Dual Mass Flywheel failure!

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
I think I broke my flywheel! the car is making a loud squeaking sound at idle, but it drives normally! everyone is asking me if I have a bird in the car :confounded: soooo embarrassing! anyone know what are the symptoms of a failed DMFW?

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Mine rattled real bad, worse than a SMFW, happens as springs get loose. I had no driveability issues. Replaced it with an xClutch Organic twin disk when I did my power Mods which I love.

I'm assuming you already replaced the accessory drive belt. That's what mine was a few months ago, sounded like a flock of pigeons in the car. Was a 20km belt too.

(Specifically my cam position sensor gaskets failed spectacularly and soiled the belt)

Reactions: wheela

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
Yep, changed the belt and tensioners with no luck, the squeaking comes from the back of the engine at idle only, when loaded up during normal driving and acceleration its silent.🤯

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Did you check the pcv system and rear main seal? If the pcv fails and draws too much vacuum the main seals can start to sing like birds as air draws past them into the engine. It stops under load due to release of vacuum in the crank case.

Reactions: ShocknAwe

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
No, I did not bother to check any further because it does sound like metal-on-metal contact, when I switch off the ignition, I can actually hear something knocking around in there as the engine costs down.

Pete

Lurker
Aug 21, 2023
Did you check the pcv system and rear main seal? If the pcv fails and draws too much vacuum the main seals can start to sing like birds as air draws past them into the engine. It stops under load due to release of vacuum in the crank case.
Test for this by removing the oil cap while the engine is running briefly to see if the noise goes away. Be careful, some oil may spray out!

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
There is vacuum on my oil fill cap now since I did my OCC upgrade, but I recently changed oil and did a top up with the motor idling and I still hear huge macaws at the back of the motor...... I have been working heavy industry and with cars all my adult life, I know metal to metal contact when I hear it, thanks for your thoughts though.👍

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
There is vacuum on my oil fill cap now since I did my OCC upgrade, but I recently changed oil and did a top up with the motor idling and I still hear huge macaws at the back of the motor...... I have been working heavy industry and with cars all my adult life, I know metal to metal contact when I hear it, thanks for your thoughts though.👍
"macaws" just came here to say i love the descriptions lmao. Hope the flywheel fixes it 👍

• Funny
Reactions: wheela