N54 HPFP VCV Tables

mj6234

Private
Nov 25, 2020
Possibly a dumb question here, but looking at the PFS POD and want to understand what needs to be done to tune for the cold start and other situations. I have done my own tuning so far.

Is the only real issue the cold start? The fix to lower the coolant temp threshold to flip to the hot map doesn't seem great to me. It seems like the flow request->current request table would need to be changed to account for additional flow at lower loads (if the POD is spinning the HPFP at 3x the stock rate)? Or maybe it would be better to do it in the current request->PWM table if low currents cause an issue with HPFP?

Are there other known tables that are missing?

V8bait

Sergeant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Possibly a dumb question here, but looking at the PFS POD and want to understand what needs to be done to tune for the cold start and other situations. I have done my own tuning so far.

Is the only real issue the cold start? The fix to lower the coolant temp threshold to flip to the hot map doesn't seem great to me. It seems like the flow request->current request table would need to be changed to account for additional flow at lower loads (if the POD is spinning the HPFP at 3x the stock rate)? Or maybe it would be better to do it in the current request->PWM table if low currents cause an issue with HPFP?

Are there other known tables that are missing?

If you want to try and find the cold start flow req tables, test them, then define them for all the roms for a slightly more accurate hpfp control when everything is cold feel free. We have to work within the defined tables and it's 10x better on the components to just basically bypass the cold start hpfp controls for the minimal emissions benefit they may provide rather than let it flop around using the currently undefined and definitely uncalibrated cold ones. Just being real here.

mj6234

Private
Nov 25, 2020
Appreciate the feedback, if the cold start stuff is emissions, that makes me feel better. Wondering if the LPFP target + HPFP target and associated PID tables are coming in the XDF update. Seems like those would be very useful as well for this.

V8bait

Sergeant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Appreciate the feedback, if the cold start stuff is emissions, that makes me feel better. Wondering if the LPFP target + HPFP target and associated PID tables are coming in the XDF update. Seems like those would be very useful as well for this.
It's not all emissions, but higher pressure helps atomize fuel when the motor is cold, so you don't need to burn as rich and it's cleaner etc. Using the warm pressure targets it's still superior to any port fuel car so I don't think it's a big concern.

KClemente

Corporal
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
It's not all emissions, but higher pressure helps atomize fuel when the motor is cold, so you don't need to burn as rich and it's cleaner etc. Using the warm pressure targets it's still superior to any port fuel car so I don't think it's a big concern.
So I’ve been tuning my own Helix for some time now and defined a bunch of rail pressure target maps and adjusted the to suit the 3x. Before I removed my dual fuel pump setup (temporarily) I would still get oscillations of about +/-4 on my FP_H. Jake said he’d send me a custom userchannel.xml for MHD rail pressure target monitoring but I never got it.

All I have are the generic helix/shotgun calibration + my custom targets on the rest of the rail pressure maps.

What’s the direct cause of the hpfp oscillating during pulls?

KClemente

Corporal
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
What are the generic changes?
The photo in the .zip file on the first post of this thread. Attached are the official instructions Spool sends you when you request for the tune changes. I'm not kidding.... Change the extension to .docx if you wanna view the document yourself.

Screenshot (66).png

Attachments

• VCV tuning.zip
    29.5 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: keninger

mj6234

Private
Nov 25, 2020
I found these in another thread as well. Seems to be close to what you are suggesting. ***Disclaimer*** I havent tested any of this so use at your own risk. Increasing the max current seems to be the most risky to me.

1618248502005.png