MHD app enhancements thread

Bigdaddyaaron

Corporal
Nov 5, 2016
USA
yes please put numerical highs and lows back. It's kinda silly to try and compare your "actual triangle" to your "target triangle" mid drive - especially when the scales can lack granularity. Another thing I noticed was the way live monitoring is started; the button for starting it does not suggest it is pressable. Not a big deal, but just a few UX tweaks that would tie everything together.

Also dont take this the wrong way, but did you guys do any usability testing? Basically all of the design shortfalls we listed are pretty glaring (as users) and would have been fleshed out had you shown/demoed the UI prior to release.

Other than that everything else is spot on!

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I'm in the beta channel but never saw anything until the new one was released. :(

The monitoring gauges are so un-usable I've had to use a different phone with the old version

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Have you guys tried to set the alerts on the gauges? Having an alert immediately when a threshold (min or max) is exceeded is infinitely better than seeing minutes later that you had a value higher or lower than what you would have liked. That gives no context...ex, a boost spike could have been a real spike or could be just when throttle closes during a shift. You can also set the minimum pedal value that the alerts are active for, so you only get them when WOT or close to it, etc.

That said, the min/max numbers at the bottom corners will be a toggle-able option in a future update because so many people requested. Alerts are still better though, try them ;)

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
Have you guys tried to set the alerts on the gauges? Having an alert immediately when a threshold (min or max) is exceeded is infinitely better than seeing minutes later that you had a value higher or lower than what you would have liked. That gives no context...ex, a boost spike could have been a real spike or could be just when throttle closes during a shift. You can also set the minimum pedal value that the alerts are active for, so you only get them when WOT or close to it, etc.

That said, the min/max numbers at the bottom corners will be a toggle-able option in a future update because so many people requested. Alerts are still better though, try them ;)
Thanks for bringing the min and max back! Alerts are cool for things like oil pressure, boost, oil temp, and coolant temps on the track, but these values would be set at critical points and thus be out of reach for street use. However for street use one may want to know for example what your max and min iat's, coolant, and oil temps were during the trip compared to ambient temps where an alert would be extremely annoying since it would just keep beeping after it passes a threshold and provide no real info if those values were exceeded by alot. Also how would one know what temps to put in for an alert during the trip? Boost would be ok I suppose, since you can set it to alert if boost was spiking too high.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT

I think you need to learn "quality is what the customer expects". You may be right from an objective pov but that is not how customer satisfaction is achieved.

Things are better or worse the way the customer perceives them. So your customer feedback decides mostly what is good or bad. Having those alarms is fine but seeing the mins/lows during a cruise drive with a short look to the gauges was perfect for many. I think ppl also even suggested to being able to reset min/max with a push on the gauge. This gave you the hint that ppl actually use that feature.

Don´t be apple please. Give us the choice especially when features actually were available already and.

I also like the old gauges during monitoring.

One thing that really bothers me. Why do i need to look at this HUGE logo top Banner and bottom bar with more background color than logo size? I know that i am using MHD :D I would prefer to have more working than advertising display during using MHD while driving. I am using a phone that is not an Ipad Pro 12.9 so on my phone the usable space with the huge top and bottom bars goes to literally to 50%.

The Bottom bar is probably double the height than really needed. And giving some thin vertical white lines to separate the buttons visibly would be awesome. Then i do not need to aim for hitting the logo perfectly.

I would love to get some space back for usability.

Attachments

• IMG_8906.PNG
    IMG_8906.PNG
    561.7 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: iminhell1

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
I think you need to learn "quality is what the customer expects". You may be right from an objective pov but that is not how customer satisfaction is achieved.

Things are better or worse the way the customer perceives them. So your customer feedback decides mostly what is good or bad. Having those alarms is fine but seeing the mins/lows during a cruise drive with a short look to the gauges was perfect for many. I think ppl also even suggested to being able to reset min/max with a push on the gauge. This gave you the hint that ppl actually use that feature.

Don´t be apple please. Give us the choice especially when features actually were available already and.

I also like the old gauges during monitoring.

One thing that really bothers me. Why do i need to look at this HUGE logo top Banner and bottom bar with more background color than logo size? I know that i am using MHD :D I would prefer to have more working than advertising display during using MHD while driving. I am using a phone that is not an Ipad Pro 12.9 so on my phone the usable space with the huge top and bottom bars goes to literally to 50%.

The Bottom bar is probably double the height than really needed. And giving some thin vertical white lines to separate the buttons visibly would be awesome. Then i do not need to aim for hitting the logo perfectly.

