Help me pick out inlets

Silent11

Corporal
Oct 31, 2018
Ride
2007 Bmw 335i
im about to do an oil pan gasket and thought it might be worth installing inlets while most of the stuff is out the way.

i just wanted to get some more info on different brands and sizes of inlets , benefits of relocated inlets ( what needs to be relocated ) etc.

Also are there any other things i should address while subframe is down ?

im running stock turbos with downpipes, 5 inch fmic and dci

thanks

2007 E92 335i / VRSF 5" FMIC - Downpipes - Charge Pipe - DCI / TurboSmart Plumb Back DV / XHP Stage 3 / E40 Custom Tune by Wedge / APEX ARC8 / Michelin PS4S / 11.95 @ 116 / Instagram.com/silent11n54

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I have, and have no issues with the MMP hotside aluminum inlets. I prefer the aluminum to the fully silicone ones. The benefits of relocated inlets are well defined. You will need to move the coolant reservoir to the driver side, and all parts are included in the kit. The only downside is mine sits a tad high and put a small dent in my new LCI hood, so be mindful of where it sits :(.

I would look at replacing motor mounts while you have the subframe out - depending on mileage, they could be shot.

Silent11

Corporal
Oct 31, 2018
Ride
2007 Bmw 335i
I have, and have no issues with the MMP hotside aluminum inlets. I prefer the aluminum to the fully silicone ones. The benefits of relocated inlets are well defined. You will need to move the coolant reservoir to the driver side, and all parts are included in the kit. The only downside is mine sits a tad high and put a small dent in my new LCI hood, so be mindful of where it sits :(.

I would look at replacing motor mounts while you have the subframe out - depending on mileage, they could be shot.

thanks for the info... i did replace both mounts recently when i did the downpipes.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Might as well install them while you are in there.

I agree check ground strap and think about the water pump.

BTW I have a set of RB stock frame size stock locations inlets for sale. I've held most of the inlets on the market and they are the highest quality I have seen. $50 of retail as they have 500 miles on them if that.

Reactions: Silent11

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Seconding the MMP aluminum relocated inlets. Install is more work due to relocation of other things, but I prefer to have more metal than rubber in my engine bay personally.

If you're just looking for an easy install and not spending as much time/money, silicone stock location will still likely do the trick for you. If you wanna squeeze out any extra HP you can, relocated is the way to go. I prefer the aluminum to the silicone because you don't have to worry about heat causing damage (which is less likely on inlets anyway tbf) but they also have a more pronounced induction noise which is an added "cool factor" imo.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
FWIW I had a shop install my MMP outlets and they popped off the rear turbo twice. My guess is the shop just sucked at attaching them correctly. I don't blame mmp as it's just a silicon elbow.

I still have them if someone want them for cheap. Only thing missing would be the relocation kit afaik. They probably have 500 miles on them. Filters look like new. Only reason I never listed them for sale was I figured I would someday use the tubes/silicone for something. Now I am thinking that is unlikely.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
FWIW I had a shop install my MMP outlets and they popped off the rear turbo twice. My guess is the shop just sucked at attaching them correctly. I don't blame mmp as it's just a silicon elbow.

I still have them if someone want them for cheap. Only thing missing would be the relocation kit afaik. They probably have 500 miles on them. Filters look like new. Only reason I never listed them for sale was I figured I would someday use the tubes/silicone for something. Now I am thinking that is unlikely.

I'd go so far as to say they never actually put the rear inlet on fully and just said to hell with it. That rear inlet is a GIANT pain in the ass. I'd honestly rather install turbos (if I didn't have to do the rear inlet) than JUST the rear inlet. It's that bad.

Reactions: Panzerfaust

tisdrew

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
09 335i 6MT

My coolant reservoir also sat high and I have a dent in my LCI hood as well.

When I went from "fbo e60" to adding relocated inlets, my OE clutch immediately began slipping in 4th at any rpm. The power gains are very significant. Custom tune and methanol, people have hit 500+whp on stock turbos with upgraded inlets/outlets for some dyno glory runs.

Reactions: Panzerfaust

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
Lots of good options. I'l throw our hat in the mix: http://www.burgertuning.com/N54_bmw_silicon_inlets.html

silicon_inlets_N54_BMW_turbo.jpg

iminhell1

Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018
I'm on Rob's EVO inlets. Hot side inlets. I like them, perfect fit and durable. Have 30,000++ miles on them at least.

I also went straight to the 335D tank,,, but that requires one of the 3 (CP-e, VRSF, TFT) charge pipes that fit with that tank.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I'm not sure there are significant distinctions on the inlet side - I don't believe I've seen much said about them (people seem to buy them from x,y,z and they work). Now when we got to outlet .........

Filippo