2019 upgraded twins choice for 650whp

What turbos would you choose for the most reliable and best power?

• Total voters

JimboFresh206

Sergeant
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335/635/535/533/633
I love Audi's, they keep me employed ;)

The only one that I would want again would be a 20v urs4..

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeffman

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Sorry for derail but does anyone have anything I should be aware of or look out for and filippo what made you hate the car? At first glance it seemed the 4.0t is a great platform send FWIW on research on the audi side they praised the zf8 as an upgrade on the rs vs the dct on the s I found that interesting. They also stated PDk and m shift dct are the best so we likely have higher benchmark as far as that goes.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Please expand. Audi interiors look so much better than ours.
Parts prices were ridiculous. 8 lbs of crap packed in a 2 lb bag - hated working on it. Even more stupid design decisions than BMW. My car had a crimped flex line to hard line for the fuel ... over the exhaust manifold! And it leaked! Replacement cost - 10 hours of labor under recall - they had to basically take the car apart to replace the fuel line. Drove like a German oldsmobile - in the twisties, unsettling anywhere near limit.

But other than that, I'd own another one :tonguewink:

Filippo

• Funny
Reactions: NoQuarter

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Parts prices were ridiculous. 8 lbs of crap packed in a 2 lb bag - hated working on it. Even more stupid design decisions than BMW. My car had a crimped flex line to hard line for the fuel ... over the exhaust manifold! And it leaked! Replacement cost - 10 hours of labor under recall - they had to basically take the car apart to replace the fuel line. Drove like a German oldsmobile - in the twisties, unsettling anywhere near limit.

But other than that, I'd own another one :tonguewink:

Filippo
Wow I never expected your response to make the pic in my mind of s6 turn into what it just did lmao . I felt like 2016 was goldilocks yr too . I really would love v10 m5 but I should get something good in snow maybe I should look at diesel 5 series. Those s55 cars tho make some STUPID power lol. Im so lost

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I really would love v10 m5 but I should get something good in snow maybe I should look at diesel 5 series. Those s55 cars tho make some STUPID power lol. Im so lost

Off topic but we picked up a 958 Cayenne GTS V8 as our hauler/inclement weather truck a few months back. 4.8L V8 has plenty of grunt. Air suspension and locking diffs are a beauty.

Briefly considered diesel, however it's not available everywhere and I question its longevity as a fuel.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Last one I promise any thoughts on 2016 550xi fully loaded like b and o radio exec pack all driver assist packs and 44k miles with 11 months left on warranty for 31k i think im gonna bite as that yr should be good right. I know 17 has better idrive and new platform

Reactions: Jeffman

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Wow I never expected your response to make the pic in my mind of s6 turn into what it just did lmao . I felt like 2016 was goldilocks yr too . I really would love v10 m5 but I should get something good in snow maybe I should look at diesel 5 series. Those s55 cars tho make some STUPID power lol. Im so lost
Last one I promise any thoughts on 2016 550xi fully loaded like b and o radio exec pack all driver assist packs and 44k miles with 11 months left on warranty for 31k i think im gonna bite as that yr should be good right. I know 17 has better idrive and new platform
Its funny you mention those two cars - I've always loved and wanted an e60 M5, and WILL own one someday. Right now I could literally pay cash for most of the ones that pop up on cars.com near me, but I need a car for the winter since my N54 is now a car clearly geared as a track weapon and even when I was just FBO it didnt work in the Chicago winters without trying to kill me at least 3x/year.

I've been looking at 14-17 550i xdrives lately and will also probably bite on one of those. The N63TU seems to have fixed 90% of the issues with the original N63 - or at least all the serious and expensive ones or engine replacement level failures - but theres very very very little aftermarket support right now. You can buy DPs, intakes and a tune right now plus theres 2 or 3 options for hybrid turbos if M5 turbos wont at least bolt up to the N63TU manifold (VTT stage 1, Pure stage 1 and 2 - if S63TU M5 turbos at least bolt on which I expect they would and you just wouldnt have the twin scroll benefits then theres much more such as real deal ally mcbeal Garrett GTX3076RS turbos with a 3" inlet) and that's about it for OTS mods. However me and someone from FB (Nick Marinos if you're active on the FB pages) have plans to come up with some of the basic bitch mods that make legit decent power like a S2 lpfp, I might come up with inlets if this other company doesnt release their "M5 style aluminum intake" which is both an inlet and intake with provisions for the MAF sensor. And obviously theres a handful of tuners especially on bootmod3, plus options like the JB4 that can control the electronic wastegates alone.

Personally I think N63TU (especially w/ Xdrive):S63TU as the N54:S65. Lots of untapped potential on those cars considering the N63TU and S63TU in the F10 M5 share 90% of the same hardware and engine components. The F10 M5 has forged pistons, larger + twin scroll turbos, a very unique exhaust manifold and different valvetrain but that's it. I think with a LPFP upgrade, real inlets, higher BAR TMAP sensors and an e50 tune you would easily be in the 10s. Throw in upgraded turbos and possibly larger inlets/turbo snout plus some relatively minor weight reduction and you could have a DD track monster that may or may not make the HP of an all out N54 build but would certainly give it and any S55 or most S63s a serious run for their money at the strip.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I prob would leave stock except tune and exhaust maybe just cause I dont wsnt it to be faster then my e9x after spending enough on parts to buy the new car lmao. Anyway I need a daily I just looking for first hand experience of the 17 is a big upgrade cause if is I'll get a 17 or 18 and chalk up the expense to longer warranty. I just feel like I found really good deal with this 2016 but Idk enough about the platform.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I hate Audi’s just because

audi's are no fun. Good handling and 4wd and all but now that bmw is in the 4wd game, there's no reason to go audi, unless you like their interior design...which is bit too busy for my taste. Audis are very serious cars, no fun at all...

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
audi's are no fun. Good handling and 4wd and all but now that bmw is in the 4wd game, there's no reason to go audi, unless you like their interior design...which is bit too busy for my taste. Audis are very serious cars, no fun at all...
Think that depends on the audi rs4 is fun but I hate that their whole lineup is based on the 2.0t until you hit the supercharged v6. But rs7 is nasty car I just couldnt bringmyself to go for a s6 it did have better features ahead of bmw but bmw def implements the features it has better if that makes sense. And honestly my 550 m sport with nappa and shit blows away the s6 prestige interior. Used be Audi's were best interior but very cold and cheap looking imo unless stepping up to the CF trim.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
The RS3 is awesome, ran 163.5 standing 1/2 with FBO and a tune (on E85) Car launches like the Saturn V. It's a different "awesome" vs. my 12 year old 6MT RWD sedan to be sure, but very well put together. Tony then put slicks on, pulled rear seat and ran 10.2.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
10.2 on which that's nuts either car? This 550i can run 11.7 with just flash, kinda has me upset I have be careful to make it faster than my e92

MDORPHN

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Ride
BMW 1M
The RS3 is awesome, ran 163.5 standing 1/2 with FBO and a tune (on E85) Car launches like the Saturn V. It's a different "awesome" vs. my 12 year old 6MT RWD sedan to be sure, but very well put together. Tony then put slicks on, pulled rear seat and ran 10.2.

It absolutely kicked ass in this year's One Lap of America.

Neil

MDORPHN

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Ride
BMW 1M
Just the same...not a fun car. Too serious. Plenty of cars faster than e9x cars but few that are as fun to drive.

Agree. Lots of very effective electronic wizardry, but less engaging. I was happy that we kept ahead of the RS3 (but behind the overall winning TTRS) in a far more gnarly 1M!

Neil

Last edited:
Reactions: matreyia

Coupes66

Corporal
Dec 26, 2017
Ride
BMW 335i N54
Recently, at a Test N Tune meeting, there was a stock looking Audi RS3 sedan turn up that ran a 9.98s. There was also a VW Golf R that ran a 9.91s. It is amazing how technology has advanced over the years.

2BIG4A335

Feb 7, 2020
You really seem to know your shit.

I'm sure you must a have an idea of what boost a set of upgraded twins like the game finishers, stage 3s or, pure stage 2s should be running in order to sustain a reasonable lifespan?

Care to offer up some suggestions?

What sort of power/performance results can someone expect out of those turbos when run at an optimal boost?

Thanks.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
You really seem to know your shit.

I'm sure you must a have an idea of what boost a set of upgraded twins like the game finishers, stage 3s or, pure stage 2s should be running in order to sustain a reasonable lifespan?

Care to offer up some suggestions?

What sort of power/performance results can someone expect out of those turbos when run at an optimal boost?

Thanks.

To whom are you speaking to?

Reactions: seb.apprenti