AWD e82 135i with DCT

Buhala21

Lurker
Jun 25, 2021
Hello everyone,
For a long time I wanted to make a proper fast one series. I was researching for a lot of time, but I wanted to make something that hasn't been done before. The idea of making the little car AWD, but retaining the DCT trans. There were a lot of unknown things, which I found later on.
I wanted to finish the project almost fully before posting and this is what i did, also the car received a 1M conversion.

The DCT trans was never designed to be awd from the factory. There were no mounting points for a transfer case and the output shaft is short and with different splines.
I ended up using e46 NV124 transfer case. The difference between e46 and e90 is that the e46 is fixed ratio of 62% rear and 38% front. The e90 has a clutch and a motor for engagement and disengagement. Too complicated for now. You can bolt up a e46 transfer case on a 8hp as well.

I had to make a shaft from the trans to the transfer case, which I did. It ended up being a bit too long. I don't have a picture of the shaft.

Secondly, I had to create a adapter flange. I am a university student in Ruse. There are some very intelligent people is there, who helped the creation of that flange
photo_2023-03-01_19-34-10.jpg
photo_2023-03-01_19-34-13.jpg

They have some amazing 3d scanners. We scanned the trans as much as we could, the transfer case fully and the two shafts.

This is V1:

photo_2023-03-01_19-45-43.jpg

This is V2 after the shaft was too long:

photo_2023-03-01_19-34-19.jpg

They 3d printed the adapter on a 3d printer in order to test fit it on the car. Everything was a perfect fit. I am very thankful to those people in that University.

This is with the plastic part:

I had to cut the underbody of the car to fit the transfer case and make mounting brackets and holes. The rear driveshaft had to be significantly shortened and the front had to be longer. I used everything from e90 330xd, because this was the most available and affordable at that time. They were in bad condition, so they were restored.
The oil pan was difficult to find used at least in Bulgaria. We sourced one from Germany from a e90 325xi, only 80 euro. N55 and N52 oil pans 99% the same. We only had to plug one hole for the crankcase ventilation. I needed front shocks so I got BC racing COILOVERS for xdrive e90. The axles are the same for 330d and 335i and many more. Everything went together smoothly.

photo_2023-03-01_20-12-17.jpg
photo_2023-03-01_20-12-22.jpg
photo_2023-03-01_20-12-25.jpg

photo_2023-03-01_19-33-39.jpg

I revised the adapter a bit more before giving the file the the guy with the CNC machine. The adapter is going to be made from aluminium 2017, which was the only available grade in my country apparently.

photo_2023-03-01_20-22-02.jpg
photo_2023-03-01_20-21-59.jpg

The only current problem i have is the DSC system. It is giving me a hard time. The front hub carrier is different. The wheel speed sensor measures differently, but they are one size.The 135i front speed sensors measure magnetic pulses meanwhile the xdrive configuration uses conventional speed sensors(the same as in the back). I was thinking of swapping a dsc from xdrive, but then the trans is going to act up. I didn't want to do that. I ended up using the original speed sensors and found some fridge magnets and placed them in the holes of the driveshaft ring.

photo_2023-03-01_19-33-55.jpg
photo_2023-03-01_19-34-02.jpg
photo_2023-03-01_19-33-59.jpg

It started showing speed, but not correctly, because the diameter was different. The most right picture is where wheel speed is measured from. Again different.
The car will drive like that, but i want to be as oem looking as possible. I am open for suggestions!
This is the car running for the first time.
Thanks for you time and enjoy your day!

Attachments

• photo_2023-03-01_19-34-04.jpg
    photo_2023-03-01_19-34-04.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 218

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Bad ass build! Thanks for sharing. I bet it is a little rocket dct + awd + 1 series how it should have come from the factory ;)

Reactions: Boorda

Buhala21

Lurker
Jun 25, 2021
Bad ass build! Thanks for sharing. I bet it is a little rocket dct + awd + 1 series how it should have come from the factory ;)
I have some more work, like assemble the interior and little bits. I will be measuring 0-100 and 100 to 200. I am looking forward to doing that!

• Love
Reactions: Torgus and wheela

Buhala21

Lurker
Jun 25, 2021
The adapter is ready and it came out extremely good for a first try. We can lighten it a lot more, but I wanted to try it like that first.

photo_2023-03-02_23-19-05.jpg
photo_2023-03-02_23-19-09.jpg

If someone is interested in the part, you can pm me. We will figure something out. I also have the adapter shaft.

