DAW turbos

Eyelobes

Corporal
Apr 23, 2019
Ride
2007 e90 335i
I’m not surprised..are you? Everything else was suspicious...

Honestly, not super surprised, but does leave me with a bit of buyers remorse. Still HOPING that I can reach my moderate goals with them for at least a few years. I daily my car but I only take it to work and back with a few errands between, maybe 10 miles a day at most

Reactions: SlimE92

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Good it's so crazy that unless someone really followed they might not realize how greasy the actions that took place are. Want people see it's not just internet talk and that anyone that puts any leg work in finds dirt.

Eyelobes

Corporal
Apr 23, 2019
Ride
2007 e90 335i
Good it's so crazy that unless someone really followed they might not realize how greasy the actions that took place are. Want people see it's not just internet talk and that anyone that puts any leg work in finds dirt.
I agree but nobody ever seems to do it, just a lot of bad mouthing from the internet "telephone game". It took me all of 5 minutes to find the site and submit a request. Anyone could have done this even with only pics floating around of other balance sheets. So, I'm just going to take them "as-is" with no expectation of warranty, since we've all seen the bigger companies deny warranty claims due to user install error, something wrong with the engine, or overspun. I would, however like to know where those pics of the balancing shop on thier FB came from.

SlimE92

Private
Apr 1, 2019
Ride
E92 n54
Honestly, not super surprised, but does leave me with a bit of buyers remorse. Still HOPING that I can reach my moderate goals with them for at least a few years. I daily my car but I only take it to work and back with a few errands between, maybe 10 miles a day at most
Hopefully all goes well if you do decide to install them. I hope you understand that most of what went on in the previous thread was pretty much a few of us just pointing out the obvious, the ones who were barking the loudest or resulting to insult people personally were the ones behind the company. One of them stated on the first page that he was “the messenger” between the forum and the “owner”

Eyelobes

Corporal
Apr 23, 2019
Ride
2007 e90 335i
Regardless of what the sheets say or whatever else, there ARE grinds on the compressor nut, so I would assume some balancing took place at some point. Guess i'll have to wait until i can spool these suckers up. Its just annoying because there is evidence pointing towards both sides of the argument regarding all things surrounding these.

If nothing else, at least i WILL install these and keep you all updated on how they perform and at what WGDC on 93 octane. This will at least give people an honest answer of what to expect from these that just want something cheap, simple and don't want to running crazy PI, Meth, e85 etc

Eyelobes

Corporal
Apr 23, 2019
Ride
2007 e90 335i
Hopefully all goes well if you do decide to install them. I hope you understand that most of what went on in the previous thread was pretty much a few of us just pointing out the obvious, the ones who were barking the loudest or resulting to insult people personally were the ones behind the company. One of them stated on the first page that he was “the messenger” between the forum and the “owner”
Yeah i don't understand that, Shawn has always replied to me within 15 minutes of my emails. Why would anyone go through a reseller or "messager" for information when the vendor is easily accessible. Albeit, I didn't do my research on Nick prior to buying through him, but that was 3 weeks before all the ecoboost crap popped up. I always try to do my due diligence on any larger purchase.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Not the same AR Design as that of N54 catless downpipe fame. DAW used to be Air Research and Design, made parts for the B5 S4 platform.

So ARD not AR, very important distinction. Quick search popped back issues with fitment on basic piping they sold or built. Didn't read much. Maybe it was isolated or user error, maybe not.

On your turbos balance sheets being effectively moot, can you get the balance checked locally? Id be leery of spending all the install time to put on a set of turbos that will kill themselves in under a year due to poor balancing.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

Eyelobes

Corporal
Apr 23, 2019
Ride
2007 e90 335i
Don't think I have a local place I can get them checked in my useless Georgia town of Augusta

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I genuinely hope that this turns out good for you guys. I dig for truth and am skeptical but that does not mean I want to find out things. When I do see stuff like what happened with EcoBoost thing it makes me not want to support that vendor or person even if saves me money and is amazing product. I don't want to finance a scam artist . Also any business owes it to the community to be careful who represents them and they all like the extra revenue so they have to be responsible for their actions as well. I can't stand when they pull that plausible deniability I didn't realize crap. If you are making a product you should know where it goes and how it gets their. You don't sell guns to terrorist. I know that's extreme but you don't give product to someone that you know has Mal intent.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Well Fak, I already have the turbos installed but working through some issues before testing. I do have a friend that ran DAW's for a year with no issues. Hope I can run longer but time will tell.

Reactions: Rob09msport

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Well Fak, I already have the turbos installed but working through some issues before testing. I do have a friend that ran DAW's for a year with no issues. Hope I can run longer but time will tell.

