Motiv Flex Fuel Installation Guide

tortue-xTz

Lurker
Jul 19, 2020
New FlexFuel Box and harness received from Jake@Motiv :)
i hope i can test it soon (after reflashing FF map) but i don't know when because of bad weather (no garage) and pandemic situation.

Prolifik123

Lurker
Nov 6, 2020
According to mhd my ff voltage is still 4.05v even though none of the FF box or harness is installed.... How do I fix this? I want to maybe flash back to stock then to the FF v82+

mj6234

Corporal
Nov 25, 2020
Great instructions, just got FF up and running. Wet today so no chance to really log. Local 91 is reporting 6.7% ethanol.

It would be nice if the ground wire was like 3" longer, but i made it work.

mj6234

Corporal
Nov 25, 2020
Great instructions, just got FF up and running. Wet today so no chance to really log. Local 91 is reporting 6.7% ethanol.

It would be nice if the ground wire was like 3" longer, but i made it work.

Well, at WOT mine also goes right to 100% ethanol. Emailed MOTIV. No secondary pump or hobbs switch. :(

Benjiman

Lurker
May 2, 2021
Hello everyone. I just installed the motiv flex fuel kit on my E93 RHD (I'm in the UK), however its throwing some error codes.
I'm sure everything is connected correctly and have double checked.
Green wire into pin 16 on small black connector, however on my car there was no wire in that location so I just added the green to the empty slot.
Orange wire to pin 25 on large black connector, which was an empty slot.
Yellow wire to pin 10 on large black connector, original yellow pin removed and connected to yellow wire male jumper.
Red wire tapped into pin 2 of green connector.
Ground wire ground on one of the ground bolt by the wheel arch.

It throws the follow four codes when I connect the motiv flex fuel module to the harness;
2CF9 - DME: Throttle-valve potentiometer 1.
2CFA - DME: Throttle-valve potentiometer 2.
2D09 - DME: THROTTLE.
2C1D - DME: Accelerator-pedal module, pedal-position sensor 1, voltage supply.

I haven't tried starting the car with these errors. If I clear them, they reappear on next scan. However if I unplug the flex fuel module from the harness and reset the codes, they do not reappear.

I have the super license and have flashed my regular pump gas map 93oct and selected 'Flex Fuel Module Installed' in options before flashing.
Checking the monitor with the engine off it reads 10% Ethanol Content and 0.78 ECA Voltage. I'm using Shell 99ron fuel which should be around 5% ethanol so not sure why it's reading 10%, maybe because its just sitting still with no flow. Fuel lines should be pressurised as I installed the ethanol sensor and fuel line first and started the engine to make sure there were no leaks before wiring in the harness.

Had a quick google and skim of this thread, I will read through all the pages now in case there is anything I missed.
I noticed that another user NoGuru on page 15 had tapped into pin 8 for power instead of pin 2 on the same green connector, could this make a difference?
I also noticed that another user Prolifik123 page 17 had similar codes and was advised to repin the harness. Is this just a case of removing the pins, cutting back and crimping new pins, or do the actual wires need replacing also?

Thanks for any help guys

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
Hello everyone. I just installed the motiv flex fuel kit on my E93 RHD (I'm in the UK), however its throwing some error codes.
I'm sure everything is connected correctly and have double checked.
Green wire into pin 16 on small black connector, however on my car there was no wire in that location so I just added the green to the empty slot.
Orange wire to pin 25 on large black connector, which was an empty slot.
Yellow wire to pin 10 on large black connector, original yellow pin removed and connected to yellow wire male jumper.
Red wire tapped into pin 2 of green connector.
Ground wire ground on one of the ground bolt by the wheel arch.

It throws the follow four codes when I connect the motiv flex fuel module to the harness;
2CF9 - DME: Throttle-valve potentiometer 1.
2CFA - DME: Throttle-valve potentiometer 2.
2D09 - DME: THROTTLE.
2C1D - DME: Accelerator-pedal module, pedal-position sensor 1, voltage supply.

I haven't tried starting the car with these errors. If I clear them, they reappear on next scan. However if I unplug the flex fuel module from the harness and reset the codes, they do not reappear.

I have the super license and have flashed my regular pump gas map 93oct and selected 'Flex Fuel Module Installed' in options before flashing.
Checking the monitor with the engine off it reads 10% Ethanol Content and 0.78 ECA Voltage. I'm using Shell 99ron fuel which should be around 5% ethanol so not sure why it's reading 10%, maybe because its just sitting still with no flow. Fuel lines should be pressurised as I installed the ethanol sensor and fuel line first and started the engine to make sure there were no leaks before wiring in the harness.

Had a quick google and skim of this thread, I will read through all the pages now in case there is anything I missed.
I noticed that another user NoGuru on page 15 had tapped into pin 8 for power instead of pin 2 on the same green connector, could this make a difference?
I also noticed that another user Prolifik123 page 17 had similar codes and was advised to repin the harness. Is this just a case of removing the pins, cutting back and crimping new pins, or do the actual wires need replacing also?

Thanks for any help guys
Your FF module is bad. This exact same thing happened to me. have a look here: https://www.spoolstreet.com/threads/throttle-codes-2abc-3100.3898/

Reactions: Benjiman

Benjiman

Lurker
May 2, 2021
Your FF module is bad. This exact same thing happened to me. have a look here: https://www.spoolstreet.com/threads/throttle-codes-2abc-3100.3898/
Not what I wanted to hear lol. Thanks for the info, did you just change the module or the module and harness?
Prolifik123 was instructed to re pin his harness, which eliminated the codes but he still had problems with the ethanol reading. My ethanol reading seems ok I think. If you changed both the harness and module then maybe it was a fault with your harness?

