2019 X5 M50d Quad Turbo explained

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
The two larger turbos are one casting. So when one goes you have to pay to replace both. I mean it would be probably be bad ass under warranty with a tune but out of warranty? Could be a nightmare. I will never own another BMW diesel SUV after my two E70s. Still a cool SUV I guess.

Reactions: 135itp

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
The two larger turbos are one casting. So when one goes you have to pay to replace both. I mean it would be probably be bad ass under warranty with a tune but out of warranty? Could be a nightmare. I will never own another BMW diesel SUV after my two E70s. Still a cool SUV I guess.

Looking into a E70d, what put you off so badly?

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Looking into a E70d, what put you off so badly?

Both of mine have a JBD tune on them which is a nice adder, I highly recommend it. Nice bump in low end tq. The N52 versions are fucking SLOW so not an option. The N55 would have been smarter looking back...also the 2011s(I wanted the LCI facelifts) did not get the 8 spd auto tranny that they should of. Instead they got the 6 spd auto tranny, so worse acceleration and MPG that what it should have gotten. The N55 received the ZF 8 spd.

Both have check engine lights right now. The white one routinely throws a CEL, I delete and it will stay off for a few months it's also some turbo pressure code which is not real, as far as I can tell. My black one the small top turbo shat itself so I had to buy a used turbo and replace it, bearings went bad, EGR cooler was cracked, as something else which I forget. The black also had the o2 equivalent NOX sensors(cost $650 each) that I had to replace both, luckily covered under extended warranty that goes to 120k(because they are so unrealiable), mine failed at 118k. So BMW had to pay for those. The caring costs of them is what I do not like. Now my DEF heater is bad. $450 + at least 5 hours of labor(mine).

There is not a ton of info online about them unlike the N54 for instance. Limited forum information and interaction. So hard to DIY or diagnose things. Parts are also significantly more expensive because of the diesel and being an SUV it seems....which I guess makes some sense as it is a larger heavier vehicle.

I don't trust many shops, the one I do trust hates the diesel engine and flat out refuses all work on them, even mine.

The BMW adviser when I was getting my 02 sensors replaced and 1 of the many recalls, not knowing it was my car, flat out said I would never own one of those above 100k miles.

So...I really like it when it is running. A beast in the snow, does not handle like a heavy SUV on the highway, tons of low end tq for getting around town or getting up to speed on the highway. Looks good, but it is the costs which piss me off. These E70s will be the last BMWs I ever own. Wife loves hers and mine I keep dumping money into. I really wanted to hit 200k with both of them being diesels. now I think I am lucky if I can pay to make it to 150k.

Oh, and I tried trading mine in. Multiple used car dealerships, when I told them it was the diesel, said nope conversation done not touching it. My guess is they got burned before or know their reputation.

That being said you can make the little 3L into a stump puller!

It seems if you do the emissions deletes the ABC deletes they become 'more reliable' and obviously produce more HP and gobs of low end tq. But that is Roughly $1700 in parts before labor and you can still throw CELs for emissions parts that fail afaik, like the DEF heater for instance. You also have to keep the SUV full of DEF, which is not bad, it's cheap, but it is one more thing to piss me off. I was praying BMW was going to get caught like VW so they would buy these back and I could start fresh.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
FFS. I was reading and looked like it would be a more reliable way to get 500+ tq as compared to the X5M. Also looking at the P Cayenne but those are so damned LONG.

Really appreciate your insights. Think I'll probably stay away, I don't need another money pit.

Both of mine have a JBD tune on them which is a nice adder, I highly recommend it. Nice bump in low end tq. The N52 versions are fucking SLOW so not an option. The N55 would have been smarter looking back...also the 2011s(I wanted the LCI facelifts) did not get the 8 spd auto tranny that they should of. Instead they got the 6 spd auto tranny, so worse acceleration and MPG that what it should have gotten. The N55 received the ZF 8 spd.

Both have check engine lights right now. The white one routinely throws a CEL, I delete and it will stay off for a few months it's also some turbo pressure code which is not real, as far as I can tell. My black one the small top turbo shat itself so I had to buy a used turbo and replace it, bearings went bad, EGR cooler was cracked, as something else which I forget. The black also had the o2 equivalent NOX sensors(cost $650 each) that I had to replace both, luckily covered under extended warranty that goes to 120k(because they are so unrealiable), mine failed at 118k. So BMW had to pay for those. The caring costs of them is what I do not like. Now my DEF heater is bad. $450 + at least 5 hours of labor(mine).

There is not a ton of info online about them unlike the N54 for instance. Limited forum information and interaction. So hard to DIY or diagnose things. Parts are also significantly more expensive because of the diesel and being an SUV it seems....which I guess makes some sense as it is a larger heavier vehicle.

I don't trust many shops, the one I do trust hates the diesel engine and flat out refuses all work on them, even mine.

The BMW adviser when I was getting my 02 sensors replaced and 1 of the many recalls, not knowing it was my car, flat out said I would never own one of those above 100k miles.

So...I really like it when it is running. A beast in the snow, does not handle like a heavy SUV on the highway, tons of low end tq for getting around town or getting up to speed on the highway. Looks good, but it is the costs which piss me off. These E70s will be the last BMWs I ever own. Wife loves hers and mine I keep dumping money into. I really wanted to hit 200k with both of them being diesels. now I think I am lucky if I can pay to make it to 150k.

Oh, and I tried trading mine in. Multiple used car dealerships, when I told them it was the diesel, said nope conversation done not touching it. My guess is they got burned before or know their reputation.

View attachment 24566

It seems if you do the emissions deletes the ABC deletes they become 'more reliable' and obviously produce more HP and gobs of low end tq. But that is Roughly $1700 in parts before labor and you can still throw CELs for emissions parts that fail afaik, like the DEF heater for instance. You also have to keep the SUV full of DEF, which is not bad, it's cheap, but it is one more thing to piss me off. I was praying BMW was going to get caught like VW so they would buy these back and I could start fresh.

Jesus.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
FFS. I was reading and looked like it would be a more reliable way to get 500+ tq as compared to the X5M. Also looking at the P Cayenne but those are so damned LONG.

Really appreciate your insights. Think I'll probably stay away, I don't need another money pit.

Jesus.

Read that. Guy has full deletes tune etc. No boost until 3k and has been going on since August of last year. No end in site. Money dumped in no one has a clue. This is my biggest fear. I know what a CEL x5 with no boost is worth, not jack shit. Logging sucks on the platform.

Look at the threads in the the D section. Half of them are about troubleshooting, a failure, what to do, etc.

Fsociety

Lurker
Mar 20, 2017
Ride
X4 M40i, F80 ZCP
I would never put a JB*anything* on any of my cars, only recommend it to my enemies or ppl i want to beat
Cheap but not good long term!

Reactions: matreyia

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
E70 X5d, E39 528iT, E46 325xi

View attachment 24566

I thought we discussed this already. I fully deleted mine with a tune from DUDMD, and zero issues so far. Truck is solid and routinely returns 27+mpg.

Doing the trans service next week. Solenoids, complete flush, pan/mechatronics sleeve, and tune from Rod. After that it's the FAI harmonic balancer, off to the dealer for the idler pulley/airbag recall and I'm done. I've had the truck almost 5k now with 113k on it. In June it's going to Tampa. Can't wait.

Reactions: Torgus

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I thought we discussed this already. I fully deleted mine with a tune from DUDMD, and zero issues so far. Truck is solid and routinely returns 27+mpg.

Doing the trans service next week. Solenoids, complete flush, pan/mechatronics sleeve, and tune from Rod. After that it's the FAI harmonic balancer, off to the dealer for the idler pulley/airbag recall and I'm done. I've had the truck almost 5k now with 113k on it. In June it's going to Tampa. Can't wait.

I just fully deleted and tuned mine. I will be taking possession of it in about 2 hours as I had a shop do the work. If I like it enough the white x5 might get the same treatment.