coating on my top mount. I chose to leave the manifold bare and wrap/shield everything else around it. Did the install in december of last year and I have no heat related problems. This is my dd averaging 15k-20k miles a year

Slow335

Private
Mar 2, 2017
Ride
09 335i xdrive
Ive got no wrap or coating on my top mount. I chose to leave the manifold bare and wrap/shield everything else around it. Did the install in december of last year and I have no heat related problems. This is my dd averaging 15k-20k miles a year

Doc Race top mount heatshield? But overall thats pretty impressive that you've had no issues with running a bare manifold. By any chance is your hood vented?

would it be pointless to coat and wrap a top mount?

I can see it having its benefits as the coating will help keep things cooler while protecting it from corrosion and the wrap will help even more with the keeping temps down. But the only downside that I've heard is that since the wrap is abrasive it'll take off the ceramic coating over time. This is all just based on peoples experiences I've read while looking into this.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I can see it having its benefits as the coating will help keep things cooler while protecting it from corrosion and the wrap will help even more with the keeping temps down. But the only downside that I've heard is that since the wrap is abrasive it'll take off the ceramic coating over time. This is all just based on peoples experiences I've read while looking into this.

This is exactly what I'd do if I did it over again. Make sure all your oil leaks are taken care of first.

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
As for corrosion resistance, this thread is pointless. Your manifold is stainless steel, it will last longer than the car will. You could sink it in the great Salt Lake, pull it up 10 years later, and it'll be functionally perfect.

So our only goal here is to contain heat, which of course gives more energy to the turbo. So coat the manifold, then wrap it.

But you likely won't ever notice the difference. I'd forego the costing as they are expensive, and just use the wrap.

Bigdaddyaaron

Corporal
Nov 5, 2016
USA
Doc Race top mount heatshield? But overall thats pretty impressive that you've had no issues with running a bare manifold. By any chance is your hood vented?
Hood is not vented and I used a dei product (don't remember which one) to drape over the valve cover. Along with other numerous methods of shielding. I probably spent around $130-$150 on different kinds of wrap, sheaths, covers, tape, etc lol.

Bigdaddyaaron

Corporal
Nov 5, 2016
USA
Doc race is really crazy with the price of that shield. There's no way I'd pay $100 for that. plus it probably wouldn't fit anyways and i'd have to modify it.

colinod

Private
Aug 13, 2017
Ride
2007 e92 335
I left my on3 manifold bare, and wrapped only the downpipe. no heat related issues. no turbo blanket. I unbolted the wires from the valve cover and placed them over the coils, and put a dei fiberglass/aluminum foil shield between the turbo system and the coils/wires on top of the engine.

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I left my on3 manifold bare, and wrapped only the downpipe. no heat related issues. no turbo blanket. I unbolted the wires from the valve cover and placed them over the coils, and put a dei fiberglass/aluminum foil shield between the turbo system and the coils/wires on top of the engine.
How long have you been running this way?

colinod

Private
Aug 13, 2017
Ride
2007 e92 335
How long have you been running this way?
About a month and a half. I just installed a 6266 and i see no heat related issues at all when i looked over everything. I forgot to add i use a dei titanium wrap sleeve for the oil feed line