Buhala21

Lurker
Jun 25, 2021
Any power mods in the works?
The car currently has a catless downpipe, bigger intercooler, charge pipe and a custom map (18psi).I added a second 19 row oil cooler and a trans cooler (19 row) with a mishimoto thermostat(71 C), AKG motor mounts, Aluminium valve cover and front brake disks from 335i (368mm ish). There are quite a few things that I bought, but are not installed yet. I am holding back, because of what i am doing to the car.
1. 4x overdrive helix with 10 micron filter
2. Stage 3 fuel pump upgrade (I don't remember what it was)
3. b58 coils conversion kit
4. S55 injectors
5. Hybrid turbo (I have to look it up)
I have the idea of swapping the N55 for a S55. I know they are very similar and I think you can control the S55 engine with the original DME. I have to see if the oil pan gasket is the same and some more things. I am sure I can frankenstein something out.
The AWD and the 1M conversion are very big projects for me and for the people helping. One person that helped tremendously is @Olza. He is pure genius and knows a lot about DCT transmission. He figured a lot of things and made some unreal steps towards improving the DCT. I can post about the things he did to my car. He is yet to figure out the problem with the DSC system, but it is going to be next week, when I drive the car.

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
You probably saw, Pure just launched the pure750 for n55. Supposedly spools quicker, and flows more than ps2, but I haven't seen any reviews on it yet.

Reactions: Torgus

Dec 4, 2018
Ride
E60 535d M57N
Hello everyone,
For a long time I wanted to make a proper fast one series. I was researching for a lot of time, but I wanted to make something that hasn't been done before. The idea of making the little car AWD, but retaining the DCT trans. There were a lot of unknown things, which I found later on.
I wanted to finish the project almost fully before posting and this is what i did, also the car received a 1M conversion.

The DCT trans was never designed to be awd from the factory. There were no mounting points for a transfer case and the output shaft is short and with different splines.
I ended up using e46 NV124 transfer case. The difference between e46 and e90 is that the e46 is fixed ratio of 62% rear and 38% front. The e90 has a clutch and a motor for engagement and disengagement. Too complicated for now. You can bolt up a e46 transfer case on a 8hp as well.

I had to make a shaft from the trans to the transfer case, which I did. It ended up being a bit too long. I don't have a picture of the shaft.

Secondly, I had to create a adapter flange. I am a university student in Ruse. There are some very intelligent people is there, who helped the creation of that flange View attachment 78581 View attachment 78582
They have some amazing 3d scanners. We scanned the trans as much as we could, the transfer case fully and the two shafts.

This is V1:

View attachment 78580

This is V2 after the shaft was too long:

View attachment 78583

They 3d printed the adapter on a 3d printer in order to test fit it on the car. Everything was a perfect fit. I am very thankful to those people in that University.

This is with the plastic part:

I had to cut the underbody of the car to fit the transfer case and make mounting brackets and holes. The rear driveshaft had to be significantly shortened and the front had to be longer. I used everything from e90 330xd, because this was the most available and affordable at that time. They were in bad condition, so they were restored.
The oil pan was difficult to find used at least in Bulgaria. We sourced one from Germany from a e90 325xi, only 80 euro. N55 and N52 oil pans 99% the same. We only had to plug one hole for the crankcase ventilation. I needed front shocks so I got BC racing COILOVERS for xdrive e90. The axles are the same for 330d and 335i and many more. Everything went together smoothly.

View attachment 78585 View attachment 78586 View attachment 78588

View attachment 78589

I revised the adapter a bit more before giving the file the the guy with the CNC machine. The adapter is going to be made from aluminium 2017, which was the only available grade in my country apparently.

View attachment 78591 View attachment 78592

The only current problem i have is the DSC system. It is giving me a hard time. The front hub carrier is different. The wheel speed sensor measures differently, but they are one size.The 135i front speed sensors measure magnetic pulses meanwhile the xdrive configuration uses conventional speed sensors(the same as in the back). I was thinking of swapping a dsc from xdrive, but then the trans is going to act up. I didn't want to do that. I ended up using the original speed sensors and found some fridge magnets and placed them in the holes of the driveshaft ring.