Good luck man. No way to tell if they will or won't since the QC reports are worthless.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Aftermarket outlet pipes always getting boost leaks at the center silicone joiner hose between the aluminum pipes, more clamps or a longer silicone joiner might resolve that, this is with the VRSF N54 Aluminum Turbo Outlet Charge Pipe.
Specifically with your car? This seems like a broad (mis) generalization.
Too much low end torque will bend rods
Power curve is variable, and a tuning issue, not a twins issue.
They make a lot of heat
I always thought heat was largely a byproduct of product of power production, and generally tied to the amount of air/fuel being burned (that is, efficiency doesn't move around too much from one configuration to the next. That said ... I'd find it interesting if someone can explain why a single would make less heat than twins, given the same power out on the same motor.
It seems like twins are disposable if they fail after warranty nobody will rebuild them
Nobody meaning the vendors or the owners? in-house rebuilding: I know RB Turbo rebuilds turbos all the time (often OE and other). I believe VTT does the same.

At $2k+/- it's hard to say that "these are hard to beat" ... given the lack of history with them (3k miles doesn't count), and to your point, the fact that 20-40 hours (plus all the parts that one does) are the real costs. Warranty is something I never hope to use on a set of twins ... well lost that battle, if one has to exercise warranty. To that point, single is nice because ... no 40 hours to service, one turbo to rebuild not two, and one can buy turbos with a long track record.

Filippo

• Agree

Eyelobes

Corporal
Apr 23, 2019
Ride
2007 e90 335i
I genuinely hope that this turns out good for you guys. I dig for truth and am skeptical but that does not mean I want to find out things. When I do see stuff like what happened with EcoBoost thing it makes me not want to support that vendor or person even if saves me money and is amazing product. I don't want to finance a scam artist . Also any business owes it to the community to be careful who represents them and they all like the extra revenue so they have to be responsible for their actions as well. I can't stand when they pull that plausible deniability I didn't realize crap. If you are making a product you should know where it goes and how it gets their. You don't sell guns to terrorist. I know that's extreme but you don't give product to someone that you know has Mal intent.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, but with RB and VTT's negative presence on forums, that same concept aplies to me as well. I could not do business with a vendor that constantly berates anyone who brings new product to market, or anyone who says their design isn't the best. I've seen too many threads across this and the other forum where potential customers are called stupid for going against their designs.

So those two are out for me just due to principal, I would have bought straight from DAW if i'd known prior to their reseller's past. Seems like Pure, Doc, and Speedtech don't care to bicker about things and just put out good products than speak for themselves

Eyelobes

Corporal
Apr 23, 2019
Ride
2007 e90 335i
I would have loved to go single, but the paywall to entry is a little too steep for me to justify. Not building a show car or a track monster, just want some fun. but singles do look nice up there on top.

Well, more and more are getting these things installed so I guess its a waiting game now. The fact that there are a lot over in the UK running ispeedytech and other chinabay turbos with good success at least bodes well for DAW. The internals of the CHRA are still a mystery as is where the stage 2+ get balanced. but they ARE balanced to some extent, or at least made to look that way from the nut on the compressor.

Eyelobes

Corporal
Apr 23, 2019
Ride
2007 e90 335i

Same here, I want to start installing but i don't want to leave my car without coolant and oil for an extended (a least a month) period of time, i need to buy new oil lines. Just don't want to risk reusing mine, even tho there is no indication that they are bad

Anywho, lets drive this forward and becomes advocates or spread our stories of woe to the masses

Just keep swimming -Dory

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
I agree with this wholeheartedly, but with RB and VTT's negative presence on forums, that same concept aplies to me as well. I could not do business with a vendor that constantly berates anyone who brings new product to market, or anyone who says their design isn't the best. I've seen too many threads across this and the other forum where potential customers are called stupid for going against their designs.

So those two are out for me just due to principal, I would have bought straight from DAW if i'd known prior to their reseller's past. Seems like Pure, Doc, and Speedtech don't care to bicker about things and just put out good products than speak for themselves

I agree that both RB and VTT can come off negative on the forums. I like to think of it as jaded :tearsofjoy:. Surprisingly things are much better than they were 2-3 years ago. That being said Tony, Chris and Rob have been very professional when dealing with them. I am not saying this is an excuse for the behavior, but you have to understand that these are both fairly small business owners and this is their livelihood. They have worked hard to get where they are and there have been multiple new companies that come and blatantly lie and make false claims just to get sales. It has happened multiple times on this platform. All that being said I understand completely where you are coming from. Especially someone who is new to the platform.

Reactions: RNM

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Same here, I want to start installing but i don't want to leave my car without coolant and oil for an extended (a least a month) period of time, i need to buy new oil lines. Just don't want to risk reusing mine, even tho there is no indication that they are bad

Anywho, lets drive this forward and becomes advocates or spread our stories of woe to the masses

Just keep swimming -Dory
Yep, good or bad I will be posting my results.

Funny thing is I read nothing but good things about these Turbos, saw them in action against my car, and the specs on paper look great. As soon as I bought them I started seeing all these negative posts like "these will probably fail" and "they are probably just ebay turbos" but I haven't seen anyone provide real proof they are bad or fail. It's all been speculation on what could be instead of what is.

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi

If only there were people posting that DAW and it's resellers were shady... It's too bad nobody did.