Oil dipstick retrofit

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Someone needs to do an exchange program. I'm curious to know if anyone has installed a dipstick on their N54? I saw bimmerworld had an S65 retrofit kit. I've done some Google searching, but mostly found rants on other forum threads.

Thanks,

Filippo

Last edited:

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Hrmm...wouldn't be difficult to retrofit someone with a single conversion. Just use the rear turbo oil return opening in the block to fab up an oil dipstick using one of the flexi-sticks.

lok-ed-5008_hh_xl.jpg

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Hrmm...wouldn't be difficult to retrofit someone with a single conversion. Just use the rear turbo oil return opening in the block to fab up an oil dipstick using one of the flexi-sticks.
Nice ... do we know anyone that's gone down this path?

Filippo

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
I'm fairly sure I saw about a year ago where one of the vendors put one on the oil pan of their half mile car .I don't remember if it was ade, motiv, or vtt tho. For some reason I think it was one of them.

• Informative
Reactions: fmorelli

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Well for one, I don't have iDrive: one has to do the signal stalk antics to see what's going on. Second, I'd rather see fluid on a stick than rely on the level sensor. Third, I'm in love with my Mightyvac for oil changes - and especially with my E89 Z4 which is very low to the ground, a complete pain in the ass to change oil at the house garage.

Filippo

Reactions: seb.apprenti

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Well for one, I don't have iDrive: one has to do the signal stalk antics to see what's going on. Second, I'd rather see fluid on a stick than rely on the level sensor. Third, I'm in love with my Mightyvac for oil changes - and especially with my E89 Z4 which is very low to the ground, a complete pain in the ass to change oil at the house garage.

Filippo
Don't suck your oil out of the dipstick to change the oil. You leave all the debris and contaminates that accumulate in the oil and sink to the bottom. I had an A4 motor get starved of oil and require replacement because the stupid f*cking dealership did this for their oil changes.

pdxbimmertech

Lurker
Dec 18, 2017
Portland, OR
Ride
2008 E92 335i 6 spd
Don't suck your oil out of the dipstick to change the oil. You leave all the debris and contaminates that accumulate in the oil and sink to the bottom. I had an A4 motor get starved of oil and require replacement because the stupid f*cking dealership did this for their oil changes.

When you drain the oil from the drain plug it does not get "all" the oil and debris etc out. When you pull an oil pan on a N5X engine there is always some oil left in the pan along with anything else that has collected and settled/stuck to the surface of the pan.

Also, depending on what engine it was in your A4, the 4 cylinder VAG turbo engines are well known to get gummed up in their oil pickups and ruin engines due to oil starvation on both the 1.8t and 2.0t engines. Just what I have seen FWIW.

I have always thought it would be a great idea for a company to develop a retrofit for an actual dipstick.

Kommodore

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Cactus Farm
With the M3 cluster sport display I just have oil level as my default screen. Shows oil level as soon as the car is able to read it. That being said I would still like a dip stick either way.