I would love to get some space back for usability.
Agreed.

Also with the gauges I personally like the alarm as a new addition, but I also want to retain the min and max from before, and having an option to reset the min and max would be nice too - like how torque pro does it.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
@JohnDaviz @F87Source like I said, the min/max in the bottom corners will be coming back. The top bar is part of the app design and is not going anywhere. The bottom tab bar is just how the native apple tab bar controls functions and since you don't have a hardware "home" button on the newer iOS devices, it must pad up to give space for that white swipe up bar. Nothing we can really do about it unfortunately.

As for single tap min/max reset, this was trialed with users and removed, as it then made switching the gauge param a double tap which is not intuitive and many testers just assumed you couldn't change them on that screen anymore. Best I can do for reset min/max without having to change param/change back, would be a swipe on a gauge face to reset them.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
@jyamona I really like the design. Props to that! I am not all negative over the version 2. Don´t get me wrong. I really like most of the parts.
In square mode it is just that unused area is dominant.

Can you at least mak the bottom buttons in a way that one sees how big each button area is left to right? Like as i said a vertical line, the may be is not white and less flashy. So i could just hit the button during drive without aiming for the bulls eye in a darts game :D

What about double tap to reset the gauge? I guess a swipe up or down (would be great if both be possible.. i guess i would prefer swipe down as it sounds more intuitive to me)
And if testers are unaware of how things work may be the documentation should be improved? I mean on my macbook i can swipe with 2,3 and 4 fingers and most ppl don´t know until they find .. the documentation/handbook :D

curtisgjr

Lurker
Mar 27, 2020
a swipe up or down to reset sounds great! I like the new app when that is added will be much better

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
@jyamona I really like the design. Props to that! I am not all negative over the version 2. Don´t get me wrong. I really like most of the parts.
In square mode it is just that unused area is dominant.

Can you at least mak the bottom buttons in a way that one sees how big each button area is left to right? Like as i said a vertical line, the may be is not white and less flashy. So i could just hit the button during drive without aiming for the bulls eye in a darts game :D

What about double tap to reset the gauge? I guess a swipe up or down (would be great if both be possible.. i guess i would prefer swipe down as it sounds more intuitive to me)
And if testers are unaware of how things work may be the documentation should be improved? I mean on my macbook i can swipe with 2,3 and 4 fingers and most ppl don´t know until they find .. the documentation/handbook :D

I will check and see if there is a way to add in vertical dividers...but if you don't see them in a future update it means Apple doesn't want them there haha.

I can set the swipe to trigger the min/max reset in all directions, so you would not have to be very precise.

Reactions: JohnDaviz

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
I can set the swipe to trigger the min/max reset in all directions, so you would not have to be very precise.

Haha i already see ppl on bumpy roads trying to wildy reset a gauge...

But may be there will be use of left/right swipe for future use on the gauges? Swipe through design of gauge or something.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Not possible without a ton of platform specific coding. I am not trying to waste a ton of time on this as there are more important things to finish ;)

So best I can do for now is:
Tap - this will continue to bring up the parameter change popup
Swipe Up/Down - this will reset the overall min/max that are being added back to the lower corners

If / when alternate gauge styles are added in, they could either be changed in the popup window like before, or swipe left/right on gauge face

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
Not possible without a ton of platform specific coding. I am not trying to waste a ton of time on this as there are more important things to finish ;)

So best I can do for now is:
Tap - this will continue to bring up the parameter change popup
Swipe Up/Down - this will reset the overall min/max that are being added back to the lower corners

If / when alternate gauge styles are added in, they could either be changed in the popup window like before, or swipe left/right on gauge face
Sounds good to me!

MHD FTW! Glad to have you on full time now, MHD is getting even better because of it!

• Agree
Reactions: TiAgAu and typedRew

Bigdaddyaaron

Corporal
Nov 5, 2016
USA
Unrelated to fixes - is it possible for launch control to be toggle-able in real time? In the "live" section I guess?

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Unrelated to fixes - is it possible for launch control to be toggle-able in real time? In the "live" section I guess?

+1 to this. I'd also like a "combo" of buttons to push or brake interaction to start it real time later in the future too. A way to toggle it on the street if you don't have the phone out.

Willing to pay for dash/hardware toggles for sure.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
One thing i guess people in germany would really appreciate is to have standing burble being set active/inactive seperately.

When the police controls our cars and make noise measurements this can become an issue and we have to deactivate burble completely therefore as a safety measure.

Last edited: