N54 HPFP VCV Tables

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Pics not working, what are they?
Are you looking for something specific or just wanting to add anything you might not have yet? I have quite a few HPFP done for IKM0S and had about 60 done in INA0S, but can't find where I saved that XDF on any computer lol

@AzNdevil VL/full load HPFP target didn't yield anything different enabled/changed when I tried a year or 2 ago, have you tested? Maybe it works on other families, operating modes or pedal past kick down, but it seems to be a copy of the HPFP homo high mass row and doesn't effect settings in that table.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Well, do you have something a little bit more subtle ? This sounds brutal...

It's fine, just a mental hurdle to get over tbh. There are 800whp+ ST cars doing it every race :)

Are you looking for something specific or just wanting to add anything you might not have yet? I have quite a few HPFP done for IKM0S and had about 60 done in INA0S, but can't find where I saved that XDF on any computer lol

@AzNdevil VL/full load HPFP target didn't yield anything different enabled/changed when I tried a year or 2 ago, have you tested? Maybe it works on other families, operating modes or pedal past kick down, but it seems to be a copy of the HPFP homo high mass row and doesn't effect settings in that table.

Nah, was just curious. Was going to try and save testers some time depending on what they were as there are quite a few that don't do anything, for example none of the Conti layer high pressure targets as they are overridden by the BMW layer in the logic. Also, the lookup indexes per operating mode technically disable the VL (full load) single row tables from ever being used as you found via trial and error.

Reactions: RSL

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
truth is, lots of stuff are floating around behind the scenes but as far as i know this stuff is not in the public

as for the ots maps... i tested the v8 maps on a friends car and it wasnt that great...

The OTS MHD maps are all over the place, Ken seems to completely rework everything from one revision to the next. All of the logs I see posted on E90 have some fault with them, the most recent ones have poor boost targetting and DCT cars seem to always have torque limits triggering on shifts which is always a fault with the tune.

It would be a shame if new features make it into OTS maps but not as flash options. Just means more digging into the DAMOS is needed to keep up.

Stormshadow335

Private
Mar 27, 2020
New Jersey
Ride
Big turbo 335i
since i am busy with life...i am going to put my IJE0S file here for you guys to play with...

Sort of new to modifying tunes myself. So the XDF only translates what's in my bin, right?
yep the names are different... you can match the address and description for what you need

and thanks to @Chris@Motiv for testing the theories out...

in short, the clunking is due to the high (~2900 psi) startup hpfp pressure in the high pressure fuel target (cold) map
you can either adjust the threshold on when it switches over to the (warm) map or reduce the fuel pressure target in the cold map

as for vcv tuning, higher A (Amperage) value = the valve extends more(more fuel), do keep in mind... the valve will lock up past a certain A

So, I’d like to install my helix overdrive, but want to have the calibration issues sorted before the install. I’m also new to modifying my own bin, so I’ve got a few questions.
  • I thought XDFs only unlock/translate the info already currently in your bin.
  • Does the XDF you provided have the fix already coded in, or does it only provide access to the tables needed to make the changes?
  • If the fix isn’t already coded in, would you be able to do a bullet point summary of the changes that need to be made with screenshots?
  • I also heard that calibrations also need to be made to ensure the additional flow from the helix isn’t bottlenecked. Do these changes address that?
I’m focused on self-tuning my car, but would bite the bullet and have a tuner tune it if there’s a good chance I’ll have some sort of failure by not having it professionally tweaked.

Thnx!

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong

well it seems the table sort of affected the hpfp pressure on my car but the settings i tested is similar to what i got in my homo high pressure table
only it didnt really follow the homo hpfp prsesure table before and now it does better...but then i have made other changes so it could be those as well

i do have my doubts on it as well since the bmw specific tables supposingly override them... its up to other people to test it i guess....

Sort of new to modifying tunes myself. So the XDF only translates what's in my bin, right? <-- yes

So, I’d like to install my helix overdrive, but want to have the calibration issues sorted before the install. I’m also new to modifying my own bin, so I’ve got a few questions.
  • I thought XDFs only unlock/translate the info already currently in your bin. <-- yes
  • Does the XDF you provided have the fix already coded in, or does it only provide access to the tables needed to make the changes? <-- the last part only
  • If the fix isn’t already coded in, would you be able to do a bullet point summary of the changes that need to be made with screenshots? <-- its up to you to decide what works and what doesnt...
  • I also heard that calibrations also need to be made to ensure the additional flow from the helix isn’t bottlenecked. Do these changes address that? <-- correct calibrations ideally should bring down the hpfp pressure so it doesnt blow the hpfp or upset the dme
I’m focused on self-tuning my car, but would bite the bullet and have a tuner tune it if there’s a good chance I’ll have some sort of failure by not having it professionally tweaked. <-- not sure how much understanding you have on this topic, i am not a pro by any means..i know enough to be dangerous
the n54/msd81 combo doesnt let things get too out of hand unless you mess with it too much which can be good and bad at the same time...
but the learning curve is also steep as its not as straightforward with standalones out there (imo)

anyone can make changes to an unlocked map, but basic understanding of how everything works and experience will get you where you need a lot faster
there isnt a right or wrong way to do one thing (most of the time), worst case, you blow something up and learn from it

i started messing with my car only because my base tune from one of the "popular" e-tuners caused low hpfp pressures even witha helix installed. i went and replaced my whole fuel system (injectors/hpfp x2/lpfp x2/sensors/hoses/regulator/etc) but the end result was still the same so i got pissed and its all good now...

Thnx!

Stormshadow335

Private
Mar 27, 2020
New Jersey
Ride
Big turbo 335i
well it seems the table sort of affected the hpfp pressure on my car but the settings i tested is similar to what i got in my homo high pressure table
only it didnt really follow the homo hpfp prsesure table before and now it does better...but then i have made other changes so it could be those as well

i do have my doubts on it as well since the bmw specific tables supposingly override them... its up to other people to test it i guess....

Sorry to hear that. I've had a few bad experiences myself. As a result, I've been a strictly OTS tune guy. Now that I've gone single that's not a real option. Hopefully I won't blow anything up lol. I've been doing a little tuning to the OTS BEF maps, mainly fuel and timing. ...hasn't worked out bad so far.

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
Sorry to hear that. I've had a few bad experiences myself. As a result, I've been a strictly OTS tune guy. Now that I've gone single that's not a real option. Hopefully I won't blow anything up lol. I've been doing a little tuning to the OTS BEF maps, mainly fuel and timing. ...hasn't worked out bad so far.

if you are on a jb4 like your signature says then... most of the stuff is out there already...
jb4 ST BEF, set the jb4 up for ST, log and see where you would like to go next

Stormshadow335

Private
Mar 27, 2020
New Jersey
Ride
Big turbo 335i
if you are on a jb4 like your signature says then... most of the stuff is out there already...
jb4 ST BEF, set the jb4 up for ST, log and see where you would like to go next

That's where I'm at in the process now. I'm running the pump ST BEF and tweaking it slightly. Recently setup meth injection. Will have to upgrade to two nozzles though. ...still gettin timing drops running 16 psi, which seems like a small amount of boost to be getting timing frops with meth. ...will be installing the helix once I feel comfortable with the tuning calibrations. Hopefully I'll be able to run some more boost them.

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
That's where I'm at in the process now. I'm running the pump ST BEF and tweaking it slightly. Recently setup meth injection. Will have to upgrade to two nozzles though. ...still gettin timing drops running 16 psi, which seems like a small amount of boost to be getting timing frops with meth. ...will be installing the helix once I feel comfortable with the tuning calibrations. Hopefully I'll be able to run some more boost them.

IMO the BEF is just a starting point.. different conditions (car/turbo/intercooler/etc/etc) can lead to different end results...
two ways to test it if it was me, drop the boost or keep the boost and drop the timings round that particular area 1-2 degrees and see if it goes away

Stormshadow335

Private
Mar 27, 2020
New Jersey
Ride
Big turbo 335i
IMO the BEF is just a starting point.. different conditions (car/turbo/intercooler/etc/etc) can lead to different end results...
two ways to test it if it was me, drop the boost or keep the boost and drop the timings round that particular area 1-2 degrees and see if it goes away

Thnx for the advice. Seems like most of the timing drops are at higher RPMs/load, usually in 4th, so I dropped the timing a little. ..will do a log tomorrow and see if it helps. Don't know why I was being stubborn about dropping the timing. I have no real reference to go on but a feeling that I should be able to run those boost levels with meth w/o lowering the timing. I know. Sounds silly:)

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Omar@Hydra said something similar to me a little back, still don't understand the concept to this day.
You want me to floor the gas pedal and pop the clutch to shift while still flooring the gas pedal? Won't that result in instant rev limiter ?
During a flat foot shift your probably close to limiter already so the pi safety does a spark cut instead of timing pull. Sounds great and way safer

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Does anyone have the VCV Tables for INA0S?

The ones from VTT are IJ and I8... also they seem to have removed the download from their website.