DIY Article: Augmented Reality For DIY Auto Mechanics? Amazon Innovates In Auto Retail

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Augmented Reality For DIY Auto Mechanics? Amazon Innovates In Auto Retail
Credit for this article belongs to CBInsights.com, where it was published today. PDF below.
6AF2AD18-EE7A-41A2-9369-E160A3BEA9AA.png

A newly granted patent shows Amazon is pursuing augmented reality tech to fuel a new focus on auto parts.

Shopping online for aftermarket auto parts can often be a difficult and frustrating task.
Aftermarket auto parts are usually manufactured by third parties, and are often inconsistent in quality and design.

For example, if the owner of a 1995 Ford Fusion wanted to order new fender liners, she might have trouble finding appropriate liners online. Even when an item is advertised as “compatible,” it often doesn’t fit, due to inconsistencies in manufacturing.

Moreover, there are often hundreds of brands to choose from and a bewildering array of auto makes and models to keep in mind.

Amazon already uses AR tech for its retail business through its iOS and Android apps, allowing customers to project renderings of furniture and electronics on their homes. A new patent granted to Amazon late last month indicates it may expand AR into a whole new retail category. ...

(Download Blank 14.pdf to read the rest of the article)

Attachments

• Blank 14.pdf
    625 KB · Views: 200
Reactions: R.G.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Awesome. Just tell me what size socket I need so I don't have to keep getting out from under my car LOL.

Waiting for the hololens to get past the development kit phase and will be all over it.

• Funny
Reactions: Jeffman

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Awesome. Just tell me what size socket I need so I don't have to keep getting out from under my car LOL.

Waiting for the hololens to get past the development kit phase and will be all over it.

I went and tested a HoloLens. Pretty cool, but the FOV is so narrow its largely worthless. A technology showcase for sure, would like to see version 3. I think thats how many iterations it will take to catch my attention. Magic Leap is also a lot of marketing as well from what I gather.

One thing I did find interesting was their haptic feedback controller: