Scott's E92 Drag Build

mcleansc

Private
Sep 22, 2019
Ride
E92 335i
Nice build!

Thanks mate. Work on the car stalled for a while there. I had the money ready for the cage to be fitted, but Covid caused a massive delay in getting it made and delivered. In that time the girlfriend and I decided it was time to move (benefit is a heated garage) and I used the cage money to renovate the flat (and then some ha šŸ˜­).

Looking forward to driving it again, although the exhaust only gives around 3" of clearance so no speed bumps for me šŸ˜‚

mcleansc

Private
Sep 22, 2019
Ride
E92 335i
What's your current 1/4 mile target?

I have DCT so launching sucks balls but I managed a 11.6 at 124mph so far.

Low 11's would be nice. The last 1/4 mile I ran was full weight stock tune. I've changed that much I really dont know what to expect.

Tbh mate I need to create a definitive plan so I can at least run it next year. I keep adding work (and money) to the project. Prime example is those Welds. I initially looked at E39 calipers and E92 328i discs to fit them, then I seen VTT do a light Willwood set up, so I'm going for those. More money, more time to save the money. Then I realised I'll need Mag style lug nuts for the welds. Priced up titanium studs/nuts vs steel and they're only around Ā£70 more, so I'm going for those. More money, more time šŸ˜‚ it'll be never ending if I let it.

What spec is yours mate?

NoGuru

Lieutenant
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Mine is a 2011 335is full weight.
19T Turbos
FBO
E45 fuel
DCT with xHP Stage 3 tune

Few other minor things but that is most of it.
Just ran the standing half mile on un prepped surface at 149mph.

I looked into Titanium studs and saw a guys wheel pop off at the drag strip. That was enough for me to stick to steel :)

mcleansc

Private
Sep 22, 2019
Ride
E92 335i
Since the last update I've just been tidying the wiring, tracing and completely removing any that aren't used (which is a lot!).

I also made up some bumper shutters and fitted those as well as some quick release bumper fittings for ease of loading on and off a trailer.

IMG_20210406_160113.jpg

IMG_20210406_160122.jpg

I encountered a problem with the quick release fittings. I stupidly didn't realise you need a few mm gap between the bodywork fitting and the bumper. I used the headlight support arm and unfortunately the plastic sits flush with the bumper meaning when connected the bumper sat a good few cm out from the wing, it looked awful.

IMG_20210406_160352.jpg

This was my hack job work around. Cut some 0.9mm steel into shape and recessed it with a bolt and a few nuts. Works well so I was happy.

And I also removed the oil cooler. I've kept it in case I want to refit. Really tidies the engine bay up. It desperately needs a wash in there as well.

IMG_20210406_160319.jpg

Reactions: seb.apprenti

mcleansc

Private
Sep 22, 2019
Ride
E92 335i
Nice, looks good. When is track day?
Thanks man! Not too sure tbh mate. The Covid restrictions are still pretty tight in Scotland so I don't even know if Crail will be open. Even if it were I'm way behind schedule, I'll hopefully get to a few events by the end of summer. Really want to see how my 1/4 time has improved and where I stand with my low 11's goals.

How are things over the pond with the Covids? Are your tracks opening back up or are things still quite tight?

NoGuru

Lieutenant
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Thanks man! Not too sure tbh mate. The Covid restrictions are still pretty tight in Scotland so I don't even know if Crail will be open. Even if it were I'm way behind schedule, I'll hopefully get to a few events by the end of summer. Really want to see how my 1/4 time has improved and where I stand with my low 11's goals.

How are things over the pond with the Covids? Are your tracks opening back up or are things still quite tight?
I just pulled the car out of storage and driving slow looking for any issues from redoing all the fuel system over the Winter. I just started with a new tuner as well so it will be a while before I get to the track.
Signed up for a half mile event in August already though. My 1/4 mile goal is low 11's as well so I will post here if I make it there.
We are getting a 4th wave and variants of the stains so they may start locking us down agian.

mcleansc

Private
Sep 22, 2019
Ride
E92 335i
I just pulled the car out of storage and driving slow looking for any issues from redoing all the fuel system over the Winter. I just started with a new tuner as well so it will be a while before I get to the track.
Signed up for a half mile event in August already though. My 1/4 mile goal is low 11's as well so I will post here if I make it there.
We are getting a 4th wave and variants of the stains so they may start locking us down agian.

You got any pics of the car would love to see it. It's amazing the niggles that can appear while the car just sits, good idea taking it slow. Hopefully you hit your goal mate, definitely keep us updated on your progress.

We're supposed to be easing out of lockdown come the 26th, so hopefully ill at least get to a few events if I get my shit together and pull my finger out