aftermarket intake manifold - what are the benefits?

8900120d

Lurker
Apr 5, 2018
Ride
335i
Hi guys, im currently FBO + pure stage 2.
I live in the UK so i dont have access to Ethanol, so i run only Pump gas, therefore no need for PI.

my question is, would i see any benefits from an aftermarket manifold? or are they purely made to aid the integration of PI?

thanks

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Hi guys, im currently FBO + pure stage 2.
I live in the UK so i dont have access to Ethanol, so i run only Pump gas, therefore no need for PI.

my question is, would i see any benefits from an aftermarket manifold? or are they purely made to aid the integration of PI?

thanks
Depends on the manifold design. Ideally it is designed to also provide better and more even flow to each intake port.

lamia2super

Corporal
Dec 3, 2016
Miami, FL
Ride
2007 BMW 335i & 2016 Tacoma
intake manifold and PI is only needed to run more boost for big turbo guys. correct me if I'm wrong but pure stage 2 are just a stock turbo upgrade so you wont see much gain. I think some intake manifold companies have dyno sheet from using stock turbos and a few did see more hp(20-30whp maybe) from it but it wasn't much compare to $$$$. I'm also assuming they went pretty aggressive on the tuning to get bigger numbers in a brief rpm range. intake manifolds may have a big impact on a powerband of a car based off how it has been designed. its difficult to get a all around powerband improvement. i recommend doing your hw to see if the small increase in HP and cosmetic upgrade is worth it to you. probably be better off running methanol injection or a throttle body injector to fight against knock as you get more aggressive with tuning (best bang for the buck). nitrous is another more bang for the buck mod you can do.

some people will change a intake manifold for the cosmetic enhancement.

Last edited:

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
intake manifold and PI is only needed to run more boost for big turbo guys. correct me if I'm wrong but pure stage 2 are just a stock turbo upgrade so you wont have much gain. I think some intake manifold companies have dyno sheet from using stock turbos and a few did see more hp from it but it wasn't much compare to $$$$. your probably be better off running methanol injection or a throttle body injector to fight against knock as you get more aggressive on with tuning (best bang for the buck)

PI is useful for stock frame turbos as well when running ethanol blends to keep the HPFP from crashing at increased fuel volumes. I would always recommend a PI plate over TBI or Methanol as a secondary fuel source. Methanol is okay for raising the octane slightly and cooling the combustion chamber but the stock intake manifold was not designed to be ran wet. Fuel distribution could become a problem on TBI/Meth.

lamia2super

Corporal
Dec 3, 2016
Miami, FL
Ride
2007 BMW 335i & 2016 Tacoma
PI is useful for stock frame turbos as well when running ethanol blends to keep the HPFP from crashing at increased fuel volumes. I would always recommend a PI plate over TBI or Methanol as a secondary fuel source. Methanol is okay for raising the octane slightly and cooling the combustion chamber but the stock intake manifold was not designed to be ran wet. Fuel distribution could become a problem on TBI/Meth.

i agree with you, but i don't believe the usefulness equal its cost for a stock turbo application. Thats my opinion

Last edited:
Reactions: kayzrx82

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
If you have the need for PI, then fully integrated injectors into the intake runners is of great benefit. And at this point an intake manifold is something I would definitely look at.

If you need additional ports in the intake mani for things like a hobbs switch for your LPFP, larger boost reference port for BOV, additional vacuum reference for an external PCV, etc....then for a clean install I'd look at it.

You aren't going to get a lot of power out of it. That's been proven. But there are inherent benefits to it...and it just depends if those inherent benefits are worth the cost of entry to you.

Reactions: chadillac2000

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
1) No need to tap the manifold for a BOV
2) Has multiple utility ports for boost/vac reference
3) Larger Plenums
4) Integrated meth/PI provisions, so your chargepipe isn't out of wack
5) Doesn't look like an old, dusty waffle is under your hood

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
looking forward to user data on that bkc (sheet metal) intake manifold that a group buy want down for a while back.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Ive tested the ff manifold, straight bolt on and no other changes 35rwk gain in midrange and with tuning even more

Its expensive but its worth it

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
You cant log iat's in the manifold as the temp sensor is in the charge pipe

You would have to physically put one in one of the pi ports to see the real difference

When your standing still the manifold would heat soak no matter what material its how fast it will drop the temp once moving

Im looking into getting the ff manifold intake dome made out of carbon fibre atm to reduce the behemoth weight and to reduce heat soak

It aint cheap but i think it would be worth it

• Informative
Reactions: ShocknAwe

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
You cant log iat's in the manifold as the temp sensor is in the charge pipe

You would have to physically put one in one of the pi ports to see the real difference

When your standing still the manifold would heat soak no matter what material its how fast it will drop the temp once moving

Yeah, forgot about the sensor location. So how did VTT do their IM testing, or were their results bullshit.

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
That's why I had FabFactory make mine in sheet metal.
intake.jpg

Reactions: martymil

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Yeah, forgot about the sensor location. So how did VTT do their IM testing, or were their results bullshit.

Not sure you would have to ask them

At high air velocity i dont think the manifold temp would matter that much to tell the truth but than again i haven't tested this theory

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Yeah that's good to find out how much the manifold heatsoaks but doesn't really tell you what is happening to the air temp inside the manifold especially in the upper rev range

The only way to truly test it is to put a temp sensor in direct air path through a pi port and measure the difference between charge pipe and inlet port temps

At low speed or idle in a heatsoaked manifold the results would be less that favorable vs the oem but at high speed it would be negligible looking at my logs