I did some more tinkering around;
If I remove (only) the Orange wire, the error codes go away and the ethanol reading still looks ok. Does anyone know what the Orange wire is for?
If I remove (only) the Green wire, the error codes remain plus the ethanol reading now goes wrong and reads 100% 4.05v.

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
Not what I wanted to hear lol. Thanks for the info, did you just change the module or the module and harness?
Prolifik123 was instructed to re pin his harness, which eliminated the codes but he still had problems with the ethanol reading. My ethanol reading seems ok I think. If you changed both the harness and module then maybe it was a fault with your harness?

I did some more tinkering around;
If I remove (only) the Orange wire, the error codes go away and the ethanol reading still looks ok. Does anyone know what the Orange wire is for?
If I remove (only) the Green wire, the error codes remain plus the ethanol reading now goes wrong and reads 100% 4.05v.
I mean it could be fine. I just know I was using mine for months then out of no where that happened. I removed it then when I got new one i plugged it in and all was fine. I dont think the harness would be bad.

Benjiman

Lurker
May 2, 2021
So you just replaced the module and left original harness in place?
I'll wait and see what Motiv reply to me. Disconnected the module and harness and flashed back to regular map for now.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I mean it could be fine. I just know I was using mine for months then out of no where that happened. I removed it then when I got new one i plugged it in and all was fine. I dont think the harness would be bad.
Same with mine, it was good for almost a year then stopped working. Replaced the entire system a few times and never got it working again. Just run a set amount of E now. Well just full in currently.

Benjiman

Lurker
May 2, 2021
Same with mine, it was good for almost a year then stopped working. Replaced the entire system a few times and never got it working again. Just run a set amount of E now. Well just full in currently.
I read through all your posts about that, sucks that you replaced everything and still didn't get it working again! Still waiting to hear from motiv, hopefully they can offer some advice.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I read through all your posts about that, sucks that you replaced everything and still didn't get it working again! Still waiting to hear from motiv, hopefully they can offer some advice.
Yeah in the end they did try really hard to get it working and I an happy with the support. My guess is they will try and push the reflex to resolve the issue.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Some questions on the Flex fuel wiring. If one has the option/ability to use an alternative flex fuel ECA, such as FuelIt's by using an analog 0-5v input on X6002 pin 16 - what is the purpose of the other 2 wires the Motiv ECA connects? From my searching, X6005 pin 25 is unused, and pin 10 is IAT/boost pressure sensor. What is the purpose of intercepting that signal?

mj6234

Corporal
Nov 25, 2020
I must not have posted back in this thread. If you have the got to 100% at WOT, change the power source. There are 2 wires on the green harness to tap into. Changing to the other one solved my problem.

Reactions: Mickyp10

mj6234

Corporal
Nov 25, 2020
Some questions on the Flex fuel wiring. If one has the option/ability to use an alternative flex fuel ECA, such as FuelIt's by using an analog 0-5v input on X6002 pin 16 - what is the purpose of the other 2 wires the Motiv ECA connects? From my searching, X6005 pin 25 is unused, and pin 10 is IAT/boost pressure sensor. What is the purpose of intercepting that signal?

I never figured out what pin 25 was used for. Pin 10 is to scale the output signal to a PI controller.

Yes, you can use a generic 0-5v output, but have to update the voltage to ethanol table in the tune. I don't think you really lose anything. MOTIV says anything over 3v is 'error voltage'. But it doesn't trigger a light, doesn't reduce load or timing, and in the default bin after the FF conversion is run will report 100% ethanol content for any voltage over 3v.

That being said, my FF has worked 100% perfect since I moved the power source for the ECA.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Jake said that pin 25 is constant 5v for the ECA. If the pin 10 is only used for an AIC controller scaling, I don't understand why we have to remove it and connect the motiv wire in it's place and then connect the yellow wire to the jumper. The only part that the instructions say is optional is connecting the AIC wire to the blue wire. If I am not using an AIC, then I would expect I should not have to mess with that pin, which is the boost reference signal straight from the TMAP in the chargepipe (confirmed by multimeter.)

mj6234

Corporal
Nov 25, 2020
Jake said that pin 25 is constant 5v for the ECA. If the pin 10 is only used for an AIC controller scaling, I don't understand why we have to remove it and connect the motiv wire in it's place and then connect the yellow wire to the jumper. The only part that the instructions say is optional is connecting the AIC wire to the blue wire. If I am not using an AIC, then I would expect I should not have to mess with that pin, which is the boost reference signal straight from the TMAP in the chargepipe (confirmed by multimeter.)
I agree. I know people have used the FuelIt ECA successfully and I am certain it doesn't have a tap into the TMAP. I'd be surprised if it was required if not using the PI output.

Benjiman

Lurker
May 2, 2021
Sorry can’t help with what the wires are for. I never got mine working though, first one I tried was second hand so I returned it and bought a brand new one but that left me with the exact same errors as before.
I gave up in the end, figured it must be something wrong with my car. Checked all fuses and only error code I have is for heated wing mirror which I doubt is the cause.
Hopefully you’ll get yours working again.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
It is only there for V8, 9, and 10 OTS maps. You must also select a pump map on the OTS map selection screen.