N54 Dual HPFP

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
The N54 rotary pump far outflows any of those cam style pumps. Its why we can get 650WHP on 100% E85 by just spinning it a little faster. The stock B58 pump is DONE on pump gas by 450WHP. On E85 less than 400. The Supra or TU pump is better, but the N54 rotary pump outflows it by a wide margin. Your suggestion is a downgrade on the N54 pump. Also, pressure and flow are related but not the same. The N54 pump can easily push 5000PSI of pressure. Pressure is not volume

Last edited:

50race

Jul 10, 2020
GM/Stanadyne LT4 pump being used by many after market companies for bmw/vw/audi/ford ecoboost upgrade would "fit" into this. 700hp capable per pump running the stock LT4 cam profile and 1/2 engine speed. So with this Dual Wield of LT4 pumps could be 1400HP if you have the right cam profile and lpfp setup. LT4 pump from ACdelco part number HPM1036 is about $670 per pump online right now. You have to make adapter parts for them which is why places sell the N55 kits for 1100-1600 per pump. Its a lot harder than a just bolting it up but should be possible.

Reactions: doublespaces

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
GM/Stanadyne LT4 pump being used by many after market companies for bmw/vw/audi/ford ecoboost upgrade would "fit" into this. 700hp capable per pump running the stock LT4 cam profile and 1/2 engine speed. So with this Dual Wield of LT4 pumps could be 1400HP if you have the right cam profile and lpfp setup. LT4 pump from ACdelco part number HPM1036 is about $670 per pump online right now. You have to make adapter parts for them which is why places sell the N55 kits for 1100-1600 per pump. Its a lot harder than a just bolting it up but should be possible.
Hop on it!

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i

The issue is the control logic. @bahn is running around with an n54+n55 pump, but that's just a single cam style pump and reuses existing n54 rotary pump control logic. I'd be surprised to see anyone take the effort to control both cam pumps and just throw away the perfectly good N54 control logic...it's already there and wired directly to a pump made for this car.

50race

Jul 10, 2020
The issue is the control logic. @bahn is running around with an n54+n55 pump, but that's just a single cam style pump and reuses existing n54 rotary pump control logic. I'd be surprised to see anyone take the effort to control both cam pumps and just throw away the perfectly good N54 control logic...it's already there and wired directly to a pump made for this car.
I didn't suggest throwing anything away. That is up to the controls guy.

If modified N54 logic/parameters was used to run the N55 pump that is great. Then, the 700HP single pump version has almost been done then. Maybe a N54 has with one of the already available N55/LT4 pump upgrades+N55 conversion. I see some strategies based on my being present at development but programming is not in my wheelhouse and I'd be speaking out of turn if I gave a proposal on how to drive the pumps.

Have to find one guy that knows what he is doing and interested in seeing it through for the logic side otherwise it's a WALL. Most of the pump stuff I have worked on took what seemed like a week for the controls guy/s to rewrite the code/modify for major mechanical changes made. At least to the point of proof of concept.

The injectors may start to be the limit for engines with N54 piezo injectors. That is a tricky one to change mechanically because of how the injector is all welded up. I have developed on and designed a couple piezo injectors. And if this injector works mechanically how I remember it. It would need more voltage to open the plunger further. Bad thing is the higher the voltage the higher the stress in the piezo crystals. I have always been impressed how robust the piezo in the N54 has been. Usually leaky but still trying to operate failures.

All I know is what I can see from the mechanical side. And S55 cam housing for dual cam driven LT4 pumps would be a very clean setup mechanically. N55 cars that have the dual pump dme stuff present would be a lot easier. N55 would be an easier place in get it running first. Does anybody have an N55 engine ready for 1400hp of fuel?

I'm glad this is being worked on. Weather this effort completes it or 10 more failed attempts before it happens I would bet that dual cam drive pumps come into the market as the prices drive down.