View attachment 78593 View attachment 78594 View attachment 78595

It started showing speed, but not correctly, because the diameter was different. The most right picture is where wheel speed is measured from. Again different.
The car will drive like that, but i want to be as oem looking as possible. I am open for suggestions!
This is the car running for the first time.
Thanks for you time and enjoy your day!
This is very interesting to me, as I will be swapping DSC and ABS from an E90 into an E30. If you find any solution please let us know. Attached a document with the functional description of the wheel speed sensors on E9x and E8x (6cyl versions). The TIS compared the north and south pole of the magnetic field as tooth/gap, so wierd it is not working. Are you sure the gap between the sensor and the reluctor ring is correct?
Also, here is partnumber for E9x 4cyl abs sensors rear, as they use reluctor rings in the back, maybe that can work? 34526764610, 34526762466

Buhala21

Lurker
Jun 25, 2021
This is very interesting to me, as I will be swapping DSC and ABS from an E90 into an E30. If you find any solution please let us know. Attached a document with the functional description of the wheel speed sensors on E9x and E8x (6cyl versions). The TIS compared the north and south pole of the magnetic field as tooth/gap, so wierd it is not working. Are you sure the gap between the sensor and the reluctor ring is correct?
Also, here is partnumber for E9x 4cyl abs sensors rear, as they use reluctor rings in the back, maybe that can work? 34526764610, 34526762466
I don’t know why BMW decided to put magnetic sensors in the front and hall sensor in the back. The DSC system is quite complicated. There are a lot of variables that the system is monitoring all the time. There is a pdf in which the DSC system is explained. Forgot to mention that the car is flashed with 1M DSC calibration. With ISTA you can monitor wheel speed and direction. The diameter of the ring gear is larger compared to the the original hub carrier.
By the way, the car is showing speed from the front axle but it is not consistent like the back. The trans is slipping the clutch while taking off in first gear a lot. I don’t know about the e30, but most likely you will need the swap the front and rear subframe, which will be “the easy” way. There is not R&D for the DSC unit like the TCU. There is no way to manipulate the dsc like you can do to the tcu. There are a few things i can try on the tcu side, but the dsc is hard to manipulate.

Attachments

• 5DBF12D4-352B-4FAC-BE62-6A01373E13F9.jpeg
    5DBF12D4-352B-4FAC-BE62-6A01373E13F9.jpeg
    27.1 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: lab_rat

Dec 4, 2018
Ride
E60 535d M57N
I don’t know why BMW decided to put magnetic sensors in the front and hall sensor in the back. The DSC system is quite complicated. There are a lot of variables that the system is monitoring all the time. There is a pdf in which the DSC system is explained. Forgot to mention that the car is flashed with 1M DSC calibration. With ISTA you can monitor wheel speed and direction. The diameter of the ring gear is larger compared to the the original hub carrier.
By the way, the car is showing speed from the front axle but it is not consistent like the back. The trans is slipping the clutch while taking off in first gear a lot. I don’t know about the e30, but most likely you will need the swap the front and rear subframe, which will be “the easy” way. There is not R&D for the DSC unit like the TCU. There is no way to manipulate the dsc like you can do to the tcu. There are a few things i can try on the tcu side, but the dsc is hard to manipulate.
Custom magneticly charged rings might be a solution, but have not looked into who can make it.
But there have to be a way to make it work, as we are not the first ones to retrofit e6x/e9x abs into other vehicles. I assume you have ran the tpms calibration? I will try to get in contact with one of the guys I know who has got it working in a vehicle with regular reluctor rings.

Buhala21

Lurker
Jun 25, 2021
Hello again.
I found a solution to the problem. I used a magnetic ring from a Mercedes C300… there were more models with this ring. The car works and it give me LC. The DSC is working very good in the rain and in general on slippery surfaces.

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

Buhala21

Lurker
Jun 25, 2021
The dash is lit like a Christmas tree, but there a no errors from the DSC and trans. It is somewhat good and the LC works, but it doesn’t build boost nor it retards the ignition. It currently runs around 14.7 psi or 1 bar of boost.

Buhala21

Lurker
Jun 25, 2021
IDK if anybody has tried to retrofit a B58 intake manifold, but I think it isn’t that hard. There are 3 variations of this manifold. The cooling of the ecu is my only concern. The B58 and S55 are using the same electric water pump.
I will be doing it when i have time, but i will post the progress.
IMG_7224.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7212.jpeg
    IMG_7212.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7213.jpeg
    IMG_7213.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7195.jpeg
    IMG_7195.jpeg
    376.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7196.jpeg
    IMG_7196.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 49

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
There is one glaring difference between the manifolds...I guess an adapter could be made...but if you go through that why not make it a PI spacer as well.

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
IDK if anybody has tried to retrofit a B58 intake manifold, but I think it isn’t that hard. There are 3 variations of this manifold. The cooling of the ecu is my only concern. The B58 and S55 are using the same electric water pump.
I will be doing it when i have time, but i will post the progress.View attachment 82487
Is that true about the s55 water pump? I thought they went back to a belt driven water pump on s55🤷‍♂️