S55 flywheel install on 335IS rattle metallic noise on decelerating.

Mvaccarelli01

Corporal
Apr 18, 2020
Hello everyone, I installed a S55 flywheel I found on eBay, I used brand new flywheel bolts. I did not get the used flywheel resurface or anything like that and I did clean it the best I could but it did look a little rusty. After install I did not have my driveshaft connected or anything but I left the car in neutral and started it. Everything sounds great at idle.

when I started revving it in neutral it sounds great revving up the rpms until after I let my foot off the gas, when the rpms climb back down I heard a pretty loud metallic rattle sound coming straight from the flywheel area which I confirmed under the car. Is this Normal or any ideas if the part was defective??

I have not had a chance to drive the car under load. This happens when I and revving the car in neutral and only makes loud metallic sound when foot comes off the gas

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
The flywheel in a dct isn’t like in a manual in that the surface isn’t part of the clutch so I wouldn’t worry about resurfacing. It’s more likely that your Down pipes, heat shield or similar have been disturbed by the transmission work or similar. Check those first as it could be something simple. Did you use new bolts and torque to spec on the flywheel ?!