1. Has to be done/figured out
2. Cost has to lower to a threshold that is reasonable.

I could be wrong on the below lists I'm looking at upgrades so I've just been putting things together

700hp Vargas Double Barrel
Vargas Double barrel is $1300
Second pump $620
Controller split second Ai6 $350
Miscellaneous install hardware $???
Total $2300 ish

700hp S55/LT4 hybrid(big assumption on cam profile)
Lt4 pump 1x $670
Adapter for LT4 $150
S55 Cam drive system $??? (Dorman housing may have the cam in it for $400)
Tappets $100 BMW
Rail/line $300 estimate
The magic pixie dust controls system $300 estimate maybe not needed.
Second pump delete/block off plate $50 estimate
Miscellaneous $300 estimate
Total $2300 ish very rough estimate

1400hp S55/LT4x2
700hp kit $2300
Add second pump $670
Adapter/Hardware kit $200
Total $3200 ish

Again it's a lot harder than a keyboard or PowerPoint makes it seem/sound.

Really cool project with the S55 pump setup. I hope it is a success. There is a lot of potential here for further upgrade.

Last edited:

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa

Not exactly using the existing N54 rotary pump logic as that wouldn't take into account plunger/piston position. There's a separate controller board that we've interfaced with the DME, giving the DME demand/triggering control over the cam driven pump.

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Is there any reason you can't have one HPFP on full permanently and then have the DME control the second?
HPFPs contain pressure release valves don't they and the fuel rail can be upgraded to include a fuel pressure regulator/ return line.
Like the low pressure setup. Wouldn't the DME duty the pump it controls up and down to hit fuel rail pressure target.

I understand that injectors must calculate\meter how much fuel to release based on a pressure differential and pulse duration.
Would there be any downside in keeping fuel rail pressure almost constant?

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
Is there any reason you can't have one HPFP on full permanently and then have the DME control the second?
HPFPs contain pressure release valves don't they and the fuel rail can be upgraded to include a fuel pressure regulator/ return line.
Like the low pressure setup. Wouldn't the DME duty the pump it controls up and down to hit fuel rail pressure target.

I understand that injectors must calculate\meter how much fuel to release based on a pressure differential and pulse duration.
Would there be any downside in keeping fuel rail pressure almost constant?
There's more to it than just feeding a cam style pump a duty cycle, you have to appropriately time the activation events to the cam position sensor.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
And you wouldn't want to hit that internal pressure relief valve. That causes a plunge in your rail pressure, happened frequently early on with the over drives.

Reactions: bahn

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Its been dead for quite awhile, still some new development here and there but when you can get a b58 and throw a few grand in and make more power than the n54 will ever handle, no wonder.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I'm also waiting. But I think the N54 platform is already dead, sadly

DI is not a good choice for High HP on the N54 which is why no vendor bothers with this. The cost of two HPFPs + whatever hardware and software required to make it work is just not worth it when you can buy a PI metal intake manifold form BMS for $500 bucks.

VTT had a twin HPFP solution which no one bought because one it failures and issues left and right(like all VTT products), but also because it was expensive as fuck, $2,800 uninstalled, and needed the exact same piggy back fuel injector controller that PI requires. Oh and VTT stopped selling the twin HPFP kit because it was such a failure. That should tell you something.

Why would you want to spend $2500-$3500(got the price from above) for DI on the n54 when a $500 intake manifold does a better job? PI cleans the valves and you can use as large of injectors as you would ever want. The stock N54 injectors are a limitation, no one makes larger ones, they become an issue at high RPM when the injection window is VERY short. If you increase your redline you decrease your injection window lowering the HP the DI injectors can support.

Now, you could always overspin the HPFP for relatively small money but they make loud noises, I have been told, and often leak their precious oil etc. Not a long term solution it seems. Also they are below 700whp on 100% E85. Now on an Emix you can get closer but personally I am not a fan of E mixes at the pump.

As far as the platform being dead, it is 17 YEARS OLD. What do you expect? That being said, in 2022 a number of new products were released for the n54. Many vendors have moved on to more profitable platforms which is not surprising. The cost of a cast turbo is the same on an n54 as a s58. Guess which one you get to charge 2-3x as much for? Time to fleece the newbies! The best part is many of them are the same shitty n54 vendors.

Last edited:
Reactions: houtan

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Its been dead for quite awhile, still some new development here and there but when you can get a b58 and throw a few grand in and make more power than the n54 will ever handle, no wonder.
Absolutely right unfortunately