N54 DCT w/M3 Conversion

mspwerk

Private
Sep 9, 2022
Just wanted to add some details to the build/ problem on my swap...

My car... E92 335i - 07/2009 - MT - Stock DME/ Software

- DCT (Z4 35i)
- DSC + Acceleration Sensor (M3 LCI)
- GWS (M3)
- Drivelogic (M3)
- E92 LCI DKG Driveshaft + Diff (2:56)
- M3 GTS DCT Software (incl. ration adjustment 2:56)
- Motorsport MME Paddles (adjusted to M3 DCT system)
- Custom DCT wiring (Attach File)

Maybe the information will help someone to help me out...

Best regards from germany
Wolfgang

Attachments

• 335i_M3_dct_wiring.xlsx
    20.4 KB · Views: 30

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Any error codes? Does D work normally? Are you sure everything needed was coded properly?

Assuming the physical swap, modules and wiring are good, there's not a lot to get it working: M GWS and MDCT flash, with everything else properly coded.

What exactly is "adjusted" to DCT on the paddles? Paddles can be problematic, wondering if they're maybe causing a signal conflict with GWS for the trans. Have you considered disconnecting them to check if shifter then works for manual?

Have you flashed an untouched M3 DCT bin to see if something in the modified bin is a problem?

mspwerk

Private
Sep 9, 2022
Any error codes? Does D work normally? Are you sure everything needed was coded properly?

Assuming the physical swap, modules and wiring are good, there's not a lot to get it working: M GWS and MDCT flash, with everything else properly coded.

What exactly is "adjusted" to DCT on the paddles? Paddles can be problematic, wondering if they're maybe causing a signal conflict with GWS for the trans. Have you considered disconnecting them to check if shifter then works for manual?

Have you flashed an untouched M3 DCT bin to see if something in the modified bin is a problem?

Hi,

first... Big thanks for answering!

1. There is just one fault that comes sometimes in the gws/ dct (attached image)...
This fault shouldn't have any relation to the shifting problem.
The shifiting is not working even if the fault doesn't excist.
All other ecus are fault free.... (DME, DSC, DCT, ...)

2. About the coding I can't say a lot. A friend of mine who did this has done those kind of swap a few times.
But not with that special combination (335i - M3 GTS DCT - 2:56 Diff)
Usualy he knows what he is doing. I think he is one of the most known coding guys in germany. Especially for M-Cars.
We did all the coding over Teamviewer.

Maybe someone of you guys is able to take a look inside the coding?

3. The paddles do work fine. These are motorsport magnet paddles adapted to the M3 Paddles.
When you watch the youtube video you see me shifting with the paddles.
Checked also the signal in INPA.
The resistance for the Paddles are...

Paddple (-) I Paddple (+) I resistance
1 1 0,27kOhm
1 0 0,33kOhm
0 1 1kOhm
0 0 3,17kOhm

But as I said and you see in the Video... Paddles and GWS are working as I start the car for the first time (with killswitch).
As soon as I start driving few meters the manual shifting does not work.
When i disconnect the paddles I do have the same problem. An extra fault comes because of the disconnected paddles.
So there is no difference.

4. I'm sorry but can't say something to the coding because I don't have the know-how. I wish I could understand the coding my friend did.
He also don't understand the problem and we don't know where to search.
I wish someone would be able to take a look inside all the coding!?

Best regards
Wolfgang

Attachments

• GWS_DCT_fault.jpg
    GWS_DCT_fault.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 30
  • E92M3_motorsport_paddles.jpg
    E92M3_motorsport_paddles.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 29

mspwerk

Private
Sep 9, 2022
Could it b the the ratio? 2.56 is not good with GTS flash. Just an idea
My friend told me that he adapted the ratio to the software.

I think there should be some faults in the ecu if it's a problem. Also the DSC should have problems if it would be not adapted.
Driving in ''D'' is working fine...

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
If the only difference between manual shifting working and not working is whether the car is stopped or moving, I was going to say start looking at sensors/signals, but may be something with no torque/torque.

That's a comm error for GWS2, which I *think* are paddles and GWS1 is shifter. I might have them backwards. Either way, there's obviously a problem with either paddles or GWS comms, which directly relates to manual shifting, so I'd start there.

mspwerk

Private
Sep 9, 2022
If the only difference between manual shifting working and not working is whether the car is stopped or moving, I was going to say start looking at sensors/signals, but may be something with no torque/torque.

That's a comm error for GWS2, which I *think* are paddles and GWS1 is shifter. I might have them backwards. Either way, there's obviously a problem with either paddles or GWS comms, which directly relates to manual shifting, so I'd start there.

What do you mean with... "...but may be something with no torque/torque."?

I think i will try to get a new/ used GWS...

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Torque values would be minimal when parked, not so when driving.

I think I did have them backwards. It appears GWS1 is SZL_LWS (steering wheel) and GWS2 is GWS.

Do you have ISTA?

mspwerk

Private
Sep 9, 2022
Torque values would be minimal when parked, not so when driving.

I think I did have them backwards. It appears GWS1 is SZL_LWS (steering wheel) and GWS2 is GWS.

Do you have ISTA?
Yes sure. I do have all the programm to read and coding...

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
It doesn't show any issues on modules? What about after a drive trying to enter manual?

Do you have any way to log CAN messages?

mspwerk

Private
Sep 9, 2022
It doesn't show any issues on modules? What about after a drive trying to enter manual?

Do you have any way to log CAN messages?

As soon as I start driving/ moving the car after I turn it on (over a killswitch) it doesn't want to shift on manual.
To get the paddles and gws work again i have to turn off the car and reset with the killswitch (cartek).

Than it's possible to shift. But just as long as I'm standing. Shifting 1-2 and 2-1...

I do have MHD...
Is it possible with that?
Or can you tell me an other program?

I would also be able to drive while someone is logging over teamviewer... Or maybe you can tell what i have to log?

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
CAN messages can't be seen on MHD or INPA, you need a direct connection to the various high/low wires on each bus you want to log. These messages are what tell modules to do things when you interact with inputs, like pulling a paddle or manually changing gears on GWS. In order to do that, a correct message needs to be sent, must make it to the module intended and must be acknowledged by that module.

It appears the shift messages are being sent, reach DCT and are acknowledged sometimes, but we don't know what's going on when it doesn't work. Are they no longer being sent, are they no longer making it through all the busses/modules to get to the final or are they just no longer being acknowledged. Knowing what is or isn't happening would help narrow it down where the problem is.

You have so much going on with the swaps and extras, it's not easy to zero in on a particular thing. All we really know for sure is there are LIN issues. Do you have any idea of what is occuring/what instances cause that code to trip? If the GWS itself has an issue, replacing could resolve it, but if it's wiring or something else, replacing the GWS is obviously a waste.

Is the kill switch just for the starter or does it cut off all 12V power completely? These cars are very picky when it comes to power, so if you're cutting it off completely, it might be pertinent. Just bad voltage regulators, alternators, batteries and grounds can cause all kinds of problems.

Does manual mode work on the first start if you don't drive it or it doesn't work on first start at all?

Did your coder save the VO they used to a module so we can see what they set? Do you have the bin/0da that was flashed to the trans or was that done remote also?

mspwerk

Private
Sep 9, 2022
Thanks for the explanation!!!

- Killswitch cut off the 12V completely. (Attach)
The Shifting works again (only standing) after was dead when i turn off and start the car over the killswitch.

- The shifiting just works before I start rolling/ driving. Few meters are enough so that the shifting is not working. After that rolling it's blocked
and only works when I turn off the car and turn off/on the killswitch.

- About the VO I'm not sure. Are these files/ data writen on the different ecu's? I could ask him for the data.... Also the bin/0da...
Maybe he put them on my pc...

- I was done all on remote...

Attachments

• cartek.JPG
    cartek.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 26

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
It still sounds like it's seeing a signal/sensor error. I pulled a wheel speed sensor to test something not long ago and it produced an identical scenario. Everything was fine after start and the whole time it idled, then errored after the car first moved forward about 10 feet. When you restart, temporary errors are cleared and things work fine again until the error occurs again (i.e. until the car moves again).

Sounds exactly like what you're seeing. It may not be wheel speed if you're not getting codes, but has something to do with the car actually moving to trigger it. It would be great if it actually told you what and I dont know why it doesn't.

When stopped, you can only manually select 1st or 2nd, so sounds like it's working perfectly normally before the car moves/something is flagged.

I'd start the car/drive until manual doesn't work, drive it right back without resetting, don't turn it off (can turn off engine, but make sure run/acc stays on), connect ISTA and see if it pulls any issues while in the state where manual isn't available. Post a screen of the module tree after reading and any codes that are in modules.

Coder could've saved VO to any module, but normally would be CAS or FRM. It doesn't have to be saved, so may not have. You can just ask him for the VO he used, it's just a text string.

Olza

Corporal
Feb 2, 2020
Minsk, Belarus
Ride
BMW M240 xdrive
There are weird issues. Stock 335 dct flash seems to work with stock gws.
Gts does not in any way.
Tcu has two routines in manual - standstill and moving. Looks like when he start driving tcu somehow stuck in standstill mode. I changed conditions for that mode, no luck.

@mspwerk, tell us please yours zb number from current dme flash.

Reactions: RSL and mspwerk

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Definitely weird issues. If it just thought it was stuck in standstill, 1st and 2nd would probably still work like they do before it moves. Seems like an actual error after movement it's aware of, but no codes to go with it.

Unless he's swapped since, car has an aftermarket steering wheel and there is an intermittent 9520 code, making me think there's a problem with the steering angle/clock spring or something related to DSC.

giovany7

Dec 8, 2022
Hey guys, I just completed the DCT swap on my e90 single turbo and I am stuck on the wiring part. I bought a brand new 335is transmission harness and did the re pin. The shifter light is on but I'm getting a lot of fault codes. The transmission is coded and I was able to start the car. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2E7F - DME: EGS via PT-CAN2 and PT-CAN.

2FOC - Intake air temperature sensor.

CD95 - Message (operation, cruise control/ACC, 0×194) incorrect, receiver DME, transmitter DSC / SZL / LWS / ACC.

CD98 - Message error (DSC torque request, 0xB6),

DME receiver, AHM / DSC transmitter.

CD9C - Message (speed, Ox1A0) incorrect, receiver

DME, transmitter DSC.

CD9D - Message (transmission data, OxBA) incorrect, receiver DME, transmitter EGS/HIM/SMG/DCT.

CD9 - Message (transmission data 2, 0x1A2) incorrect, receiver DME, transmitter EGS/SMG/DCT.

CDA1 - Message (steering wheel angle, OxC4) incorrect, receiver DME, transmitter DSC.

CDA5 - Message (status, DSC, 0×19E) incorrect, receiver

DME, transmitter DSC.

CDA7 - Message error (status, reverse gear, Ox3BO),

DME receiver, FRM / LM transmitter.

CDAD - Message error (request, wheel torque, drivetrain, OxBF), DME receiver, DSC / LDM transmitter.

CDBO - Message error (display, transmission data, 0x1D2), DME receiver, ETC / HIM / SMG / DCT transmitter.

CDB4 - Message (transmission data , 0x3B1) incorrect, receiver DME, transmitter EGS/SMG/DCT.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
This isn't quite a swap thread, you may get more pertinent info in one.

Cleared and these errors persist? All the errors seem CAN related except for IAT. Messages either aren't there, aren't getting through GWS or others to get where needed. Make sure CAN wires are properly connected and necessary modules are coded with correct DCT VO.

n54oneoffan

Dec 17, 2022
I just jump to very end sorry if I missed the information for my question.
My question is, if I want to let the 335is start moving like e92 m3, specifically, have to touch the gas pedal to roll instead of just release brake, do I just do the tcu tune/programming, or I have to swap parts?

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Just programming. I haven't used in a long time, but XHP for standard DCT (non-M) had a toggle for creep as flash time option.