aftermarket intake manifold - what are the benefits?

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I would think you'll heatsoak the CP to the same temp since you'll have no thermal barrier between the head and the CP with a metal IM, no?

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Because the charge pipe is right next to the fan and its pretty thin it doesn't absorb heat like the manifold

Its also in a direct airflow path from the fan

Plus it gets cooled quickly with the internal airflow from the ic especially when the car is moving

At low loads definitely you can see from the log the temps sit a few deg higher but once you nail it the temps just drop

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Because the charge pipe is right next to the fan and its pretty thin it doesn't absorb heat like the manifold

Its also in a direct airflow path from the fan

Plus it gets cooled quickly with the internal airflow from the ic especially when the car is moving

At low loads definitely you can see from the log the temps sit a few deg higher but once you nail it the temps just drop
You're also assuming a ff manifold. The manifold will stay hot longer than the cp, sure, but if they're both aluminum, they should both dump heat into the intake air at the walls at the same rate given the same flow velocity.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
When the manifold is heat soaked you cant touch it but the charge pipe you can quite easily and you can leave your hand on it for quite some time

Must be because of the thickness of the material

Its just an observation, could not be stuffed measuring it

In my case it doesnt affect performance but im getting the dome done in carbon fibre to reduce weight from 12kg to maybe 6 to 7 kg

Its only a guestamation but its going to look much cooler and will definitely retain far less heat with a huge weight saving.

E92 420

Corporal
Jul 8, 2017
United Kingdom
Ride
BMW e92 335i
In my case it doesnt affect performance but im getting the dome done in carbon fibre to reduce weight from 12kg to maybe 6 to 7 kg

Its only a guestamation but its going to look much cooler and will definitely retain far less heat with a huge weight saving.

Custom plenum creations are releasing a carbon fibre IM soon, in the next couple months I’m told. It will be available through VAC. In fact I think they are based in OZ

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I've been helping a local shop develop one for the last 6 months, should have a complete sample in the next few weeks ready for testing but its going to be a pressed sheet metal manifold, its a ram tube design so should help lift the power in the top end.

weight saving should be 5 to 6 kg over the ff manifold and reduce heat soak drastically and it will come with an optional charge pipe to suit single, twin and tft style turbo applications.

Reactions: Jeffman

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
You know what manifolds don't heat soak? The stock ones. Still waiting on someone to show actual proof of a better manifold for this platform. Sure some of the aluminum ones gain up top, but if you aren't revving higher what's the point?

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
You know what manifolds don't heat soak? The stock ones. Still waiting on someone to show actual proof of a better manifold for this platform. Sure some of the aluminum ones gain up top, but if you aren't revving higher what's the point?

think the waffle serves a purpose other than sound dampening? I'd be pretty interested in n insert to covr it, such a pita to clean.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
You could make a bolt together carbon clamshell piece that would add some strength and better looks...

That would be awesome. Even sheet metal would be fine. Just don't sell the idea to VAC. We'll be paying $2000 for it.

This is a damn good idea. You could have some sort of logo imprinted on it or some text. I'm gonna add this to my list of things to 3d model, maybe someone will beat me to it.

Do it! Flat black plastic insert clipped into the waffle would be perfect. Make them stamped with ///N54 or something. You'd make a killing as long as it didn't fall apart like the BL coil plugs lol.

kayzrx82

Corporal
Apr 4, 2018
Ride
n54 335i
Whats the weight difference or gain between these cnc manifold and a stock one?

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
That is a lot of weight to put up there.

I guess...It's bolted to the engine so stress is not an issue. Any quality made manifold is going to add about the same unless you use composites. Which could honestly increase the price. Something this platform does not like ;) but I guess if you are chasing high hp numbers and need an intake manifold like this you are already past the point of no return.

Something like this for instance obviously designed for our inline six: https://www.amsperformance.com/cart/alpha-performance-r35-gt-r-carbon-fiber-intake-manifold.html/

• Agree
Reactions: kayzrx82