CRANK HUB N54? - 700-800whp auto

NY335LCI

Sep 17, 2018
Ride
LCI E90 335i Xdrive
I kno theirs a thread but lets bring it back to life..
At the power level to 700-800whp is a crank hub still needed on the N54 or is that for the big boys 800whp+ “1khp”
Would like to hear you guys suggestion?

zomski101

Private
Dec 28, 2019
Ride
335i
Mine slipped at 95k miles with MMP stage 3 at 18.5psi and e50, so around 500whp maybe. Got the vtt spline lock and the cars been fine for the past 60k miles.

Reactions: NY335LCI

NY335LCI

Sep 17, 2018
Ride
LCI E90 335i Xdrive
Mine slipped at 95k miles with MMP stage 3 at 18.5psi and e50, so around 500whp maybe. Got the vtt spline lock and the cars been fine for the past 60k miles.
Good to see real world results on vtt , hesitant on their products at times

NY335LCI

Sep 17, 2018
Ride
LCI E90 335i Xdrive
Honestly buying and having a crank hub fix installed is probably the same price as an n54. I personally will only do mine if I build the motor and have a significant amount of money invested in the motor.
yea motor is built, closed deck piston rods, but i just heard its not as common as s55 so why i just wanted other peoples opinons at these power levels

Reactions: chrisdfv

STE92

Corporal
Mar 3, 2017
Ride
E92
Prices in hubs have go down... new one on the market signifaclly cheaper. Worth checking out.

NY335LCI

Sep 17, 2018
Ride
LCI E90 335i Xdrive
Prices in hubs have go down... new one on the market signifaclly cheaper. Worth checking out.
Im going to buy either vtt or this company misfire racing which looks really good
Are those 2 good choices?

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Im going to buy either vtt or this company misfire racing which looks really good
Are those 2 good choices?
Maximum PSI is the only one that makes a true keyed solution that I’m aware of. If you’re gonna do it, do it right. My opinion anyway.

Reactions: RSTECH

NY335LCI

Sep 17, 2018
Ride
LCI E90 335i Xdrive
Maximum PSI is the only one that makes a true keyed solution that I’m aware of. If you’re gonna do it, do it right. My opinion anyway.
Max psi discontinued but ill ask a few people I kno thats close to them and see what they say
Thank you

STE92

Corporal
Mar 3, 2017
Ride
E92
Max psi discontinued but ill ask a few people I kno thats close to them and see what they say
Thank you

Ppl act like is rocket science
Thank you

People act like is rocket science and only one manufacturer can make it right 🤦🏽‍♂️. Vtt had an issued with first batch apparently they have new version and the misfire racing is a copy of max psi but a one piece which I like but haven't heard any reviews. He doesnt make them some other engineer did apparently.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Ppl act like is rocket science

People act like is rocket science and only one manufacturer can make it right 🤦🏽‍♂️. Vtt had an issued with first batch apparently they have new version and the misfire racing is a copy of max psi but a one piece which I like but haven't heard any reviews. He doesnt make them some other engineer did apparently.
There is the potential that only one person “could” make them. Totally depends on the design, material, and the drawing requirements. The two parts could “look” identical and be completely different just because of a heat treat, or shot peen operation.

STE92

Corporal
Mar 3, 2017
Ride
E92
There is the potential that only one person “could” make them. Totally depends on the design, material, and the drawing requirements. The two parts could “look” identical and be completely different just because of a heat treat, or shot peen operation.
Agree to disagree.... I'm sure there are plenty of places in the US that can make that crank hub the right way. Nothing proprietary about it or special

NY335LCI

Sep 17, 2018
Ride
LCI E90 335i Xdrive
Agree to disagree.... I'm sure there are plenty of places in the US that can make that crank hub the right way. Nothing proprietary about it or special
You guys both make valid points if indont hear anything about max psi I will most likely go with misfire racing hub ,since it seems its the closet thing to it

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Anyone with the right equipment can make anything. That’s only half of it. The manufacturers only have to meet the print requirements. So, the engineering/design become critical. I’m sure there’s a lot more involved in properly designing these hubs than most would think. Whether or not misfire, max psi have the engineering chops for it is certainly a fair question, but they seem to have the most capable looking design. I can’t, however, say that it is up to snuff or not though.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
The way i understand it and was told, is misfire got the design the same as maxpsi, and started making them in detroit about 400$ cheaper putting maxpsi out. Their markup was stupid high. Which was honestly a bit too much. I myself grabbed a vtt v2 hub on black friday, for about half of what they usually are. Haven't had a hub slip on 4 stock motors, but its worth assurance when building a proper one. Shit happens.

schmick325

Lurker
Oct 29, 2019
Ride
BMW 1M
I've 99% likely spun my hub running RB Next gens on E85 and about 580 rwhp (Australian dyno). Is the misfire racing hub ok? Anyone have one fitted? i see them for sale on eBay. Just wondering if they are strong. There's so many horror stories of these hub fixes.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
I've 99% likely spun my hub running RB Next gens on E85 and about 580 rwhp (Australian dyno). Is the misfire racing hub ok? Anyone have one fitted? i see them for sale on eBay. Just wondering if they are strong. There's so many horror stories of these hub fixes.
Misfire got the design from maxpsi and undersold them, putting them out of business on the n54 line. Thats the way i understood it. So, it should be good to go.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Misfire got the design from maxpsi and undersold them, putting them out of business on the n54 line. Thats the way i understood it. So, it should be good to go.

That man should stick to building hondas with chinese parts, not selling mission-critical stuff for the N54.

Who's to say the metallurgy is up to par? Vargas had the same issue with spline lock they claimed it bites into the crank and then they slip, customer removes it and finds the teeth are flat.

I'll run a stock overtorqued crank hub before I touch a shitfire race product. On my first built motor survived 34.5k miles of 650whp and up before the head finally lifted. never an issue with stock hub + overtorque and I was not gentle on that motor.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus