Discussion about issues encountered whilst converting to M3 Flash and GWS

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
Anything different on shifting now that you have the M3 DSC functioning? My DCT is complaining about missing communications from DSC for acceleration data.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Anything different on shifting now that you have the M3 DSC functioning? My DCT is complaining about missing communications from DSC for acceleration data.

No.

However, I did a full reset of all adaptations and DME variants. This caused all the shifts to go to shit. Even 1-2 shift. However after about 20mi the 1-2 shift became pretty good. I'm thinking there is some learning/adaptations that need to occur. I'll drive it for a while to see how it shakes out.

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
M3 SZL

The cruise control stalk is evidentally sending different signals in the M3 version vs the 335i version. I think the real question is can you use an M3 SZL *without* the M3 DSC.

I'm able to get launch control with GSW and Kombi. I played around with 2500 rpm launches just to test it while not attracting attention. It was pretty nice. Maybe the 135i has a newer or different SZL?

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
No.

However, I did a full reset of all adaptations and DME variants. This caused all the shifts to go to shit. Even 1-2 shift. However after about 20mi the 1-2 shift became pretty good. I'm thinking there is some learning/adaptations that need to occur. I'll drive it for a while to see how it shakes out.

Yeah, I should have learned from your experience. Same crappy result. 150 miles in and even WOT aren't that great except 1-2 shifts. Putting another 150 miles on tonight hoping something gets better. Also, reverse seems really light on clutch after adaptation reset.. Revs to 1500 rpm before starting to release the clutch and move.

Public Service Announcement: Don't reset adaptations on the DCT.

@RSL is helping by modifying a stock image to see if we can keep the limiters from getting hit at part throttle shifting. First test felt and looked decent. I'll use that image while letting adaptations set.

Reactions: aus335iguy

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I'm able to get launch control with GSW and Kombi. I played around with 2500 rpm launches just to test it while not attracting attention. It was pretty nice. Maybe the 135i has a newer or different SZL?

You can get adjustable launch control? Or just a set RPM?

I had no problems activating launch control with the 335is SZL, but I couldn't adjust the RPM. Now with the M3 SZL I can adjust the RPM.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009

I had no problems activating launch control with the 335is SZL, but I couldn't adjust the RPM. Now with the M3 SZL I can adjust the RPM.
Adjustable launch worked once with the 335i szl I thought .. or did i miss read that ?

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Will be a bit of a slow-going process. N54's are second nature for me, but N55s are a noticeably different can of worms. The N55 XDF is light on definitions by comparison, but we'll work with what we've got.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Will be a bit of a slow-going process. N54's are second nature for me, but N55s are a noticeably different can of worms. The N55 XDF is light on definitions by comparison, but we'll work with what we've got.
If you need a hand yell out. I’m sure @jyamona might know something bout it

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
Adjustable. How the heck do you record while holding the stick forward and adjusting the cruise stalk? I needed three hands so no video.

Also, I thought I read that down and up on the stalk adjust 500 rpm at a time. I was messing with 100 increments like you did.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Adjustable. How the heck do you record while holding the stick forward and adjusting the cruise stalk? I needed three hands so no video.

Also, I thought I read that down and up on the stalk adjust 500 rpm at a time. I was messing with 100 increments like you did.

That's awesome! I guess that means for a 335i they can use the SZL without the DSC to get this.

Suction cup camera mount on the window got the vid ;)

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
If you need a hand yell out. I’m sure @jyamona might know something bout it
Anyone with N55 tuning experience can certainly lend a hand. I'm green on N55 and digesting as much as I can as quickly as I can. If anyone want to collaborate, we can move to a new thread or add to conversation so as not to gunk this one up and just post any changes with positive results in here for reference.

Primarily, we just started with a stock 98G0B rom and are working around torque limiters, but N55 XDF leaves a lot to be desired for torque limit tables compared to N54 XDF. @jyamona, any unpublished N55 XDF updates? If anyone can shed light on increasing torque limits without raising load, we're all ears (eyes).

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Anyone with N55 tuning experience can certainly lend a hand. I'm green on N55 and digesting as much as I can as quickly as I can. If anyone want to collaborate, we can move to a new thread or add to conversation so as not to gunk this one up and just post any changes with positive results in here for reference.

Primarily, we just started with a stock 98G0B rom and are working around torque limiters, but N55 XDF leaves a lot to be desired for torque limit tables compared to N54 XDF. @jyamona, any unpublished N55 XDF updates? If anyone can shed light on increasing torque limits without raising load, we're all ears (eyes).
@Sbrach is really knowledgeable. But not sure on his availability. He is working on mafless for n55 right now.

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
Anyone know if the DSC unit is different for DCT vs Manual? I'm looking to pick one up for the more lax intervention.. Although hard wiring seems annoying.

Sbrach

Corporal
Oct 2, 2017
Ride
N55 DCT E82
@RSL the public XDF has torque request ceiling tables for each trans type and 2 modeled torque limit tables

KL_MDKMX_ATL_DKG
KL_MDKMX_ATL_AT
KL_MDKMX_ATL_HS
KF_MDKMAX_GANG_MOD1
KF_MDKMAX_GANG_MOD2

Are you still hitting a tq limiter after increasing these tables?

Reactions: RSL