N54 Dual HPFP

JimboFresh206

Sergeant
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335/635/535/533/633
brazing is pretty common on diesel rails?

I dont see why it wouldn't work as long as it was done right.

My m30 has a dead end, dual feed rail thats braised and it was made at a diesel shop :) not a DI car but they didnt mention anything and its doing fine.

Last edited:

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
silver brazing is pretty common on diesel rails?

I dont see why it wouldn't work as long as it was done right.

My m30 has a dead end, dual feed rail thats braised and it was made at a diesel shop :) not a DI car but they didnt mention anything and its doing fine.
Braze joints have no tensile strength, only shear.

Reactions: JimboFresh206

JimboFresh206

Sergeant
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335/635/535/533/633
Wouldnt an s55 rail, with custom lines to meet the injectors be better? I know I can have the lines made at wofsco.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Hey everyone. Just a quick update.

This project is still on and I am fully committed to it. Just had to get a few things done that will hold me over from not being able to use my hand much for a few months.

Bench results have been good but getting the pump to behave on the car is a challenge of course. I have some new things I want to test as soon as I can get back on it.

The support has been great. I know I am the bottleneck here and I am as excited to get this to work as anyone.

I got the pumps installed early anticipating this so now the electronics will be a low impact sort of work.

Cheers

20190209_104609.jpg

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
I have been able to get back to some testing. Currently, I am now able to drive the pump with a simulated DME PWM signal while accounting for the CAM position sensor.

I am able to control the pressure by me manually altering the frequency/duty cycle and keep it around my desired target. It still tends to creep up or down (with no feedback control) but the creep is slow enough that I can adjust for it.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Next task:
- Take my prototype CAM Feedback Controller and make it more suitable for in car testing
- Locate new components that will allow the controller to operate at the max possible amperage of the pumps

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
I have yet to see any definitive proof that a single N55 pump is any different than a single S55 pump other than the fuel inlet / outlet location. I doubt the cam profile is different either, other than adding an extra lobe for the second pump. If cam profile were different, that is the easiest change to make anyway.

they are the same from what i saw on my pump. But i also made a custom cam to fit to these. I need to put in on my buddies car and see how much more flow i get. I've been being partially lazy, but mostly busy.

But how well do the s55 hpfp pumps handle being pushed at that level ?

Are they ok or at their ragged edge ?

Fine thus far, i've pushed E40-E85 through them from stock twins to upgraded twins. They seem to actually hold up fine in my experience.

That has me very curious how the oem put the bungs on. They look like the threaded end was micro tig’d into the bing, but the bing just looks like it was brazed on. I wonder if the bing welds are on the inside? No way braze joints are holding all that fuel pressure.

Trouble is the injector lines on the S55 rail are fixed, so not only would you need to make 6x lines for the injectors, but 6x welds/joints as well..

No need to even mess with the rail. Just use my adapter and line kits on the stock rail. done.20180629_171305.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: fmorelli

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
they are the same from what i saw on my pump. But i also made a custom cam to fit to these. I need to put in on my buddies car and see how much more flow i get. I've been being partially lazy, but mostly busy.

What is it, 4 or 5 lobe? I'll be able to test one in a few weeks if you want to make an extra hah

Just use my adapter and line kits on the stock rail. done.

This is nice. What pressure is that line good for?

LOL @ $5k. No need for that anyway, a few good reasonably priced solutions are in the works.

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
What is it, 4 or 5 lobe? I'll be able to test one in a few weeks if you want to make an extra hah

This is nice. What pressure is that line good for?

LOL @ $5k. No need for that anyway, a few good reasonably priced solutions are in the works.

Current one is 4 lobe. 5 lobe is in design phase. But 5 lobe may not be any improvement due to needing a shorter stroke to keep from sharp angles that can stress and lock up.

But once I get some miles on it. I'll off a service of installing or a core program. Because it's not exactly easy to install.

Already have the 4 lobe fitted about to go into a client car.

Hose is 5800psi working pressure.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
I have been testing this very prototype looking harness on the car and we are getting a decent idle rail pressure and the pressure is following the engine revs and coming back down nicely.

This is with a single S55 pump

Last edited:

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Have had a few steps forward and few steps back., but overall good progress. Still running only one of the S55 pumps.
and... the tank has E30 in it which has not been accounted for.

Below is a log of the engine in a cold start and warming up. you can see initial high rail pressure on first start then settles down nicely

HPFP_Test_Warmup.jpg

It was running well enough I decided to do a bit of a pull from 2,000 rpm to about 5k. The rail pressure responded as well as can be expected at this point

HPFP_Test_lite_driving.jpg

Reactions: Torgus and fmorelli