Port Injection 2020

The Banshee

Corporal
Nov 18, 2017
Lehigh Valley PA
Ride
2008 335xi coupe 6466 MT
Any updates on port injection safety or batch firing? Has anyone lost a motor recently to PI or PI related?

Some still have concerns with Helix and Double Barrel does not work on all applications. Most of us looking for >700 are still going to need PI.

PI is here to stay for the N54 as far as I can see right now. Just interested if there have been any recent developments or anything in the works.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I believe since @jyamona added the PI safety coil cut to MHD, PI has pretty much lost all it's danger on our platform as far as really bad boom-y situations go. I personally have had success with and been very happy with my Helix and think the concerns there are fixed too, but afaik PI poses more threats to your wallet than your engine at this point lol.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
If you run a stand alone ecu Pi is the answer to your fuelling needs.

Even though there is better safety it still runs like crap with traction control on the factory ecu, some people like the
added safety and don't want to always drive with traction control fully off.

Pi is the cheapest and easiest currently available to the n54.

Double barrel has been flawless on every install I done and running perfectly at over 900hp on our single turbo kit without
a single failure but cant be installed on every setup.

Helix is yet to prove itself as its seen a number of failures which claimed to be addressed but only time will tell.

I personally will be running a little pi in the future along side my double barrel to help with valve cleaning/maintenance using
straight methanol with very small injectors and to help control timing pull so I don't have to run an e85 blend.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I personally will be running a little pi in the future along side my double barrel to help with valve cleaning/maintenance using
straight methanol with very small injectors and to help control timing pull so I don't have to run an e85 blend.

That sounds like cooling purposes. Wouldn't CPI be better there?

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I'll be using direct port meth but using injectors controlled by a separate AI6

Ill be replacing the battery box with a custom 20 litre meth tank and it will only be used at the track and spirited drives.

Its only something I'm looking into for now.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I'll be using direct port meth but using injectors controlled by a separate AI6

Ill be replacing the battery box with a custom 20 litre meth tank and it will only be used at the track and spirited drives.

Its only something I'm looking into for now.

Where are you relocating the battery?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Wouldn't mind seeing some folks post on what are high-quality PI setups to consider for the current market. @Seb335i

Filippo

Reactions: The Banshee

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
In preparation for my port injection I decided to add another Walbro 450. My charge pipe does not have a bung for it so I guess I will need to tap someplace.
Where is the best place for this?
I was thinking charge pipe but maybe the intake manifold?

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
In preparation for my port injection I decided to add another Walbro 450. My charge pipe does not have a bung for it so I guess I will need to tap someplace.
What are you trying to create a port for?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Given the superior 535 flow rates and lower amperage requirements (which may be irrelevant in your configuration), wondering why you went with 450? Already had it or another reason?

Filippo

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
What are you trying to create a port for?
For the Hobbs switch. Sorry, I forgot to mention that.
Given the superior 535 flow rates and lower amperage requirements (which may be irrelevant in your configuration), wondering why you went with 450? Already had it or another reason?

Filippo
I already have a 450 installed and the setup I use allows me to add another 450.

Also, I think the 535 pulls too many amps if I recall, I may be incorrect but I thought it did. None the less I will run the two 450s for now.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I run my Hobbs switch off of the exhaust flapper vacuum line. No running wires to/from the engine bay, just rerouting one short section of vacuum line in the engine bay and then unplugging the solenoid's vacuum line. Makes for a super super clean install, and kept it stealth (when I had my trunk interior still anyway) not to mention it's much easier to do as long as you don't mind having the flapper always open if you're still on the stock exhaust.

• Agree
Reactions: Subwoofer

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I run my Hobbs switch off of the exhaust flapper vacuum line. No running wires to/from the engine bay, just rerouting one short section of vacuum line in the engine bay and then unplugging the solenoid's vacuum line. Makes for a super super clean install, and kept it stealth (when I had my trunk interior still anyway) not to mention it's much easier to do as long as you don't mind having the flapper always open if you're still on the stock exhaust.
I have the flapper unplugged anyway so this could be a great solution. I'm pretty sure I can make this happen but I may come to you for more details if I can't figure it out.

Reactions: Panzerfaust

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
isnt the exhaust flap ran off constant vacuum from the pump? not engine vacuum

the exhaust flap needs vacuum to open the valve, if it used engine vacuum it would close under boost

are you sure your hobbs switch ever sees boost?

Threetirtyfive

Corporal
Jan 9, 2019
Ride
335i
Definitely won't work connecting hobbs to the exhaust vac line which comes off the vac pump :rolleyes: it isn't part of the circuit which connects to dump valves and where you need to connect to.