Oil dipstick retrofit

MDORPHN

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Ride
BMW 1M
My single turbo 1M appeared to be consuming enormous quantities of oil during this year's One Lap of America. After adding almost a gallon of oil over the course of a couple track events and 1,000+ miles of transits, we were concerned we might have overfilled it.

Due to this concern and our distrust of the electronic sensor (which seems to read either full or one quart low with no intermediate readings), we ended up draining the oil at 1:00 am in a motel parking lot so we could measure it.

Ended up that the the hot side turbo seal was shot and the oil was being combusted in the exhaust. In any case, having a dipstick would have been much easier!

Neil

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
My single turbo 1M appeared to be consuming enormous quantities of oil during this year's One Lap of America. After adding almost a gallon of oil over the course of a couple track events and 1,000+ miles of transits, we were concerned we might have overfilled it.

Due to this concern and our distrust of the electronic sensor (which seems to read either full or one quart low with no intermediate readings), we ended up draining the oil at 1:00 am in a motel parking lot so we could measure it.

Ended up that the the hot side turbo seal was shot and the oil was being combusted in the exhaust. In any case, having a dipstick would have been much easier!

Neil
So, in the end, the sensor was correct but your distrust of the sensor made you not trust it. Fair enough, a metal stick would have saved the 1am investigation!

You still kicked a$$!

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Done

Just drilled a hole in the oil sump and started welding...

IMG_20200512_195147.jpg

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Step by step guide:
- You buy a dipstick that you like. I just told my shop to get some of different length from a scrapyard.
- You install it the way you like (using drilling + welding). I mean its a dip stick...
- You add 7L of oil, and put a new mark on the dip stick
- Done

Mine looks a bit like this

07k115610a.jpg

And was mounted in this location

mmexport1589200295930.jpg

Only problem with this location is that it is next to the oil temperature sensor, and the stick had to be cut a bit short in order not to hit it.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I believe that M18 or another newer company has a dipstick retrofit kit for sale now that doesn't require drilling but it only works on xdrive oil pans or something similar? I'll see if I can find the post I saw

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride