E9X M Drive retrofit on e9x 335i/s

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I can understand that in a conventionally wired car but the whole point of a CAN network is to simplify wiring like this and also to make vehicle feature sets easily configurable.

Surely the electrical contact goes to a module and the coding of the module dictates what can message is produced. As an example when we changed the coding in the CIC that button function changed. What im alluding to is the fact that simply coding the module may give the same result.

I think the reason that BMW specifies a different model in some cases is because they wont accept the risk of boot sector flashing of microprocessors for retrofitting. Some modules are different electrically for sure. Im not sure about these though.

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
I can understand that in a conventionally wired car but the whole point of a CAN network is to simplify wiring like this and also to make vehicle feature sets easily configurable.

Surely the electrical contact goes to a module and the coding of the module dictates what can message is produced. As an example when we changed the coding in the CIC that button function changed. What im alluding to is the fact that simply coding the module may give the same result.

I think the reason that BMW specifies a different model in some cases is because they wont accept the risk of boot sector flashing of microprocessors for retrofitting. Some modules are different electrically for sure. Im not sure about these though.
I don't know what to tell you. All I know is that on a non MDrive early M3 a $2MDA compatible clock spring is required with two versions available depending on whether or not you have a rain sensor. This, and VO editing and coding. At the moment my entertainment source button does nothing. The SZL operates as a subfunction of the DSC so I hoping with both being replaced with M units that everything falls into place. What are the chances of that happening though LOL.

Reactions: boostE92d

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
The stalk has a following distance adjustment...

Oh, that is the lower portion. So you have the dial on the top and bottom stalks, I get it. But remember, that stalk bit is separate from the clock spring. They just attach to eachother. Can you have active cruise and an electronic wheel/heated wheel?

I don't know what to tell you. All I know is that on a non MDrive early M3 a $2MDA compatible clock spring is required with two versions available depending on whether or not you have a rain sensor. This, and VO editing and coding. At the moment my entertainment source button does nothing. The SZL operates as a subfunction of the DSC so I hoping with both being replaced with M units that everything falls into place. What are the chances of that happening though LOL.

You'll have to do more than that probably, a pin rewire is going to be needed most likely. As an example, here is my plug once it had been rewired for the performance wheel. The white 12 pin connector has four wires in it that are completely obsoleted for my current configuration. Perhaps they could be used for the M Drive stuff, active steering, I'm not sure, but the connector just hangs there. I don't even know if my car has the rain sensor to be honest. That white connector hanging the lowest with three wires I think is the heated steering wheel button plug, if I recall it goes to a ground and then to some canbus wires or the CIC, but I forget.

dzMhdHw.png

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
You'll have to do more than that probably, a pin rewire is going to be needed most likely. As an example, here is my plug once it had been rewired for the performance wheel. The white 12 pin connector has four wires in it that are completely obsoleted for my current configuration. Perhaps they could be used for the M Drive stuff, active steering, I'm not sure, but the connector just hangs there. I don't even know if my car has the rain sensor to be honest. That white connector hanging the lowest with three wires I think is the heated steering wheel button plug, if I recall it goes to a ground and then to some canbus wires or the CIC, but I forget.

dzMhdHw.png

I'm sure it won't be that easy. I need to get my coding laptop out and look the schematics up in ISTA.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Apart from the analyser module the SZL is a fairly straightforward piece of hardware and doesn't appear to have much in the way of microprocessing ability. I don't think it does anything specifically for M drive other than output the correct CAN messages

for information and discussion from here
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...l-info/body/operation/steering-column/XBTUUqK

Brief component description

The SZL (steering column switch cluster) consists of the following components:
  • Analyser module: The evaluation electronics analyse the signals from the components and send them as CAN messages on the F-CAN. The evaluation electronics is installed on a printed circuit board.
  • Steering angle sensor: The steering angle sensor uses an encoded disc to optically sense the amount of lock applied to the steering wheel. The data is read in and calculated by the evaluation electronics. The data is sent directly to the DSC control unit.
  • Steering column switch: the positions of all steering column stalk switches are determined optically. Button presses and turning/pressing of the thumbwheels are sensed via switch mats.
  • Coil spring cassette: The coil spring cassette has the task of transferring electrical signals to or from the steering wheel.
The SZL (steering column switch cluster) has no fault memory of its own. All the fault data of the SZL is stored in the DSC control unit.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
So, which one is the analyzer module?

I found these photos on bimmerforums, apparently the stalks are modular, so technically perhaps you could just swap your active cruise stalk over and maybe it would work.

67K62fP.jpg

H7sx5pp.jpg

fMBoZrj.jpg

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Brief description of components
The steering column switch cluster (SZL) is connected to the vehicle wiring harness via 2 plug connectors.
[more]
The steering column switch cluster consists of the following components:
  • Evaluation electronics
    The evaluation electronics analyse the signals from the components and send them as CAN messages on the F-CAN.
    The evaluation electronics include the following components:
    • Microprocessor
    • Power supply
    • F-CAN connection
    • Interfaces for optical and electrical input signals

I wonder if the M Drive button is considered part of this:​
  • Multifunction buttons (signal from steering wheel)
Signal path:
Multifunction buttons -> SZL -> F-CAN -> Junction box electronics (signal simply looped through) -> F-CAN -> DSC control unit (serves as gateway) ->
PT-CAN -> Junction box electronics (serves as gateway) -> K-CAN -> Audio system
(check switch positions with BMW diagnostic system using DSC)

I guess the question, is the M3 analyzer different than the others. I guess a little trial and error is going to be needed.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
M drive is basically a set of presets for the various settings in an M3. You can adjust drivelogic(shift severity)
servotronic (steering weight)
Power(throttle sensitivity) and
EDC(suspension firmness). A

ll of these are controlled independently but once you have your favourite settings you can program the M button to call them all up simultaneously.

In order to set M dynamic mode you need to be able to set what parameters the button will call up in the CIC.
For the purposes of analysis we need someone with working drive logic or servotronic to code M drive and the CIC menu and then set Drivelogic to s5 for example, select the drive logic menu and set it to D1 and then press the M button. If the drive logic indicator in the KOMBI module changes its working. or not. Where is the servotronic setting indicated and or changed from ?

Last edited:

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
M drive is basically a set of presets for the various settings in an M3. You can adjust drivelogic(shift severity)
servotronic (steering weight)
Power(throttle sensitivity) and
EDC(suspension firmness). A

ll of these are controlled independently but once you have your favourite settings you can program the M button to call them all up simultaneously.

In order to set M dynamic mode you need to be able to set what parameters the button will call up in the CIC.
For the purposes of analysis we need someone with working drive logic or servotronic to code M drive and the CIC menu and then set Drivelogic to s5 for example, select the drive logic menu and set it to D1 and then press the M button. If the drive logic indicator in the KOMBI module changes its working. or not. Where is the servotronic setting indicated and or changed from ?
This is exactly what the MDrive button does. It's a preset for all your favorite M car settings. I have servotronic in my M menu on the CIC, is that what you mean?

boostE92d

Corporal
Jan 9, 2018
Houston TX
Ride
12 335is
My theory is that m drive is a function of the DSC and JB but I must be wrong. The m3 boys would have tried to retro mDrive without a clock spring in the past.... surely ?

I suppose we’re going to find out when @LMB335is does his conversion.

The suspense is killing me. I've been modding this platform for years, this is definitely a fun time.

• Agree
Reactions: doublespaces

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
So Brintech in Australia have completed a retrofit into a 335i( they also fitted a DCT) They used all of the above modules SZL, KOMBI, DSC to get it to work and they didn’t have time to do one module at a time.
This helps because now we KNOW its possible. Also the brintech car also got active cruise control as well. Im back in the game !

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
One thing that needs to be sorted is that on a 335i the sport button controls the throttle mapping in the DME and that signal goes from the button to the gearbox TCU and then via CAN to the DME. We need to change the DME coding to take the power button signal on the m3 console to the JB just like an m3 and sniff the CAN packets to see which ones come out and enable one of those in the DME. It would be great to have comfort, sport and sport plus available. The only people here that would be able to help with that are DCT owners doing the M3 GWS swap and @jyamona. ;) Your thoughts Jake?

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to sit this out until its possible to command the TCU properly using a 2.56 diff. This does interest me however, so I'll keep my eye on this thread and try to help :)

Reactions: aus335iguy

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to sit this out until its possible to command the TCU properly using a 2.56 diff. This does interest me however, so I'll keep my eye on this thread and try to help :)
I’m in the same boat. May end up doing it with a shorter diff like LMB335IS but need to match my ambition with my budget first. In the meantime convincing Brintech to join the forum.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I’m in the same boat. May end up doing it with a shorter diff like LMB335IS but need to match my ambition with my budget first. In the meantime convincing Brintech to join the forum.

I had an M3 rear end lined up, it was even cheaper, but I decided to go ahead with my 2.56 LSD due to the gearing. The 3.15 will require too much shifting, too many chances to get timing retard, and you're going to sound like a fighter jet on the freeway.

Okay maybe not that bad but these gears were designed to shift a lot for the V8 powerband. You'll cross the 1/4 beams in 6th gear:
upload_2018-3-19_14-1-28.png

And this is with the 2.56:
4DQPNMc.png

Last edited:

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Okay, now I'm just catching up on the posts from the private section and the developments there. Obviously I have been slacking, so this really puts me in a predicament in terms of what I'm going to do here. Too bad its nearly impossible to source a 2.65 differential for the 210 case, that would be perfect IMO:

TkX76ED.png

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I had my eye on a cheap DSC in the states and it’s gone.. if it was you best of luck. Please document as much as you can mate I reckon it’s going to be awesome. Did you get the m3 gws?

This was likely me that grabbed that hahah.