BMW M4/M3 clutch on N54

Dreyo27

Corporal
Nov 28, 2016
Sacramento
Ride
2007 335i 2008 535i
Has anyone tried to fit the M4 Clutch/Pressure plate on an N54/N55?
It's an awsome twin disc clutch that has been prooven to hold over 700tq.
best of all they can be had CHEAP!!!
https://m.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M3-2017-...+M4+CLUTCH&LH_ItemCondition=4&_from=R40&rt=nc

I am sure m4 flywheel is required for the swap. That's where I run into the issue of being an early 8 bolt crank. If I was a 6 bolt I would have tried it already.

Looks like the first few issues we have to tackle is
1)the diameter of OEM M4 flywheel (will it line up with the sarter)
2)Will it bolt up to our crank?
If no, I am sure one of the vendors like Mfactory will make us a flywheel that adapts the 2 if there is enough interest.

3)the size of the assembly seems bigger, will it fit? (we can put the throwout bearing on the smaller peak making it sit back further, or possibly go for a slim hydrolic slave cylinder/throw out bearing.

4)most importantly, do the clutch splines line up with the tranny input shaft. because if they don't its not worth doing.

Dreyo27

Corporal
Nov 28, 2016
Sacramento
Ride
2007 335i 2008 535i
Let's see, the car only has 3k miles lol. Plus as you can see, there is no way it was damaged.

If you want to be a negative nelly, go to 4chan.

In the meantime for testing purposes, its perfect, unless you want to spend 3k for a new one.

Reactions: Vitan

frontside0815

Corporal
Nov 9, 2016
Germany
It does not fit- we tried it here in Germany.
Transmission want go on..

But you can use my clutch which is similiar to OEM M3/4 but even better (see my thread).

Dreyo27

Corporal
Nov 28, 2016
Sacramento
Ride
2007 335i 2008 535i
As someone who has an Mfactory twin disc and after talking to a few people that have the Motive/Spec twin disc, I can say that once you install it, you cross that line from a daily driver to a racecar. It is as comftrable to live with on daily basis as gonorrhea.

I just removed my Mfactory Twin disc, and dropped it off to get the whole assembely balanced within 1 gram, but hopping to find a more refined solution. Also got a kevlar tranny blanket to install. Hopping it can muffle/insulate the tranny noise. I dont like having to park far away so people don't hear the crazy rattle, esspecialy at 900rpm idle with the clutch pedal pressed in.

If i have to do a DCT swap I will. Will probably be the 1st to go from 6mt-DCT lol.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
I dont like having to park far away so people don't hear the crazy rattle, esspecialy at 900rpm idle with the clutch pedal pressed in.

I have a spec 3+ unsprung with mfactory smfw, at stock idle. Shit is LOUD

Except idc what other people think of the noises my car makes. The way I see it, they can either fork over the $$$$ to get 700+ whp running right on a dmfw, or they can pound sand.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I have a spec 3+ unsprung with mfactory smfw, at stock idle. Shit is LOUD

Except idc what other people think of the noises my car makes. The way I see it, they can either fork over the $$$$ to get 700+ whp running right on a dmfw, or they can pound sand.

Why don't you raise your idle? at stock idle it sounds horrible. 1k is perfect on my 3+, no rattle with AC on in the car.

• Dumb
Reactions: BoostedE90

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
I've had spec stage 3+ and Spec twin disc. I would go twin disc 100%, it drives just like my M4 except it can hold a lot more tq.
So far I've put 820wtq to it on their base twin disc ;).

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
As someone who has an Mfactory twin disc and after talking to a few people that have the Motive/Spec twin disc, I can say that once you install it, you cross that line from a daily driver to a racecar. It is as comftrable to live with on daily basis as gonorrhea.

I just removed my Mfactory Twin disc, and dropped it off to get the whole assembely balanced within 1 gram, but hopping to find a more refined solution. Also got a kevlar tranny blanket to install. Hopping it can muffle/insulate the tranny noise. I dont like having to park far away so people don't hear the crazy rattle, esspecialy at 900rpm idle with the clutch pedal pressed in.

If i have to do a DCT swap I will. Will probably be the 1st to go from 6mt-DCT lol.
Post what you find with the trans blanket. Only thing I'd be concerned with is it holding all the heat in and cooking the fluid.

frontside0815

Corporal
Nov 9, 2016
Germany

Read more about my clutch here: https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads...-clutch-n54-and-other-clutch-experience.3518/

You will have a Little bit of rattle with every smfw. But my set is as good as it can get.