AK135i

Corporal
Dec 13, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Ride
2010 135i
Good morning SpoolStreet members.

Granted beating a dead horse isn't the best way to approach this, but i've been very busy these past few weeks since the EMP tune fiasco, and would like to share my story and how it was righted, but no thanks to EMP

I have been running an emp bef on my ST n54 135i set up (6266, on3 mani) for a couple months now, I was part of a group buy back last summer and purchased 2 tunes for $350(meth/pump tunes), and according to AJ my logs looked good, but I knew that multiple timing corrections weren't stellar when its consistent. A friend of mine had sent over some of my best logs to review by Ken @WedgePerformance. Before this all commenced, I saw that AJ was re-tuning his previous tuned cars for free, and doing an actual flash rather then a bms bef. After sending over a recent log and asking for him to redo mine, he politely said that there wasn't much to gain and it was good as is. For those that do not know me, I live in Alaska and we ONLY have 90 octane at the pumps, no e85, race gas is $15 a gallon and not easy to find. So having a safe pump gas tune was very important to me as i would be using octane boosters (torco, boostane) and bumping up the boost a little for racing from what I daily it on at 16psi.

So this is where Ken came in and really opened my eyes on just how unsafe the tune was, and how much more power i was leaving on the table, even on just pump gas. I only had 1 revision from aj and it was done, other than the revisions where I had him coding out my post cat 02's ( my choice). Not only was Ken going out of his way to right the wrongs, we worked through 5 revisions and dialed in my tune perfectly, even receiving emailed revisions at midnight on a Sunday from him. Comparing the final wedge bef to the emp bef on a virtual dyno, there was a 40hp/20tq gap between wedge and emp, all while still staying more conservative.

As you'd expect all i had before hand was a free bms file, but with the timing targeting 7 degrees and a little leaner then i'd want on 90 octane, you'd think you would dial it back considering the low octane, and yes i made him aware of the fact im on 90 oct.

Ken completely remade flash free of charge, ( still donated a little money anyways) and the car ran tremendously better, boosted exactly on target and was hitting low 11's afr on wot, and targeting a more linear timing scale, much better imo. Ive attached my best logs from both bef maps, conditions were near identical with no changes in hardware at all.

EMP BEF

https://datazap.me/u/ak135i/log-1513591092?log=0&data=1-4-11-18-25-26-27-28-29

Wedge BEF

https://datazap.me/u/ak135i/wedge-v5-jb4-bef-90-oct?log=0&data=1-4-11-18-25-26-27-28-29

Proof is in the pudding, but what is your general consensus on these logs? timing target are almost the same but no drops on the Wedge tune.
AJ was always very courteous and nice to me and answered my messages 24/7, good customer service is nothing with out any actual work going into the money I spent.
Last week I was run off the road in a snow storm and my 135i is totaled now, I barley got to enjoy my car with the new tune.

Last edited:

colo_evo

Corporal
Jun 6, 2017
Ride
E90 335i MT
Thanks for sharing your experience.

What changes were made to knock sensors in the new tune? When comparing timing drops you also need to take into account KR sensitivity.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

What changes were made to knock sensors in the new tune? When comparing timing drops you also need to take into account KR sensitivity.

Knock tables are all stock.

The map provided was a complete remap, not just a modified BMS BEF. I have been working with Terry to ensure I'm not overlooking anything within the JB4 logs as it has been over 3 years since I walked away from making BEF maps for JB4 due to my involvement with making the MHD N54 maps and my limited resource time.

Due to the fact that I haven't done any R&D with JB4 mapping for years, I didn't charge for the mapping as it was very beta in my opinion. I also don't think a JB4 BEF custom tuning should demand the same price as a custom flash tune as there is no boost management which normally takes the most time on a custom flash map.

I'm not sure how quick I will have maps available or how I will handle custom tuning for JB4 customers from a pricing perspective at this time, but feel free to contact me to review your needs if you're interested. [email protected]

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Knock tables are all stock.

The map provided was a complete remap, not just a modified BMS BEF. I have been working with Terry to ensure I'm not overlooking anything within the JB4 logs as it has been over 3 years since I walked away from making BEF maps for JB4 due to my involvement with making the MHD N54 maps and my limited resource time.

Due to the fact that I haven't done any R&D with JB4 mapping for years, I didn't charge for the mapping as it was very beta in my opinion. I also don't think a JB4 BEF custom tuning should demand the same price as a custom flash tune as there is no boost management which normally takes the most time on a custom flash map.

I'm not sure how quick I will have maps available or how I will handle custom tuning for JB4 customers from a pricing perspective at this time, but feel free to contact me to review your needs if you're interested. [email protected]

I usually do like $50 less for BEF. In my head the way that works is it's like $150 less because I don't have to deal with boost control, with a $100 surcharge for having to deal with jb4 logs and phantom jb4 settings nobody can ever keep track of. So a bit less overall lol.

Reactions: Jake@MHD

rooringhusky

Lurker
Nov 8, 2016
Orange County, CA
I usually do like $50 less for BEF. In my head the way that works is it's like $150 less because I don't have to deal with boost control, with a $100 surcharge for having to deal with jb4 logs and phantom jb4 settings nobody can ever keep track of. So a bit less overall lol.

At least someone understands these struggles. I've lost so much hair keeping track of these things...