Dual mode exhaust on a switch

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
So what I'm looking for is a custom exhaust that will connect to my AD-E ST kit and run all the way back, fully divorced with each side going into a Y pipe splitting off into two pipes. One pipe is straight through, with an electronic cutout. The other pipe goes to a bullet style or any muffler which fits the given space, and then merges back into the straight through pipe and returns to a single exit. Same thing on both sides. Basically this but merging back into a single pipe:

download.jpg

Bumbleb

Private
Nov 3, 2016
Florida
Very interesting design idea. I thought about going single and then doing a single 3.5 inch to single exit on a 328i bumper.

Reactions: b1mmr

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Also, I think I'm going to have a 'modular' midpipe area which has vbands so I can attach different things. Some days I may just want a test pipe. Some days, I may want mid cats, or resonators or even an X pipe. With v bands, I could just swap it out and tune my exhaust how I wanted it to sound or smell.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
And here is a dual mode E63 powered by homelink... I want pretty much this, but a wastegate or flapper instead of an electric cutout.

Reactions: b1mmr

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Well, good news, is QTP quoted me 209 per muffler without the cutout. So at least it can be made. The problem, is that they wouldn't have them available this way until after the first of the year, and my turbo kit comes with a single 3.5" downpipe so I'll be stuck...

Sered

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Melbourne, FL
You'd be surprised at how quiet a straight-pipe can be with the right diameter on a single turbo. It's not nearly as loud as the stock turbos would be.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
You'd be surprised at how quiet a straight-pipe can be with the right diameter on a single turbo. It's not nearly as loud as the stock turbos would be.
Crazy! What diameter is that? 1/2" lol

So what I'm looking for is a custom exhaust that will connect to my AD-E ST kit and run all the way back, fully divorced with each side going into a Y pipe splitting off into two pipes. One pipe is straight through, with an electronic cutout. The other pipe goes to a bullet style or any muffler which fits the given space, and then merges back into the straight through pipe and returns to a single exit. Same thing on both sides. Basically this but merging back into a single pipe:

View attachment 316

Exhaust note tuning is such a pain in the ass. Those bullet mufflers won't do shit. I have 2 in each pipe and it's barely quiet enough to not be obnoxious.

Those cut outs look fun. Oh race night, one sec, Beep boop, straight pipes. You kind of have to decide, building exhaust for max performance or best audible note, otherwise you get unsatisfied with both.

The best designed exhaust I've seen on an N54 is Eric's
Whoever drew that up before fab knew what they were doing.

Reactions: doublespaces

Sered

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Melbourne, FL

4" actually. I've got the largest and best flowing exhaust of any N5X that I know of. And it's not even above 50 percentile in the loudness department (except at WOT with the external gates open dump).

It's the single turbo and 1.0A/R exhaust side doing that.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i

Exhaust note tuning is such a pain in the ass. Those bullet mufflers won't do shit. I have 2 in each pipe and it's barely quiet enough to not be obnoxious.

Those cut outs look fun. Oh race night, one sec, Beep boop, straight pipes. You kind of have to decide, building exhaust for max performance or best audible note, otherwise you get unsatisfied with both.

The best designed exhaust I've seen on an N54 is Eric's
Whoever drew that up before fab knew what they were doing.

I am leaning toward exhaust note. I can turn the boost up and am not trying to set records. Got a pic of Eric's exhaust?

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
@Sered you must have 4" exhaust wall pipes too lol. That big of a straight back should resonate something fierce but...variables.

@dubb I don't. The fab design had helmholtz type pipe strategy. #mathishard

@Erichale77 post exhaust fab pics

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Make sure the fabricator modifies your center H support bar to fit back on. UR racing out of Japan makes an E92 H bar that is a lot beefier if the OEM one doesn't fit. Don't leave that off as you want to add to chassis stiffness when trying to put that much power down.

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
Oh i already have a very nice one made that also serves as driveshaft loop. It covers my 4" exhaust too. Ill find a pic of it.