Rebuilt motor just died, it will start but dies soon after starting ETA: Working again. Hmmm.

torbearfree

Private
Jan 2, 2020
Background:

I rebuilt my engine due to rod knock, that took 10 months...
Rebuilt engine has 110 miles on it
I was getting long cranks over the last 36 hours.

I left for work and I did not make it to the first stop sign. Car was working fine then the motor shut off. I restarted the motor but it dies a few seconds after starting. I rolled my car backwards downhill to get it back to my house.

That was on Thursday. After I let it sit for 30 min my car started right up with no codes. After work I tired to take a test drive but the engine died twice before I got out of the driveway. Later on I was able to take another test drive in my neighborhood and it worked just fine. This evening I took another test drive out of my neighborhood and everything was fine.

I logged the test drives and I uploaded to logs here but I was not logged in when I did that. I will have to figure out how to post the logs here.

What could cause an engine to shutoff while driving with no codes?

ETA: Its been a few days since this happened. Car either starts and runs normal or I long crank and I have to hit the gas then runs normal. I posted logs at the bottom of the page.

Last edited:

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
What all does your build consist of? Pistons, rods, and bearings? Anything else? Just curious.

What's your fuel pressure look like? Codes?

Edit: Melt anything? Wires, etc. If the engine dies, it should throw some sort of code... I would think. EKP overheating?

torbearfree

Private
Jan 2, 2020
Stock rebuild, nothing special. I had rod knock.

On one logged trip high fuel pressure ranged from 520 to 1300 psi.

Nothing is melted or burned. Car starts and drives just fine now. No codes.

torbearfree

Private
Jan 2, 2020
Both of these logs were from my drive this morning, cold start. Car sat for about 18 hours. Nothing to report, no errors but I would like to know if my fuel pressures are correct.

torbearfree

Private
Jan 2, 2020

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Rail pressures look fine. LPFP looks high. It should be closer to 72 psi idling / not under load. Have you ever changed the LPFP sensor?