Best N54 Billet Aluminum Oil Filter Housing Cap?

Which would you have?

• Total voters

N54rsenal

Private
Dec 11, 2018
Ride
2010 335i M Sport LCI
So im looking at Oil Filter Cap upgrades for obvious reasons.
1. The factory cap is plastic and can break sending oil all over your engine bay.
2. Will need a removal tool for service and now I won't need it again because this only requires a 19mm socket.
3. The BMS and CTS have cooling fins in their designs to aid in extra cooling like a passive heatsink.
4. It's a nice aesthetic upgrade to your N54.

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Never had a plastic BMW cap fail and have owned a shitton of BMW's to 150-200k miles.

That said I have the CTS. Works fine. Its value ... bling ... cooling fins ... really not going to go down that path as I don't have crystals hanging from my rear view mirrors to bring more energy to the car (I don't live in Taos, sorry).

Filippo

Last edited:

N54rsenal

Private
Dec 11, 2018
Ride
2010 335i M Sport LCI
Are there any oil pressure issues with BMS and CTS they dont have any raised supporting tabs for the birdcage center which is spring loaded like the factory design and the ECS. This could lead to premature engine wear from reduced oil pressures!

Last edited:

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
So im looking at Oil Filter Cap upgrades for obvious reasons.
1. The factory cap is plastic and can break sending oil all over your engine bay.
2. Will need a removal tool for service and now I won't need it again because this only requires a 19mm socket.
3. The BMS and CTS have cooling fins in their designs to aid in extra cooling like a passive heatsink.
4. It's a nice aesthetic upgrade to your N54.

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
Are there any oil pressure issues with BMS and CTS they dont have any raised supporting tabs for the birdcage center which is spring loaded like the factory design and the ECS. This could lead to premature engine wear from reduced oil pressures!

So, what the hell is that cage thing inside the oil filter cap?

I've changed my oil 3 times since I got my car, that was never in there.

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
The piece you snap your filter onto before putting it back together, it has the small o-ring on the end. Unless you're running it loose, which is not recommended...

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
There is nothing inside my oil filter cap, the filter just sits in the housing and i screw the cap down on top of it.

I was told the little o ring in the MANN filter kits were for cars with external oil coolers, so I wasn't alarmed by not using it. Now I am.

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
Ok yeah, i never bothered looking into it before because I thought I was fine, but I dont have the center piece thats part of this on my car. What does it do and how bad is it to use without it? I've had my car for 10k, it hasn't had it the whole time and I have no idea how long it didn't have it prior to that.

Car works fine, no lights, no sounds, doesn't use much oil(half tick down from max every 3k)

Attachments

• 51c0GiM1wpL._SX466_.jpg
    51c0GiM1wpL._SX466_.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 129

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
So, what the hell is that cage thing inside the oil filter cap?

I've changed my oil 3 times since I got my car, that was never in there.

The center cage appears to direct oil flow through the filter media. The center tip has an o-ring (green) that plugs up a hole to prevent any oil from entering that plugged hole. If your car does not have this center cage thing with the o ring, your oil is flowing into that hole that is supposed to be plugged.

I don't know what the long term effects will be by running your car without the factory center cage as designed. You may have to examine your oil next time you do a change to see if your iron filings are increased or visible. I recommend a magnetic drain plug so that all the metal particles cling to it and you can see how much metal is being shorn if any.

It is 100% certain that your oil flow is not flowing as intended by BMW designers if you do not have the center cage, regardless of the presence or not of an oil cooler. I have clients with non sport 335i's that all have the center cage. Both oil cooler and non oil coolers have this center cage in the OFH.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Ok yeah, i never bothered looking into it before because I thought I was fine, but I dont have the center piece thats part of this on my car. What does it do and how bad is it to use without it? I've had my car for 10k, it hasn't had it the whole time and I have no idea how long it didn't have it prior to that.

Car works fine, no lights, no sounds, doesn't use much oil(half tick down from max every 3k)

A healthy 335i does not burn any oil. I have had mine since 2011 and not a single drop had been burned. 4K oil change intervals. All types of driving styles...aggressive and normal, all situations, all climates.

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
Yeah, its clear now that it doesn't make a difference oil cooler or not. I'm severely pissed.

Thank you for helping me understand what this does and why i need it. Just ordered a replacement cap, swapping asap.

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
A healthy 335i does not burn any oil. I have had mine since 2011 and not a single drop had been burned. 4K oil change intervals. All types of driving styles...aggressive and normal, all situations, all climates.

My owners manual states oil loss is normal even from new, so im not alarmed. I do have a leaking oil pan gasket, so most/some could be from that.

I drive my car hard, pretty much consistently. So between that and 150k miles of questionable maintenance, I consider a half quart between changes a major win.

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
I want to say it's an anti drain back valve, not 100% sure. I think it keeps oil for when starting the car

Reactions: typedRew

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
BMS without a doubt.