Issue with sudden Timing drop - log included

Silent11

Corporal
Oct 31, 2018
Ride
2007 Bmw 335i
Im having this issue where timing drops for a second and then comes back. Any clues to what would cause this ?

2007 E92 335i / VRSF 7.5 Race FMIC-Charge Pipe-DCI-Inlets/ TurboSmart Plumb Back DV / XHP / E50 Custom Tune by WedgePerformance / APEX ARC8 / MT ET Street / 11.4 @ 120 / Instagram @silent11n54

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Well if you don't turn down the timing you're definitely gonna kill something lmao

MBT is like 13* on E50 or thereabouts 18* is waaaaaaayyyy too much timing

I SWEAR I read a post from a few years ago where V8Bait said MBT was somewhere in the 18* range.

he is using E100 fuel and has R8 coils so i think that is helping with timing too.

If MBT were 13, then even if he had the octane to run 18, it wouldn't make any more power, it would just be beating up the bearings for no reason.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
I SWEAR I read a post from a few years ago where V8Bait said MBT was somewhere in the 18* range.

If MBT were 13, then even if he had the octane to run 18, it wouldn't make any more power, it would just be beating up the bearings for no reason.

Stock motor n54 dyno verified MBT at 12-13* on E50, from my experience.

Higher E content actually takes less timing advance due to flame speed etc. The ignition interpolation curve is not linear

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
That motor will not hold for long no matter what, running that tune.

Its only a matter of when, if those turbos don't explode first in a spectacular balls of fire destroying the car..

There is a huge difference of running a record and destroying the car, but its his car he car do what he wants.

Lots of people already tried this and its a waste of money and nobody cares

Reactions: veer90

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Please dont take my post as an attack its just been tried so many times and nobody really cares, he is really wasting his money.

If he is going for some bragging rights he will be remembered for as long as I'm drinking my coffee for most.

He is better using his money rebuilding his motor before it blows up as it wont cost him as much when it does.

I've got a customer that wants to push his motor like your mate does, I basically refused to do it because in good conscience
I could not allow him to possibly hurt himself/others or destroy his car.

There is more to being a good mechanic than the one that just takes your money and does what you want.

Reactions: Silent11

Silent11

Corporal
Oct 31, 2018
Ride
2007 Bmw 335i
Please dont take my post as an attack its just been tried so many times and nobody really cares, he is really wasting his money.

If he is going for some bragging rights he will be remembered for as long as I'm drinking my coffee for most.

He is better using his money rebuilding his motor before it blows up as it wont cost him as much when it does.

I've got a customer that wants to push his motor like your mate does, I basically refused to do it because in good conscience
I could not allow him to possibly hurt himself/others or destroy his car.

There is more to being a good mechanic than the one that just takes your money and does what you want.
im just soaking all the info i dont feel any hate coming from you guys. I appreciate the responses.