Motiv Flex Fuel Installation Guide

Prolifik123

Lurker
Nov 6, 2020
Screenshot_20201107-165904.png
This is the errors I get, can does that throttle blipping when started. Undriveable.

Have reset throttle adaptation. Have waited sufficient time.

Motiv no response as of yet (weekend)..... There is heaps of people I've read with exactly same issue but no where has a fix....

Green into 16 (small black)
Orange into 25(large black)
Yellow daisy chained into 10 (large black)
V8 stage 2+ flashed with motiv flex fuel ticked.
Changed multiple grounds
Mhd shows 4.05 volts to the ECA
Have flex fuel map pack (mhd)
Have ethanol map pack (mhd)

Anything I'm missing?

When I remove the green and orange wire car runs and performs perfect.

Do i flash something particular before installing the box or what?

Last edited:

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54
EDIT: Thanks your finding and reading my post. Unfortunately, Spoolstreet is no longer a neutral platform where we can have honest discussions on subjects and products freely.
For this reason I have deleted all information I posted on the forums.

Last edited:

Prolifik123

Lurker
Nov 6, 2020
Appreciate your input.
I garentee installation is correct.
I've quadrupled checked all instructions and connections

jzx_andy

Corporal
May 22, 2019
Perth, Western Australia
Ride
2008 E92 335i 6MT
If you haven't already, check all the connections in the motiv harness for continuity, and then move on to your TMAP connections. From memory, the yellow wire in the DME box runs to the TMAP - if one or more of the yellow wires in your harness is gone, that might be causing the sensor and throttle-related codes?

I had an issue with a wiring harness that was causing an error voltage around 4.08v, but I wasn't getting any codes like you. Swapped to a brand new harness and everything started working as normal.

Prolifik123

Lurker
Nov 6, 2020
If you haven't already, check all the connections in the motiv harness for continuity, and then move on to your TMAP connections. From memory, the yellow wire in the DME box runs to the TMAP - if one or more of the yellow wires in your harness is gone, that might be causing the sensor and throttle-related codes?

This suggestion sounds plausible. However, when I uninstall the green and orange wires, I leave the yellow daisy chained. The car runs normal. Ruling out this idea.

They worked with me for almost a year. Very good service but we just could not get it working.

Awsome. I've sent email. Hopefully they have ideas.

Prolifik123

Lurker
Nov 6, 2020
Just finished checking continuity in the harness. All wires have continuity.

i opened the module box to inspect for damage. No visual damage, and have no wiring diagram to double check connections are in the correct spot in the box....
All i can do now is await motiv for some input i guess.....

tortue-xTz

Lurker
Jul 19, 2020
I'm into the same boat for about six months... no surging but FlexFuel don't work at all.
My ECA voltage is read by MHD at 4.32v (jake tolds me that's also an error code)
i have checked all connections numerous times (i worked in industrial electronics for years), I moved the ground to several different locations, continuity in the wires of the harness is good, no visual damage inside the Motiv Box.

Recently, i should have received another MOTIV box to see if the problem can come from it, but i had to refuse the packet since the duty declaration was not correctly done and i have have to pay another time the taxes although it was a warranty replacement part (with duty fees in France, i already throw more than €500~$600 in parts that "don't work" so i don't want to spend more until i know it has a chance to work). I have to recontact Jake and i hope that he will send me another packet soon (last mails took a lot of time to be answered ... i feel like i'm annoying them for asking a working product)

I hope that the problems that will be solved one day, but i sincerely doubt of it. I'm pretty sure that it will be the same even with a whole new harness + ECA + motiv box. There are too much people reporting weird behavior with the Motiv FF solution (not working, stopped working suddenly, wrong reading when WOT, ...).
It's really annoying that MHD users have to stick with this only solution and can't work with other FF modules with OTS maps (even if it still possible with a custom tune, but not in my plans for the moment)

Prolifik123

Lurker
Nov 6, 2020
Further email Recieved.
Given instructions to repin

After doing so, reflashing v8 FF map, car now runs and operates normally with 0 codes.
However have 4.04v on ECA and 100% fuel interpolation still.
Email sent awaiting reply.

But repin is step in right direction.

Prolifik123

Lurker
Nov 6, 2020
Just an update.
Repin'd ff harness as per instructions.
Codes gone.

Car still throws 4.05v 100%ethanol on mhd.

51hz from white wire
4.12 volt from green.
12v to red

Awaiting Jake's further instructions.

tortue-xTz

Lurker
Jul 19, 2020
So you're more or less in the same position than me, instead your ECA voltage value is read at 4.05V and mine at 4.32V.
I hope that you'll find a solution with Jake and you'll share it on the forum, i really dig this problem for a long time and never made it work once.

Prolifik123

Lurker
Nov 6, 2020
Hey Prolifik123, do you have any news ?
Im still awaiting the new module box that jake @ motive said he would send out before christmas.......

Communication was good for awhile, but unsure where or if anything is actually sent because he has not replied to my request for a tracking number from some weeks ago....... i am assuming christmas/nye period maybe he was on holidays but still has not replied with that information.......

Basically, now, everything is uninstalled. MHD still shows 4.05V on ECA voltage for some reason. Im not to sure why it does not work :-(

Reactions: Mon54ster

tortue-xTz

Lurker
Jul 19, 2020
Okey, thanks for your quick answer ;)
Same here, still awaiting the new module, and no answer to my mails (apart from the auto-message for the holidays).
Initial order was made in may 2020, i'm slowly getting slightly disappointed by the products and the communication, but i don't lose hope and i wish this story will end soon :)

Prolifik123

Lurker
Nov 6, 2020
Okey, thanks for your quick answer ;)
Same here, still awaiting the new module, and no answer to my mails (apart from the auto-message for the holidays).
Initial order was made in may 2020, i'm slowly getting slightly disappointed by the products and the communication, but i don't lose hope and i wish this story will end soon :)
When did your replacement get sent?

Mon54ster

Lurker
Aug 15, 2020
Im still awaiting the new module box that jake @ motive said he would send out before christmas.......

Communication was good for awhile, but unsure where or if anything is actually sent because he has not replied to my request for a tracking number from some weeks ago....... i am assuming christmas/nye period maybe he was on holidays but still has not replied with that information.......

Basically, now, everything is uninstalled. MHD still shows 4.05V on ECA voltage for some reason. Im not to sure why it does not work :-(
I first installed the flex fuel kit on a z4 sdrive35i and it worked like a charm after repinning the flex fuel box. Ordered a second one for a 335is and no codes at all but getting the same 4.05 ECA voltage and 100% ethanol content. All connections seem to be ok. I will try the 335is box on the z4 that is working so I can rule out installation issues and ask for a new flex fuel module.

Reactions: Benji335i

tortue-xTz

Lurker
Jul 19, 2020
When did your replacement get sent?
Sorry for my slow answer, it was sent at the end of October, and the last mail that Jake answer was december 7th. i emaled motiv two times from this point but didn't got answers ...
Motiv FF is the only MHD integrated FF solution, maybe i sould try to contact MHD instead since Motiv doesn't care about a problem that is not solved since months ...
I first installed the flex fuel kit on a z4 sdrive35i and it worked like a charm after repinning the flex fuel box. Ordered a second one for a 335is and no codes at all but getting the same 4.05 ECA voltage and 100% ethanol content. All connections seem to be ok. I will try the 335is box on the z4 that is working so I can rule out installation issues and ask for a new flex fuel module.
This is strange that more users are getting similar problems ... apart from wiring in the DME box, this product is barely plug&play, we shouldn't all have this kind of problems... please keep us informed, maybe we can learn from your experience and get our systems working, thanks !

Last edited: