CIC HmiMain from F30

superwofy

Corporal
Jan 18, 2021
HmiMain is the CIC GUI binary that the user interacts with. The menus, browser visuals, navigation etc. are rendered through this executable.

I extracted this from an F30 KCAN2 CIC and wrote a script so that it can be run from USB. I haven't been able to find any changes really, but the build is from 2012...

Copy to the root of a fat32 drive and plug into the glovebox USB.
Wait about 30s, screen will go black and the new HMI will appear.

IMG_20220609_000102.jpg

Attachments

• HmiMain76617.zip
    24.5 MB · Views: 47

zimmie

Jun 23, 2022
Great Work.

is it possible to extract the music player executable as well from the F30?

It will be intresting to see if we can get it to play *.flac as the e series cars do not suport this file format.

superwofy

Corporal
Jan 18, 2021
Great Work.

is it possible to extract the music player executable as well from the F30?

It will be intresting to see if we can get it to play *.flac as the e series cars do not suport this file format.

The MME (Multi Media Engine) binary on the CIC is the same version between E and F.

Maybe the Combox MME binary (since it has its own) is different. Are you thinking of NBT?

zimmie

Jun 23, 2022
it might have been NBT.

I totally forgot that the F30 came with both NBT on LCI and CIC.

just for fun, could you pop some Flac on a usb stick and try it on the USB port in your F30?

superwofy

Corporal
Jan 18, 2021
it might have been NBT.

I totally forgot that the F30 came with both NBT on LCI and CIC.

just for fun, could you pop some Flac on a usb stick and try it on the USB port in your F30?

Sorry, don't have an F30. I just have a CIC from one on my bench.

pRoxxx

Private
Feb 9, 2021
Interesting, could you share the filesystem from f30 and E series, so I can investigate them.

pRoxxx

Private
Feb 9, 2021
Ok, I started to investigate the HMIMain binary. The easy way to change something is to edit the ResDB.colors file because there are no headers etc., it's just 32-bit colors (RGBA) one by one, 170 colors total. I have scaled the RGB part with * 0.5, so the picture should be darker, but it doesn't work. I don't know why, maybe it still uses resources from flash or this HMI trick doesn't work for me.
superwofy
how do you check the rev and build version, should I code something?
(NM, I found ENTWICKLER_MENUE coding)

Last edited:

superwofy

Corporal
Jan 18, 2021
Ok, I started to investigate the HMIMain binary. The easy way to change something is to edit the ResDB.colors file because there are no headers etc., it's just 32-bit colors (RGBA) one by one, 170 colors total. I have scaled the RGB part with * 0.5, so the picture should be darker, but it doesn't work. I don't know why, maybe it still uses resources from flash or this HMI trick doesn't work for me.
superwofy

Sorry, I didn't reply in time. Yes, you enable the developer menu. Alternatively, open the file in a hex editor and go to 0x10E86D8.

It's also shown when executing via command:

target:/home/root> /mnt/hbuser/HmiMainf30 -c=MTP,mtp00-out,mtp00-in -mp=11 -p1=11 -z=2 -p5=9 -ro=/mnt/hbuser/f30/ro -rw=/mnt/hbuser/f30/rw

CIC_L6_1107_Release B1107-501-1123S Build 46 - Rev:76617 2012/04/05 11:26:19

pRoxxx

Private
Feb 9, 2021
superwofy
Yes, the script from USB doesn't override existing files in /tmp/ dir, so I've deleted them with FTP. Now it works and I see the darker menu and etc!

pRoxxx

Private
Feb 9, 2021
At last, I have unpacked images DB

Some images that I got:
Новый точечный рисунок.jpg

Pictograms:
Новый точечный рисунок.jpg

Last edited:

pRoxxx

Private
Feb 9, 2021
Any details on what the ResDB encoding/header is? Can you re-pack it?
I had started repacking and researching NBT DB, but then got a lot of things to do at work. When I have done them and got free time, I switched to disassembling another ECU's MSV80/CAS/EGS and cracked their 5-level auth keys.
what exactly is the goal of that @pRoxxx ? Are you trying to alter the UI menues and its apperance on a cic?
Yes

relekexe

Oct 1, 2022
I had started repacking and researching NBT DB, but then got a lot of things to do at work. When I have done them and got free time, I switched to disassembling another ECU's MSV80/CAS/EGS and cracked their 5-level auth keys.

Yes
Can you share more info how you view resdb files? I want to take a look myself into it