Best N54 Billet Aluminum Oil Filter Housing Cap?

Which would you have?

• Total voters

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
My car had been on jack stands for almost two months with the front subframe down to do oil pan gasket (335xi), engine mounts, inlets, and outlets (as well as UUC front sway bar, MaLo crank hub protector plate, coolant pump, thermostat, aluminum power steering pulley, belt, pulleys and tensioner, etc. with so much room with the sf down.) And installed the REVISED MaLo oil filter cap with NEW O-rings, and filter. After a week of test runs all is looking good!
C5B6A325-B0D7-4195-857D-2B2DA0D2E2A8.jpeg

Last edited:

N54rsenal

Private
Dec 11, 2018
Ride
2010 335i M Sport LCI
Oil Bybass Valve Support!
Stock - Plastic
URO - Don't use aluminum cage poor bypass valve design
ECS - Hex 19mm
MaLo - Hex 19mm
MMR - Hex
VTT - Hex 19mm, Cooling Fins
Airtec Motorsport - Hex
Paradigm Engineering - Hex 21mm, Magnetic

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
Oil Bybass Valve Support!
Stock - Plastic
URO - Don't use aluminum cage poor bypass valve design
ECS - Hex 19mm
MaLo - Hex 19mm
MMR - Hex
VTT - Hex 19mm, Cooling Fins
Airtec Motorsport - Hex
Paradigm Engineering - Hex 21mm, Magnetic
Also imo the location where the magnet is placed on the paradigm cap is an area of extremely low flow, because of how the birdcage and supports block it and also it's right above the bypass and oil doesn't flow there in large volumes unless using the bypass (which only happens if the filter is clogged). So I don't expect that to be a very good area for the magnet to be in. Also no by pass support is always a sketchy thing.

Last edited:

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
My car had been on jack stands for almost two months with the front subframe down to do oil pan gasket (335xi), engine mounts, inlets, and outlets (as well as UUC front sway bar, MaLo crank hub protector plate, coolant pump, thermostat, aluminum power steering pulley, belt, pulleys and tensioner, etc. with so much room with the sf down.) And installed the REVISED MaLo oil filter cap with NEW O-rings, and filter. After a week of test runs all is looking good!
View attachment 56385
11 MONTH UPDATE: Only have driven the car about 2000 miles since this last post. All is good on the revised MaLo oil filter cap. No leaks!

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Been running the CTS for over 4 years and and over 25k miles a number of my customers with no issue.

The only thing is the black anodizing starts to go like a golden brown colour but I've seen that happen to a lot of parts
exposed to direct heat

• Informative
Reactions: wheela

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
11 MONTH UPDATE: Only have driven the car about 2000 miles since this last post. All is good on the revised MaLo oil filter cap. No leaks!

Did rev 1 really leak that bad for everyone? I thought the new O ring fixed it?

I have a the 1st rev before they redesigned that I was about to install. When I contacted Malo they said don't worry...which obviously makes me worry ;)

Last edited:

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
Did rev 1 really leak that bad for everyone? I thought the new O ring fixed it?

I have a the 1st rev before they redesigned that I was about to install. When I contacted Malo they said don't worry...which obviously makes me worry ;)
I have both versions (the original hex nut version and the new multi point flat top) no leaks. I'm pretty sure there's only concern if you reuse o-rings.

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus