Discussion about issues encountered whilst converting to M3 Flash and GWS

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
Well, a couple more logs, trying to keep pedal consistent and boost smooth to not shoot over target. It's hard.

https://datazap.me/u/cstokes54/mdct-higher-frequency-heavy-pedal

https://datazap.me/u/cstokes54/mdct-higher-frequency-light-pedal

2 logs in each set. Trying to repeat for consistency, but never could.

EDIT: earlier logs have been with traction control on or DTC enabled. Just drove the car with DSC off and the sluggish shifts are there again. Turned DSC on and 3+ gear shifts were okay - ish. Going to do back to back logs with the 3 levels of DSC to verify.

EDIT 2: Disregard... couldn't repeat. Seems I can be consistent with pedal, but that is not related to throttle. One more log with DTC On; DSC OFF; DSC ON in one log. Nothing really worth sharing. :(
https://datazap.me/u/cstokes54/mdct-dtc?log=0&data=0-5-6

Last edited:

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Well, a couple more logs, trying to keep pedal consistent and boost smooth to not shoot over target. It's hard.

https://datazap.me/u/cstokes54/mdct-higher-frequency-heavy-pedal

https://datazap.me/u/cstokes54/mdct-higher-frequency-light-pedal

2 logs in each set. Trying to repeat for consistency, but never could.

EDIT: earlier logs have been with traction control on or DTC enabled. Just drove the car with DSC off and the sluggish shifts are there again. Turned DSC on and 3+ gear shifts were okay - ish. Going to do back to back logs with the 3 levels of DSC to verify.

EDIT 2: Disregard... couldn't repeat. Seems I can be consistent with pedal, but that is not related to throttle. One more log with DTC On; DSC OFF; DSC ON in one log. Nothing really worth sharing. :(
https://datazap.me/u/cstokes54/mdct-dtc?log=0&data=0-5-6
Your closures are definitely from boost over target. Low pedal, it's pretty much over target the whole time, so that at least answers that.

Interesting, so DTC and/or DSC enabled and things are better? That only applies to part-throttle shifts?

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
Your closures are definitely from boost over target. Low pedal, it's pretty much over target the whole time, so that at least answers that.

Interesting, so DTC and/or DSC enabled and things are better? That only applies to part-throttle shifts?

I can't get anything consistent enough to say one way or the other. Most likely I was experiencing a 99% throttle opening which made for good shifts. So, probably safer to say anything less than wide open throttle (not pedal) is sluggish.

I'm considering disconnecting the waste gate solenoid so I'm natural aspiration and see if I can get more consistency that way.

Anyone have the ability to change the Torque tables to something higher and see if that causes a change?

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
The concentration seems to need to be on part-throttle shifts from what everyone says. Yes, you can adjust torque request/output, but you need to be on an unlocked map to make changes. Stock rom would be easiest if you don't have an unlocked custom tune, so if you're in a place you can switch to that, might give it a flash and test drive that since it would be a whole new starting point and we can dabble with it from there.

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
The concentration seems to need to be on part-throttle shifts from what everyone says. Yes, you can adjust torque request/output, but you need to be on an unlocked map to make changes. Stock rom would be easiest if you don't have an unlocked custom tune, so if you're in a place you can switch to that, might give it a flash and test drive that since it would be a whole new starting point and we can dabble with it from there.

I can volunteer to try stock rom changes. I'm only running OTS MHD. Not a daily driver car either.

I don't have the experience or tools to modify the stock image. Would need help.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Stopped in at the stealership today to order some PINS so I can wire in my DSC and Power buttons. I should probably prep for an IKM0S switchover (1M DME flash).

Reactions: RSL

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I can volunteer to try stock rom changes. I'm only running OTS MHD. Not a daily driver car either.

I don't have the experience or tools to modify the stock image. Would need help.
If you pull a clean copy of the rom (98G0B?), I'll take a look at it. I haven't messed with N55s, but a lot of tables look similar to N54, which I'm very familiar with, but plenty of people around to bounce things off of if needed.

Will be curious just how stock vs. the OTS map changes part-throttle shifts, if at all.

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
If you pull a clean copy of the rom (98G0B?), I'll take a look at it. I haven't messed with N55s, but a lot of tables look similar to N54, which I'm very familiar with, but plenty of people around to bounce things off of if needed.

Will be curious just how stock vs. the OTS map changes part-throttle shifts, if at all.

I can send you the stock 98G0B ppk bin tonight if that helps. Just let me know what email to send it to.

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
I'll revert back to stock this evening and will see how the mdct acts on a factory dme. I can pull the bin too (non PPK).

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
So, as a test, I flashed to the newer GTS ZUSB and went through the re-train and characteristic curve and adaptations reset. Wow, couldn't tell a difference between shift logic 1 or 5 after that. After some driving to see if it would learn, 1-2 was starting to get a firmer shift, but everything else, even at full throttle was terrible.

https://datazap.me/u/cstokes54/mdct-updated-gts-plus-reset-adaptations?log=0&data=3-6

Attachments

• ZUSB for GS40.JPG
    ZUSB for GS40.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 112

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
Reading up on the M5 DCT conversions and found this to maybe go along with my remaining error...

CF21 - Message (raw data for longitudinal acceleration) error from DSC, receiver DKG/EGS, transmitter DSC/KOMBI

"Note that as I've been saying for a long time, the SMG is far, far more complex than just rev matching a shift. On a paddle click, the SMG module takes your desire to shift, looks at present torque output, engine input speed (crank), layshaft speed (driveshaft), and makes torque and shift requests via PT-CAN to the DME with an actual desired torque output in newton-meters of the resultant shift. Think about that...for a smooth shift to occur, not only do you need the engine and layshaft RPM to be matched as the clutch is re-engaged, but you need to maintain a relatively constant longitudinal acceleration value (g-force), or the shift will be felt as "harsh" or "lurchy". What makes the SMG so complex is that the vehicle mass (thus differing ZUSBs from the M5 to the M6) has to be taken into account along with torque output from the engine, gear ratios (in the DME), moments of inertia per gear (in the DME), final drive ratio (in the DME), all of these things are taken into account. Also, the obvious things, like shift prevention for undesirables...all of that is actually in the DME, not the SMG. As the SMG makes the request, the DME looks at predicted engine RPMs and if falls outside of operational limits (for a downshift, exceeding RPM limits), it denies the request to the SMG. All in all, a remarkably complex arrangement. "

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 104

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
So, as a test, I flashed to the newer GTS ZUSB and went through the re-train and characteristic curve and adaptations reset. Wow, couldn't tell a difference between shift logic 1 or 5 after that. After some driving to see if it would learn, 1-2 was starting to get a firmer shift, but everything else, even at full throttle was terrible.

https://datazap.me/u/cstokes54/mdct-updated-gts-plus-reset-adaptations?log=0&data=3-6

After adaptations was reset BMW advises that you only drive the car in M - 5 mode (or M - 6 mode with DSC off) for 500mi to retrain everything.

Reactions: Stokes

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
DSC Connector: http://www.te.com/usa-en/product-2-1241659-1.html#pdp-docs-features

No documentation and no indication on what PIN is the correct one (buying some pins to wire in my DSC button). Sigh. I want to catch a break soon on this.

After 3 orders that were incorrect, the correct part numbers for the DSC pins are as follows. You need both parts, one is the metal pin itself and the other is the rubber grommet to keep the connector weather tight.

Terminal socket MQS ELA

Sealing grommet

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces